Anyone besides myself using braided silica rope for wick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I used to use cotton as wicking material in all my builds, but as you know, you can't dry-burn cotton.

About a year ago I started using braided silica rope for making wicks. The nice thing is that you can dry burn the stuff without it burning up (no need to replace the wicks all the time).

Now, I will admit that I am basically a "tootle puffer", so in my style of vaping, the silica always keeps up with my required juice flow ... it never gives me dry hits, but maybe if I was doing straight lung hits with a real high-watt build, it might not keep up like cotton does (I just don't know for sure).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else here is using braided silica for there wicks.

BTW ... here is how I install it (the photos show cotton yarn, but the silica rope installs the same way)

As you can see, the double strand of the silica rope is just pulled through the coil using a piece of wire, then cut to the required length.

Obviously, the wicks in the second photo are still too long, but you get the idea anyways.

Coil2.jpg

Coil3.jpg

Reactions: motordude

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Perhaps it is the demand for very high juice flow that has made cotton so popular in high wattage situations. Maybe availability and low cost were a factor. I have begun using braided silica in lower wattage applications with very good results. I fluff the ends up a bit to encourage better wicking. I continue to enjoy silica's forgiving nature should I get close to an empty tank or a dry hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread