Anyone here interested in model trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
This is a 4' x 2-1/2' plastic N scale layout that was unpainted when I got it. I laid the track and did the painting and landscape. I think it came out pretty decent considering it's the first time I've ever done anything like this. It's not done yet. I still need to ballast the track, add some "water" to the pond behind the houses, add some accessories like vehicles and people and street lights.
This is how it progressed and a video at the end.

layout-1.jpg

layout2.jpg

layout3.jpg

layout4.jpg

YouTube - Terrain For Trains N scale layout

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Very nice job! Those landscape kits are great, aren't they? I didn't do much with model railroads myself, but my ex husband played with them quite a bit. I read his Model Railroader magazine - I think he had every issue ever printed.. He did HO. I always preferred the N scale, and thought Z was amazing. I never could find a Z scale steam engine, only diesel. If there were a Z scale 4-4-0 out there, I think I'd finally try building my own layout.

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
We have an O gauge MTH set that we put up for Christmas every year. I usually buy a rail car and more track each year to add on to it. We made a couple tunnels and a water tower with cardboard tube and foam, then glued polyfill on them for snow and spread it around...nothing like you have though. With the track layout this year and one more car added...the engine just misses the caboose by about 1/4" on the circle...it looks like it is going to crash when it was running. The steam engine is cool with the smoke unit but I really want a diesel and get some grade on the track!!

P1010591.jpg

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
I have that same MTH set too. It was a gift from a friend and I only have a circle layout for it. The controller burned out and I need a new one. It's really a heavy duty well made train.
I have 5 cars on the N scale loco. I'd like to add more but it is straining to pull those up the grade on the right side. I'm thinking of getting another loco to help with the load.

MTH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread