Anyone cleaned out the "metal taste"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
I get something from time to time, that might be what you're calling a metallic taste... I think of it as slightly soapy, maybe? It overlays the flavor of the juice and leaves it kind of flat-tasting. Anyway, I've definitely had a weird taste stick to the atomizers so that I got it even while dripping without a cartridge.

I've attributed this to either the atomizer getting too hot and heating up the cartridge filler so it takes on some of its taste, or stray fibers sticking to the atomizer. I went through all of my atomizers at one point because they all had that taste to some degree, blew them out and went through the Joye Tech cleaning procedure I posted here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...maintenance-instructions-joye-technology.html

... put a drop of liquid in each and let them sit overnight, and the next day they were good as new. I've had the taste come back in a couple of them though, which leads me even more to believe it's a cartridge stuffing issue, though it may just be due to overheating the atomizer itself.

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
I agree. This is likely a cartridge stuffing 'flavor'. Oft times after leaving the same cart on my 510 for a couple days it starts tasting 'funny'.

Best thing I found is to go purchase the green label 'premium polyester fill' bag from Walmart. It's the size of a pillow for less than $3. Makes about a bizillion cart stuffings. First thing I had to learn was not to make the stuffing too heavy. Cut about a square inch of loosely 'pulled apart' fibers (just so you can start seeing thru them). Squeeze them into a tube shape without twisting or clumping them. Then insert into a cart with a paper clip or a pair of tweezers. Cut off about a couple milimeters that protrude from the top and gently work it in. Looks exactly like a new cart. Take a straight pin and gently fluff the fibers from all sides all the way down inside the cart. I rotate my old stuffing every other day on carts I am using. Never get any weird taste that way.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
I just switched to a new atomizer as my other one wasn't producing like it should, I will try and clean it tomorrow.
Anyway, with the new one, I am getting that burnt metallic taste. I tried a couple of different carts. When I go back to the old atty, the metallic taste is not there. Not sure what is going on here. I had this once before with a 401 atty, and it finally got better with time. I hope this one does. I am going to set it aside and break out yet another new one and see what it does.

jingai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Florida, USA
I haven't had this taste for a long time now, I am not sure if quiality has improved, I take better care of my atomisers or retire the cartridges for dripping when they start gunking up!

Interestingly, I had this taste when I first got my 510 atomizers, and I just blew one out because it was getting kind of hard to draw... and immediately, it tastes like crap again.

Dunno why, but maybe they taste better after a bit of use *because* of the gunk? It's so disgusting at the moment that I'm debating having an analog before bed.. which is a shame, because it tasted so good just 20 minutes ago :(

-j

Anonomo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Missouri
I cleaned two atomizers on Sunday using the cleaning method others described(soaking in alcohol, rinse, dry for 24 hrs). I dripped a few drops in the atty before using with a topped off cart. The first 3-5 draws produced an absolutely foul burnt metal taste with very little vapor. It took close to 10 draws before the burnt nasty taste went away. This was definitely different than the dry burnt cart taste to my taste buds. I got the same nasty result with a new atomizer. I'm thinking it's related to the wicking material in the atomizer. I will try dripping and letting it sit for a few minutes before using next time.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
I soaked the one atty I had that was giving the bad taste in alcohol, then gave it a good rinsing at let it dry, it still had that bad taste, though not as strong.
I have since boiled it for five minutes in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, and also put some citric acid in the solution, then rinsed thoroughly. I have not yet tried it again. I seem to have gotten it mixed up with the other 16 or so attys I have. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread