anyone rebuild an atlantis coil yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
Not the solution but real close. I played with one yesterday at the B&M great flavor and vapor for a tank and it was on a raptor not sure what they were pushing through it. The bvc is huge like looking down the barrel of a 22 lol. It's still not as good as my orchid as far as flavor but it is close. My firend at the B&M has been thrashing it since it came in last Saturday said it's performance hasn't changed yet on max vg dark juice 6mg nic. I'm not pulling the trigger yet want to see how it shakes down after heavy use.

UncleDagger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
NW Indiana, USA
I opted to rewick using the existing R/NR coil. I've tried rebuilding it using straight kanthal and the big issue is that the rubber grommet doesn't handle a pure resistance wire coil too well and it begins to burn. Also sometimes you will get a hot leg when using only R wire and it will give you a semi-dry type metallic vape. I've rewicked the same head 6 times using the stock R/NR coil and it's going strong. Here's the tutorial.

http://youtu.be/H6ZBh4X8wQo

congaman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Saint Augustine Florida
Rewicked one yesterday with KGD cotton. Much better. No leaks or gurgles. Great vapor and better flavor. I also used the existing R/NR coil. I think next time i will leave the outer band of filler(where the holes are) in place though. That was the most finicky part of the whole process, otherwise, fairly easy to rebuild. Used James Martin's rebuild video off of you tube as guide. Thanks James!

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
Saw a post where a guy shared his method for removing the shim that holds the outer band of cotton in place. He puts the coil housing in a 3/8" socket and uses a drill bit to tap it out. Puts the shim back in with a clamp. He uses this method for the Nautilus BVCs but it should work for the Atlantis coils with a bigger drill bit.

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
I used UncleDagger's tutorial to rewick with Shiseido this evening. Thank you for that video BTW. :thumb:

My outer layer of cotton stayed in place when I removed the coil so I just let it be. Not sure where I messed up but mine started dry hitting pretty quick (4-5 drags). My first 2 attempts to reinsert the coil had too much cotton on it to get it back into the tube. I cut 3/4" off the 3rd attempt. Seemed snug when I was pushing it back in, oozing juice all over. Maybe removing 2 holes worth of the stock outer cotton is really the trick. I'm picturing this coil having an air gap between the stock outer layer and my rewick which would kill the process. I probably just vaped the juice I primed with and never got any from the tank.

Had great flavor until the dry hit so I'll keep messing with it.

Getting that first wrap nice and tight is really hard to do! I'm thinking next time I might try to have a little extra cotton at the top so I can mush it down after reinserting into the tube. In my simple mind that will provide some needed compression that otherwise seems impossible ATM.

I wonder if someone will make an aftermarket rebuildable coil head for these... I don't know exactly how that would work either, I just throw ideas out there hoping someone with a CNC will make it happen then sell them to me cheap-ish. :D

RickD312

Jun 19, 2013
United States
please share link info to the post you mentioned about using a drill bit and socket. i searched for it but could not find it. thanks for sharing

Saw a post where a guy shared his method for removing the shim that holds the outer band of cotton in place. He puts the coil housing in a 3/8" socket and uses a drill bit to tap it out. Puts the shim back in with a clamp. He uses this method for the Nautilus BVCs but it should work for the Atlantis coils with a bigger drill bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread