Anyone know what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
This came out of one of MV's new flashlights. I see that coil in there, is this stepping up the voltage? I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but if it is & it works with 3.7v, Hoog, you've struck gold with this one.:)
4508558872_5855fa21c1_o.jpg

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Dang! that looks just like a booster circuit with the inductor and all. Bet it can't supply the amps we need though :( I'm gonna have to dig a bit deeper now... I do know that If I throw a 3.7v battery in these there's no light.. I thought i was just a spacer :(

hoog

I'm getting nothing through the + side anymore. I was trying to wire in a connector.:) D*mn tiny, flimsy wires...
Hoog, what are you seeing?

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
And Sci I blame the needing a Flashlight on you for bringing up there were new ones. That Green one is talking to me. :hubba:
Plus I can play with that thing you found in them as well when I get one. 8-o

LOL. I get blamed for everything I do...:confused: I know for sure it's in the black one, don't have any of the others. I've got more of the black ones coming.:p Been looking for one that size, the board is a bonus.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Got my replacements in(thanks for the spares, Hoog).:) I soldered some wire to where the LED legs are connected, the meter is across those wires. I soldered the wires from the battery box to the +/- of the backside of the circuit board. Here's a picture with a AA 1.5v(metered @ 1.48v).

Flashlight-Circuit.jpg

Ok, it more than doubled that batteries voltage.
Now, here is a 14500(metered @ 4.08v)
Flashlight-Circuit-3-7.jpg

It did not double, but still an increase.
Ok, it's been a while since I opened an electronics book, so can one of you electronic gurus explain what is going on here? Why the double with the AA @ 1.48, but only a slight increase with the 14500 @ 4.08? And, how can we use this to our advantage?:)

jenntek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Allegheny National Forest
Looking at the multi-meter... You used a 1.2v alkaline battery first.
Then a Li-ion battery rated at 3.6 with 900mAh. Is this battery fully charged and fresh or slightly drained?
Interesting. Maybe it sort of just makes it ramp up by 1.2v no matter what battery is put on? This board could be seeing 4 batteries rated at 1.2v? where in reality, the 3.6v might be the "3" 1.2v batteries drained a bit? Does anyone get what I just typed?

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Looking at the multi-meter... You used a 1.2v alkaline battery first.
Then a Li-ion battery rated at 3.6 with 900mAh. Is this battery fully charged and fresh or slightly drained?
Interesting. Maybe it sort of just makes it ramp up by 1.2v no matter what battery is put on? This board could be seeing 4 batteries rated at 1.2v? where in reality, the 3.6v might be the "3" 1.2v batteries drained a bit? Does anyone get what I just typed?

It had a little drain on it. A freshly charged one has around 4.2v, this one metered @ 4.08. I've got the board on a breadboard, but have been sidetracked/busy & haven't been able to really put it through the paces.
I understood what you typed.:) I just tried a (fresh)9v battery & lost a little voltage. 9.26v->9.14v. Something on the board got really hot pretty quick & something made a crackling sound.8-o I may have fried that one.:)
The above pics were showing the circuit tested without a load. I did hook up a battery connector & atty to see if it would vape(1.2v). I metered across the battery connector and it was getting the 4+v, but not producing enough current to produce vapor. I think the current was around 280mA.
I really wish there was a way to use this circuit for our needs. I'd love to be able to pop in a 2500mAh 1.2v & vape.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread