• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone here in australia used e-lusion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lapsus_linguae

Nov 16, 2010
Australia
Hi Liz,

I started with an elusion. Here's my 2c:

Pros:
* Customer service was good, and delivery time was reasonable given that it had to come so far (as you say, NZ).
* Pre-filled cartos made starting out a no-brainer, which made getting on with quitting smokes easier
* I really liked the taste of the 6mg tobacco cartos
* In my case, everything worked straight out of the box (sad to hear this wasn't the case for you)

Cons:
* Initial setup is expensive compared to a locally bought 510 starter kit
* Ongoing costs are huge compared to other models, because you have no choice but to keep ordering refills from elusion themselves (with associated shipping costs)
* Not compatible with any other attys, cartos etc so no possibility of upgrades or mods in future
* Longer wait for replacement parts/refills because of need to order from OS (an issue if you have epic hardware fail over a long weekend, let me tell you!)
* Battery life isn't great (but the charger case is nifty!)
* Automatic battery will eventually flood and fail if you try to be tricky and refill the cartos yourself

Should you get one? Despite the cons, I'd still say yes. I guarantee you will upgrade to something better within months, but as far as starter kits go the learning curve is not as steep as the equivalent 510 setup, and the build quality is much better. I found the elusion so user-friendly that I stopped smoking analogs the day it arrived in the mail, and i haven't gone back since! Far better to have a more expensive but effective stepping stone, than to get overwhelmed by a fiddly system that turns you off ecigs before you've even seen the benefits.

(When you do inevitably upgrade I'd suggest an eGo tank- no mess, no fuss, just top-up and vape away all day long).

Last edited:

eils51

Aug 17, 2011
W.A. Australia
Hey Liz, congratulations on making the first step. I also started off with and elusion and had no problems with the equipment. It is a good starter, from my very first vape I have never had an analogue, but pretty soon I got my Ego setup and gave my elusion to my brother. As time goes by and you read everything you can in these wonderful forums, you will be really informed about nicotine, flavours and equipment. Happy vaping and happy researching!

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Hi liz121. I didn't start on Elusions, they were my 2nd brand. I liked the menthol 6mg and found it more like a real cigarette in terms of taste & drag/inhale than my first brand. I also loved their small size. Like others here, I didn't have any issues with reliability - the batteries, PCC & cartomizers all worked perfectly.

Yes, they are a little pricey compared to some types and the batteries don't last long before needing a recharge. I would suggest getting their PCC and/or a 3rd battery, because their small size = less time before recharging.
The 2 piece system of battery & cartomizer is infinitely more convenient than 3 part systems requiring separate atomizers, especially for a beginner.

If you're new to vaping and want something inconspicuous & cigarette-like, Elusion are pretty nifty. I went back to KR808D-1 type batteries after a while, but I did like my Elusions.
Good luck with finding the set up that works best for you.

Last edited:

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
Anything that gets you off traditional cig is a good thing, but...

Elusion are incredibly expensive. I started on them and placed a follow up order of cartos, but I just couldn't afford them. I was spending more than I was on smokes. They tell you 1 cartomizers equals 1 pack of smokes which is totally incorrect. I was vaping at least 2, sometimes up to 4 cartos per day. Everything about Elusion is expensive. Get yourself a 510 or 808 and the world of vaping opens up to you. Whether you want pre-filled cartos to just vape and toss away, or you want to try buying juice and refilling cartomizers, you'll be miles ahead with an 808 or 510.

Good luck with vaping experience.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
One thing to consider, when we say Elusion are expensive: we are buying them in AUD from NZ - a country against which we traditionally have a good exchange rate. Right now we are above parity with the US dollar, but I remember a time when $1 AUD bought .49c USD, so double every purchase & shipping amount. Right now things are good, we can bet it won't stay that way for too long. Given that many Chinese sites also charge in USD, it'd affect their value for money too.
Elusion are relatively expensive - at the moment. :laugh:

I still think that they aren't a bad choice for those starting out, simply because there are so many e-cig brands out there, and so many different set ups. Elusion have the advantage of being;
local (well, NZ)m, small, cigarette-like and not a bad vape - to begin with.

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
I see your point katz, at the end of the day if a product gets you off smokes it's worth every cent. The main reason I wouldn't recommend Elusion as a starting point for new vapors, is you would be very limited in your options. You can't use different cartos with their batteries, you can't refill their cartos and they have very limited flavours. Part of the fun of vaping is trying different flavoured juices and different set ups.

If someone asks me what to buy, I always recommend grabbing a couple of 808 batteries, 10 pre-filled cartos and a charger. Basic set-up cost is about $30. If they don't like it it's not the end of the world, if they do like it the world is their oyster as far as options go.

If someone starts with elusion, they're $150 in the hole from the get go and the gear they have isn't compatible with anything. The quality of their gear is OK, but knowing what I know now, I couldn't honestly recommend them as a good starting point for new vapors.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
You make some excellent points noodleambrose. I do agree there are more flexible starting systems and KR808D-1 would be my personal recommendation.
I use a very reasonably priced KR808 brand now, which has a fabulous range of flavours. It isn't necessarily the one I'd recommend to someone starting out, mainly because of some quality control issues. I think when you start out, you want something reliable, easy to use, and cigarette-like. For that, Elusion are good, in their own way. Once you've gotten into vaping and off the cigarettes, there is a world of options to explore.

chrismp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Australia
I see your point katz, at the end of the day if a product gets you off smokes it's worth every cent. The main reason I wouldn't recommend Elusion as a starting point for new vapors, is you would be very limited in your options. You can't use different cartos with their batteries, you can't refill their cartos and they have very limited flavours. Part of the fun of vaping is trying different flavoured juices and different set ups.

Good points for sure and for someone like myself I'd agree completely with your advice.

The thing is many people that want to get off cigarettes and just beginning to learn about vaping want the most simple option - something that just works. The huge amount of choices, customizations and venders is a large amount of information to digest. Sometimes too many choices is a bad thing :)

When I've used an Elusion it worked fine, and from what I've heard they're very reliable with not much that can go wrong. It really isn't a bad place to start, many people that I've talked to who gave e-cigs a try and had problems/became confused got turned off them completely. As you said, if it gets someone off the smokes it's the main thing, and I've known people who were very satisfied with elusion stuff. Eventually they'll probably find out about the diverse range of other ecigs and want to try something bigger/better.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Eventually they'll probably find out about the diverse range of other ecigs and want to try something bigger/better.

Or maybe (gasp!) get off the evil cigarettes and wean themselves off ecigs, rather than get mired in the whole confusing world of vaping. :laugh: That's what I originally planned to do.
Unfortunately I seem to like vaping just as much/even more than smoking :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread