Anyone doing keto and vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Would anyone mind telling me, in one paragraph or less (I can do more heavy lifting on it later) what the major difference is between KETO and the older ATKINS diet?
Roughly the same. If you have high cholesterol, stay away from it! To me, it can be more harmful than beneficial. You need a controlled amount of carbs in your diet.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Would anyone mind telling me, in one paragraph or less (I can do more heavy lifting on it later) what the major difference is between KETO and the older ATKINS diet?
Adkins didn't allow for vegetables. Keto allows plenty. Modified Keto is more veggies and light on the meats,, but making sure you get good fats,, ie,, avocados or olive oil.

i tend to stay heavy on the veggies,, and meat only when i am really hungry. my daily calorie count is around 700 no problems with hunger (i intermediate fast,, about 1 hour a day),, if I am hungry,, some fish or chicken is normally what i have and that raises my calories to around 1000-1200. no big deal,, keto tries to focus on 'filling you up' with just a bit of healthy fats.

there is some talking that,, 'calories in does not = calories out,,,the theory is that dif foods weigh on your body dif... i can kind of 'see that' when i eat meats,, i seem to retain them more.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Roughly the same. If you have high cholesterol, stay away from it! To me, it can be more harmful than beneficial. You need a controlled amount of carbs in your diet.
fwiw,, our bodies create cholesterol as 'man made bandaides',, having a high lcl means your body is working hard to repair something,, expecting our views/education will change down the road on the topic as more is discovered. (and yeah,, probably should limit how much we consume)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

TY.
I think rather than overloading my diet with animal fats, I would just cut way back on "bad carbs" and eat a reasonable amount of lean protein and veggies.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
fwiw,, our bodies create cholesterol as 'man made bandaides',, having a high lcl means your body is working hard to repair something,, expecting our views/education will change down the road on the topic as more is discovered. (and yeah,, probably should limit how much we consume)
No or very few diabetes doctors endorse the Atkins diet because of several complications. I have familial cholesterol, meaning my mother had it. I'm taking meds and no, some people can't deal with high levels of fat. Their already overworked liver can't take any more. The diabetic plate is a great place to start. I've been doing that for a long while and it's working great.
Arme su plato – Asociación Americana de la Diabetes

Reactions: stols001

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
No or very few diabetes doctors endorse the Atkins diet because of several complications. I have familial cholesterol, meaning my mother had it. I'm taking meds and no, some people can't deal with high levels of fat. Their already overworked liver can't take any more. The diabetic plate is a great place to start. I've been doing that for a long while and it's working great.
Arme su plato – Asociación Americana de la Diabetes
we are talking healthy fats,, not animal fats,, avocado & olive oil,, omega 3+9 from fish if possible. if the diabetic diet allows you to eat man made carbs,, then its not going to work/cure. then the conversation turns to 'does this doctor/group really have my best interest'

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
we are talking healthy fats,, not animal fats,, avocado & olive oil,, omega 3+9 from fish if possible. if the diabetic diet allows you to eat man made carbs,, then its not going to work/cure. then the conversation turns to 'does this doctor/group really have my best interest'
Nevertheless, they're fats. Good or bad, the liver has to process them. And in people with high cholesterol, the liver already produces cholesterol on its own. They are healthy in the long run, but for the person with a hereditary condition, all fats are just that. Fats.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I have to stick to an involuntary diet, medication-induced, which forces me to 100% drop anything that is considered ripened/matured/fermented/brewed... the good stuff I used to love. No treated meats, no cheese, no tomatoes, no cream or quark, no joghurt, no chocolate, no bananas, no beer... you get the drift. If I didn't have all sorts of aromas for mixing my liquids, substituting the real thing for the taste and smell of flavored vapor, I'd probably go nuts.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
I have to stick to an involuntary diet, medication-induced, which forces me to 100% drop anything that is considered ripened/matured/fermented/brewed... the good stuff I used to love. No treated meats, no cheese, no tomatoes, no cream or quark, no joghurt, no chocolate, no bananas, no beer... you get the drift. If I didn't have all sorts of aromas for mixing my liquids, substituting the real thing for the taste and smell of flavored vapor, I'd probably go nuts.
im with you for other reasons,, basically I dont trust the food supply and I will be damned if I trust any medical doctor/group w/o a proven cure record.

no glutten
no dairy
no sugar
no man made carbs
no fruit

yes that leaves me pretty limited,, to veggies and mostly fish, chicken when needed. but I am the only 1 in my family not on meds of some sort. people these days would rather take a pill or have a procedure to fix them rather than try eating healthy.

vape fills in the 'flavors'

the upside,, grocery shopping is cheap and easy,,,, better things in life to concentrate/enjoy other than food.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
To be honest, I wish it were different. I would like to at least have the freedom, once in a while, to eat something that is yummier than it is healthy. But I can't. Not even a tiny bit. Infact, eating a handlarge camembert cheese, which I used to love, would probably kill me now. That's how unforgiving my medication is. On the other hand, an explicit threat of death in the drug's instruction leaflet gives me the proper motivation to stick to the diet ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread