anyone else getting the hiccups from e-smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I've not experienced that, but am not surprised. On the snus forum I frequent, many new snusers report hiccups as a common side effect to using the little tobacco pouches. Of course, they are swallowing tobacco fluid, and hopefully you're not. You, however, might be "gulping" air -- leading to hiccups and/or burping more.

Another common side effect reported on that board? Insomnia. This seems to be proportionate to whether nicotine stimulates you or relaxes you. Stimulated types will have trouble falling asleep and many report vivid "nicotine dreams."

The most common effects of e-smoking seem to be sore throat, a hacking cough from the nicotine hitting the back of the throat, excessive phlegm production, headache from nicotine overdose, and leg cramps from propylene glycol becoming lactic acid in the lungs. Oh yeh, your urine might smell different. It's loaded with cotinine. Nothing dramatic to worry about though.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
From research I did on heart health, a glass of wine a day is damn good for you. So is a single -- emphasize single -- beer. Or a single shot of liquor. I use that single shot in a daily milkshake made with low-fat frozen yogurt and low-fat milk. Works for me! Also good for your heart? Daily ounce or so of dark (not milk) chocolate. I have a bunch of things I've done a long time, like baby aspirin, etc., learned in my years as a health editor.

You sound like you're already savvy, however. :lol: No preaching to the choir.

VP2008

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Richmond, VA
TropicalBob said:
From research I did on heart health, a glass of wine a day is damn good for you. So is a single -- emphasize single -- beer. Or a single shot of liquor. I use that single shot in a daily milkshake made with low-fat frozen yogurt and low-fat milk. Works for me! Also good for your heart? Daily ounce or so of dark (not milk) chocolate. I have a bunch of things I've done a long time, like baby aspirin, etc., learned in my years as a health editor.

You sound like you're already savvy, however. :lol: No preaching to the choir.

I'm not savvy -- I'd love to have a list of simple things to do each day that would benefit my health. Quitting tobacco was the first step. Never heard about the lemon thing. Knew about the wine but can't do that and can't do the baby aspirin because of meds I take for several autoimmune diseases (sure cuts out a lot of the good stuff!!). I knew about the dark chocolate and have doing that for about six months now. (and no I"m not telling where I hide the choc stash). Oh and that condroiton stuff? It makes my knees hurt so bad I can't walk till the sh** gets out of my system entirely. Tried it twice with same results both times. Never again!

What else should we be doing?
VP

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
sanneke said:
Yes,you did say "might".

I really am thirsty all the time, and drink loads of water.
The other thing I do is squeeze out a lemon and drink that straight without adding any water first thing in the morning, before I drink my coffee.
It's good for your liver.

Maybe I should switch over to wine.
What do you think?
I think the wine would be better at the end of the day. Although, I guess that would depend on the type of day. :lol:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
What else should we be doing?
VP

The shelves groan with books on health, most with the same basic advice that's been proven over time -- stop smoking, exercise in an easy non-competitive way, maintain a good diet and appropriate weight. But what we e-smokers want to do is focus on mitigating the most deadly consequence of nicotine: Circulatory and heart problems.

With every jolt of nicotine, your arteries narrow, your blood pressure rises, your heart beats faster. Nicotine is thus a vasoconstrictor. Keep narrowing your arteries over a period of time and they "harden" in that narrowed position, restricting blood flow. You get hearing loss, eye problems, impotence and cold feet and hands. Clots form easier. Nicotine clobbers your good cholesterol, as well. All of this makes you more likely to suffer a heart attack or stroke earlier than a non-nicotine person.

So in addition to the normal good health practices, work to shore up your circulation, to prevent plaque buildup. Every test the late pioneer Dr. Roy Walford did on animals fed a restricted-calorie diet (1/3rd normal intake!) led to longer life for those animals. Watch your diet. Watch your fat intake. Lose weight if you need to. Then add some "heart healthy" practices, like the daily baby aspirin to keep blood thin and flowing freely, a daily chunk of 70% or better cacao dark chocolate, a single shot of alcohol in another beverage, a handful of almonds (go easy on other, fatty nuts), and spicy foods that bulge your eyes and pop beads of sweat. The best heart-friendly almonds, BTW, are Blue Diamond BOLD Almonds with jalapeno powder on them.

Take a tablet of concentrated pomegranate daily. This is the newest darling among health freaks, a kind of Roto-Rooter for your arteries. It's the only thing said to reverse plaque buildup in arteries.

Make sure you get enough vitamins and minerals. On a restricted-calorie diet, that can be difficult. Walford (remember him as a kind of Capt. Kirk of the Biosphere project) took a daily multi-vitamin for insurance. You don't have to go overboard with special antioxidants, etc. Just balance things out and don't come up short on important ones like C and the B complex.

The first step toward making healthy changes is researching the downside of our favorite drug as it impacts your circulation, brain, liver and pancreas. Then ask a doctor or health authority what practices will keep what you have in top shape.

Okay, I'm been serious long enough. Hope the info helps.
NEXT WEEK:
The Pinky Fingers: Do We Really Need Them?

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
very good advice bob...but i wonder if its just people of a certain age who worry about those health concerns you mentioned...younger people dont worry about stuff like blocked arteries...its like science fiction to them-do you remember how immortal you felt when you were younger?the "naw,it'll never happen to me" syndrome is strongest then.that vanishes as you get older though,and reality kicks in! ;)...and after all,almost everything enjoyable has its downside when not taken in moderation-drinking,smoking,sex,chocolate,grass,fastfood,gambling,vaping etc...i think the vast majority of folks with addictive personalities,or more commonly those of us who are just plain old addicted to one thing,rely on denial to get them through life...until they get a wake up call...

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
All true. But damage repair has a higher price than damage prevention. Not many conditions, not even lung cancer, happen overnight. It takes years of abuse to suddenly "have" something. So if a younger person takes steps throughout life to prevent damage, the odds of a healthy old age increase. I understand that no one wants to just "get old" and spend years being tube-fed in a nursing home. It's the quality of the end-life period that is the goal. That's what a healthy lifestyle contributes to. So, yes, the tips strike older smokers as relevant; younger ones don't even think of getting old. But old happens ... sometimes before we're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread