anyone else have to deal with unsupportive family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
For unnamed reasons I am no longer in college and am currently living back in my parents house. I just turned 22 and have not smoked for some time now (although I love dip, and have dipped at least once a week for a while now). But the dip is besides the point, ecigs keep me off of stinkies. I mostly vape in my room upstairs, and try to be respectful, because neither of my parents smoke. Well the other day, I got some strawberry cheesecake eliquid and was vaping it. My mom came home and proceeded to ask me if I had been burning anything in my room. I told her no, but I had used some new eliquid, which she then told me to make sure not to burn down the house, and that it smelt like burning ash... I was blown away. My brother (who is 30, so 7 1/2 to 8 years older than me) came over and was talking to me about the same time my mom said she smelt the "burning smell". He likes my ecig and said he couldn't smell anything other than strawberry. To be honest, at this point I feel like my mom would rather me smoke cigs than vape. Atleast when I was smoking cigarettes she didn't make any comments about smell or whatnot. The crazy part is, when me and my dad are drinking, he will try my ecig, and taste the different juices I have, even though he has never smoked! anyone else have to deal with unsupportive family members? oh and my mom is a dental hygienist, so that doesn't;t really help.

tl'dr: my mom thinks my ejuice smells and makes comments about it, but never made comments when I smokes stinkies. She is a dental hygienist

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Wow... Sorry to hear about that. I've not dealt with that because I'm married and me and my husband both Vape now. You would think your mom would rather see you Vape than smoke. It's much healthier. Apparently she doesn't like fruity smells?

Good luck. I hope your mom comes around for you. :vapor:

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Wow... Sorry to hear about that. I've not dealt with that because I'm married and me and my husband both Vape now. You would think your mom would rather see you Vape than smoke. It's much healthier. Apparently she doesn't like fruity smells?

Good luck. I hope your mom comes around for you. :vapor:

Thanks for the reply! I think a lot of it has to do with the small amount of "government studies" done on ecigs. I feel that she seems to think because the FDA has not approved of them, that they are somehow worse for you. I guess its more the "unknown" that scares her possibly. either way, I cant believe she makes more comments about me now than when I smoked!!

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Well I used to have an person in my life that complained about my vaping....but not anymore :D I like the advice about educating. Not sure how much good it will do though. Most of my family members are supportive. Some of them are ex-smokers and some current smokers (quit when I am dead variety). You could try cracking a window open, going out side or just ignore the nagging.

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
You could just ask her if she has concerns. Educate yourself and then educate her and show her the true facts about ecigs.

Oh I have defiantly educated myself, and have tried educating her, but to be honest man, she sees "smoke" and its bad for you. Ive tried, but I only wish she could see how things really are. just wondering if anyone else had to deal with a lack of acceptance by family members

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well I used to have an person in my life that complained about my vaping....but not anymore :D I like the advice about educating. Not sure how much good it will do though. Most of my family members are supportive. Some of them are ex-smokers and some current smokers (quit when I am dead variety). You could try cracking a window open, going out side or just ignore the nagging.

lmao glad you got rid of the unsupported!! but yeah, ive just been considering vaping outside or cracking my bedroom window like you mentioned... its just too easy to vape in my bedroom when im watching tv, or chillin on the computern:D

Mikie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
I don't have to deal with anyone unsupportive in my life, sounds like you have too if you are living under someone else's roof. Family or not you aren't living by your rules right now. Fix that first and vape outside until you can.

My favorite line, "The crazy part is, when me and my dad are drinking" wish my dad had been as cool, or maybe not :facepalm:

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't have to deal with anyone unsupportive in my life, sounds like you have too if you are living under someone else's roof. Family or not you aren't living by your rules right now. Fix that first and vape outside until you can.

My favorite line, "The crazy part is, when me and my dad are drinking" wish my dad had been as cool, or maybe not :facepalm:

lmao yea my dad is somewhat of a beer advocate, and ive followed in his footsteps :). He is defiantly more supportive than my mom. He is glad I don't smoke, and makes remarks all the time about how "good" I smell now that I don't smoke lol. Why would you maybe not want to drink with your dad?!?

If anything my dad is probably my best friend, the only person I can 100% know has my back at any time, so im happy to drink a few and chill with my old man!!

jwoode

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
East Coast
Well you're living in her home.. that's kinda the bottom line.

There are people who form opinions, then can't see beyond those opinions.
If educating her is not an option, then let it go.. and vape outside.

My mom is 89.. she proudly tells her friends all about my e-cigs. I even had to take it out and demonstrate for them.. then passed my VTR around for them to look at.. Before I left.. I slipped into the bathroom to wash the mouthpiece.

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well you're living in her home.. that's kinda the bottom line.

There are people who form opinions, then can't see beyond those opinions.
If educating her is not an option, then let it go.. and vape outside.

My mom is 89.. she proudly tells her friends all about my e-cigs. I even had to take it out and demonstrate for them.. then passed my VTR around for them to look at.. Before I left.. I slipped into the bathroom to wash the mouthpiece.
;

OH don't get me wrong! I respect my parents like crazy! and if she asked me to stop vaping inside (like she asked me to quit dipping) I would do it without a heartbeat! It is their house, and I respect their rules! I just wish she would be supportive, and understand my point of view on how it is helping me

Mikie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
lmao yea my dad is somewhat of a beer advocate, and ive followed in his footsteps :). He is defiantly more supportive than my mom. He is glad I don't smoke, and makes remarks all the time about how "good" I smell now that I don't smoke lol. Why would you maybe not want to drink with your dad?!?

If anything my dad is probably my best friend, the only person I can 100% know has my back at any time, so im happy to drink a few and chill with my old man!!

Because for me, my dad was an alcoholic, and I was an alcoholic. The last thing I would have needed was my dad drinking with me lol. It's all good now. He passed away and I have stopped drinking. At your age it just struck me as odd you are drinking with dad, with mother .....ing relentlessly in the background :p

Get to a point in life where you can move out on your own, and then do what you want. That should be your goal, not "educating her".

Sounds like your dad would love to come over and have a couple of beers,and that is awesome to me :)

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Ask your dad if he's sneaking cigarettes and smoking them when he thinks your mom is not around.

hahahaha no way my old man is sneaking cigs... actually when he uses my ecig every once in a while when were buzzed off alcohol, I can tell the nicotine gets him! theres been a couple nights when me, him, and my older brother were drinking where he took a vape and then proceeded to go to bed, and I knew it was bc he doesn't use nicotine and he was buzzin like crazy :D

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
Not really had to deal with anyone being anti-supportive. But some of the people around me have mentioned that I've been talking to them about vaping to much XD I don't even really notice it when I'm doing it.. just sorta happens. Been trying to keep track of when I'm talking about it and stop myself quickly. Glad to have ECF here as an outlet for all the stuff I want to say!

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Because for me, my dad was an alcoholic, and I was an alcoholic. The last thing I would have needed was my dad drinking with me lol. It's all good now. He passed away and I have stopped drinking. At your age it just struck me as odd you are drinking with dad, with mother .....ing relentlessly in the background :p

Get to a point in life where you can move out on your own, and then do what you want. That should be your goal, not "educating her".

Sounds like your dad would love to come over and have a couple of beers,and that is awesome to me :)

Oh man, really sorry to hear about your dad, I cant imagine what that feeling is like yet. And my main goal is to get out on my own, but im currently working as an insurance salesman for allstate, and me and my dads plan is to go 50/50 partners in purchasing an office next year, so he actually wants me to stay in his house and save some money for the time being. But my dads brother IS an alcoholic, along with other drug abuse, and I defiantly have some substance abuse problems myself! exactly the reason why I have quit smoking pot, and have cut down on my drinking drastically.

But yes, my dad loves to drink a few beers with me, and we both love going to all the local breweries here in charlotte!!! thanks for the support man

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Maybe she is just annoyed and nitpicking with you because you dropped out of college..? Don't skip out on your education son... :p

lol she has gotten over out of me dropping out of my college, but I am only 21 credits away from graduating, and am still enrolled at queens college here in charlotte. I will graduate within the next year with a bachelors in business management, so she is def not annoyed with me leaving college where I was, and my reasons for leaving actually had to do with getting away from drugs (I was at Appalachian state university which has a lot of drug use) so if anything she is kind of supportive on that front

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Not really had to deal with anyone being anti-supportive. But some of the people around me have mentioned that I've been talking to them about vaping to much XD I don't even really notice it when I'm doing it.. just sorta happens. Been trying to keep track of when I'm talking about it and stop myself quickly. Glad to have ECF here as an outlet for all the stuff I want to say!

haha im the same way! I always talk to my friends about vaping when they are smoking, and im sure I get annoying, so when I catch myself I try to shut up quick lol. always glad for ECF as well to get my vape convos out of the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread