Anyone ever set off a smoke detector with their vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster Keaton

Oct 26, 2011
United States
The reason I am concerned is that i am a filmmaker and I have used smoke machines burning pure PG on a couple sets and they always and i mean always set off the smoke detectors. I even used one outdoors and there was a set of airlocked double doors near the set. By airlocked i mean a set of doors, then a small vestibule and then two more doors. and the smoke detectors went off inside when someone went inside and it was more than 50 ft from the doors.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
If you're vaping like a smoke machine, then I'm jealous. Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Seriously though, I take really really hot showers during the winter, and the bathroom gets so that you have to swim to get to the door. I -have- set off the smoke alarms with that before, but the fog in the bathroom was super thick.

If it weren't 2AM with everyone sleeping, I'd go vape into my smoke alarm for a few minutes...but it is, and I can't.

I wouldn't say you were being paranoid though, just cautious. It's probably not a bad idea to just blow it toward the other corner of the room. Unless it's super humid, the vapor dissipates within a few seconds anyhow.

-X

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Yes, it can set a fire alarm off. BUT unless you are vaping a lot of vapor toward the detector its not likely to go off. Not much different then smoking a cigarette in that reguard. I've smoked in a lot of hotel rooms in past years all with smoke detectors and I've never set an alarm off. Doesn't mean it cant happen, but doesn't mean its automatically going to either. Caution in vaping in your dorm room is a good thing if you don't wish to call attention to your vaping.

ardelleg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
In one week in a motel I did have the smoke detector go off one time while vaping. Most of the time I had a fan going and that one time I didn't. So it can happen..... I would think any kind of small fan keeping the air stirred around would be more than sufficient. Especially since having it go off involves a fire drill.....

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Well i was curious after reading this thread. Got up and stood on chair and almost broke my old neck as the chair at the computer swivels .
Anyhow i took some good puffs without any inhale and blew right at the smoke alarm nothing , i tried this 3 times nothing. It does work as once in a while when cooking it goes off if something spills like cheese from a pizza.
As a note we have the carbon alarm also and i could not make it go off.
Im sure there all different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread