Anyone else shy about e-smoking in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I'm only a bit shy to be bravado enough to not ask the establishment owner for pre-permission and just use it publicly..

But any other times I simply vape away and love the opportunity to explain the device to those who are interested.

However, I do get a little charge out of confrontational's and their uneductation "loud" claims to gain audience, especially junior security guards thinking they've just made the bust of the century having caught someone "smoking" where their not allowed.... haha.

Like I said.... its a kick to me, and I'm not a little guy which makes it even funnier when these worms quickly slither down from their soapboxes with an unexpected sense of defeat, while their audience chuckles.

:D

VapeOn,
Greg

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Hubby & I ARE shy about vaping in public... but we get such a kick out of vaping in restaurants after dinner. We've mastered holding a napkin up to our mouth, just like we've just wiped our mouth, but haven't set it down yet. We hold the e-cig inside the napkin and it works great... except that we're always watching to see if anyone notices the vapor if we let it out too soon... we are such bad OLD kids! !:D

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
+1 :(

I end up doing it in secret (out of the public eye), then someone points it out, and people gather ...

the airplane trip last week was the worst. the flight attendant made me stand up and do a demo in the front of the aircraft. almost peed my pants ... :(

i have zero cahones

They spottend you vaping on a plane and approved?

KUDOS! :D

booboo

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, over a year ago, when these things were still unheard of, I started smoking them at work in the smoking section. I got so much attention and questions and had to explain the same thing so many times, I couldn't even enjoy my break. I am a wallflower anyway who likes to blend in and avoid the spotlight at all costs. They just wouldn't leave me alone--especially when I killed all my batteries and had to go back to analogs. So, this time, I am not smoking at work at all. And that 8 hours without my vape is worse than missing a cig. A customer was vaping one last night and I craved that more than I have any of the million cigarettes smoked in front of me every night. And even though it's really not against the rules to vape outside the smoking area, I don't want to make waves and draw attention to myself, so I go without!

MrsJaaxx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.juicyliquid.com
I don't mind. I enjoy telling people all about what it is-- most seem to think it's pretty darn cool! But I can see where it would be horrible for a person who isn't comfortable talking to strangers or talking in front of the small group that tends to gather. And I can completely understand how it would be really annoying if you were just trying to have a quick smoke break at work!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Look in the Alternatives section and see if any other nicotine product interests you. After a restaurant meal, I immediately put a Stonewall dissolvable tablet or Camel snus in my mouth. No one can see it. It's not messy in any way. It does not draw any attention. It starts putting nicotine back into my system -- and tastes good, too.

I'm happy until I can return to using my e-cig outside the restaurant.

If e-cigs fall on "hard times," you would be wise to have an alternative method of satisfying your addiction -- anything but returning to inhaling cigarette smoke.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
I am working on an "explanation pamphlet" for when I am late and cannot explain it so people can just read the basic info about it. Including ECF and puresmoker.com on it. Then it is easier for them to explain to their "smoker" friends.

I'm only a bit shy to be bravado enough to not ask the establishment owner for pre-permission and just use it publicly..

But any other times I simply vape away and love the opportunity to explain the device to those who are interested.

However, I do get a little charge out of confrontational's and their uneductation "loud" claims to gain audience, especially junior security guards thinking they've just made the bust of the century having caught someone "smoking" where their not allowed.... haha.

Like I said.... its a kick to me, and I'm not a little guy which makes it even funnier when these worms quickly slither down from their soapboxes with an unexpected sense of defeat, while their audience chuckles.

:D

VapeOn,
Greg

Absolutley! I was thinking about some sort of pamphlet, all summed up on a business card. That is, when I don't feel like explaining myself or just not in the mood to enlighten others. Yes this sounds mean, but I'm not really the type to worry about others and they're anti- ways, I dont really have that much disregard for the type of people like the woman from CBS "We would say to stay away from a product that reinforces the smoking habit". Those kind of statements boil my blood and lead me not to give any mind to the public. As long as its still legal, I Will do it absolutely any time I have a craving or an urge, no matter where I am. Most of the time, I don't mind explaining about its safety. :)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
MonkeyMonk: I think you can find a great deal of information in the Alternatives section of the forum. They are made by Star Scientific, an American company, using highly processed Virginia tobaccos, then with flavoring/sweetener added. My local tobacco shop carries them; I think I was the first to ask for them two years ago and now he has numerous customers buying boxes every week.

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
i'm shy to vape in public, mostly because i don't want to be bothered. but i do it anyway. i've vaped at the doctors office, restaurants, work, pretty much where ever i want. but i try not to be obvious about it.

a few times i've been "caught" on the exhale but i've never been approached, just given puzzled looks.

the public opinion doesn't bother me so much, i'm more concerned about opinion from my smoking friends, which so far has been mixed.

b00stzx3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Frederick, MD
I got the solution- just don't exhale. If you hold it in for 30 seconds ya pretty much don't exhale anything. The few times I been "caught" I said it was Nicotrol inhaler and they belived me. Hold it in your sleeve near your wrist and just hold it in and breathe out and nothing comes out. No need to explain to a bunch of people what e-smoking is, they usually don't get it.

ejfan1977

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Kingston, Washington
I have been freely vaping in the lunchroom at work. Since all my co-workers know about it, it is no big deal. I have done the occasional sneak while shopping, but like I said it was a sneak. I wasn't blatant about it. I did the old turn my head hide the light and held it in a little longer for minimal visual. I am of course happy to share this technology with anyone who will listen and therefor I demonstrate it frequently.

hopps

Dec 16, 2008
WI,USA
I've found I'm a well conditioned analoger,I knew my boundaries to smoke and mostly stick to them as a vaper.However I will push my boundaries now that it's possible.(ei:go near an exit to vape,but not out into the cold like I did as a smoker)
I don't wish to be hassled or interrogated about my ecig from strangers.(I don't really enjoy strangers period ,spose that makes me anti social eh?):cool:

cadbomb

Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, I've never shy'd away from pulling mine out in public. I don't mind explaining and enjoy every opportunity I get to inform people that there is a better way to get your fix! :) I was a little timid at first, but I got over that pretty quick. Then again, I'm well known for being an oddball, so I guess it just fits my personality. Either way, I'd like to "convert" as many people as possible, and I see no harm in telling a total stranger that there is a better way. I try to sell these things as much as possible so we can get a good market going, because I believe that these will solve so many of the problems that smokers are faced with as a whole, and the more people know, the less concerned they are likely to be when we as nicotine addicts pull out our fixie sticks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread