Anyone see this add yet from truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
These are the same ones that say tobacco companies open hajimarts in lower income areas to target minorites (mainly black) to smoke. They're the same ones that say smokers make a million $ less in their lifetime than non smokers as if cigarettes are the reason why.
The only one they got even close to correct is the one that the cigarette dude tells the smoker he owns him and he will do what he's told when he's told. Other than that it's just more hate bait.
I've been half sick since I quit smoking but the weather here in Virginia has been the biggest reason. Hot, cool, mold out the ying yang, pollen season, etc. I've also herniated a disc in my back since I quit so I guess vaping caused that because as I get my lungs back my new strength caused my old discs to break down?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
I loved the fact commercials. They always used to make me want to smoke more, like all the jazzy music and neon and smoking talk made me excited. Or anxious. In which case I also wanted to smoke.
"This is your brain.
This is your brain on drugs.
Any questions?"

Yeah, can I get a side of bacon with that?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I think they are funded almost 100% by BT.

It doesn't matter who funds TRUTH when THIS guy is their content creator:

head-up-your-rear.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My first real introduction to smoking was at age 15. A cigarette company rep came walking through the grandstand at Calloway Gardens passing out free windproof Kool logo lighters and free packs of Kool Cigarettes while the water ski show was going on. I was 14 or 15 at the time and he didn't ask for ID. My friend and I had smoked before, but never bought a pack.

I wish someone would come around and pass out free mods and attys. :)

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Everbody who has responded to this has stated that since switching they get fewer colds. I'm one of those too. Vaping is better for the body than smoking, i'm sure all ex smokers will agree on this.
However...
There probably is some truth in the fact that vaping will suppress the immune system compared with not inhaling anything but air.
If this ad is geared towards non smokers then i wouldn't really have a problem with it. The fact is though that smokers will use this as another excuse to not even try vaping. And that saddens me.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
There probably is some truth in the fact that vaping will suppress the immune system compared with not inhaling anything but air.

The problem with the "nothing but air" theory is that the "air" scientists compare vaping to doesn't exist, except in labs. Go to any city of any reasonable size and I can promise the "air" isn't all that great for you either. Where is the TRUTH on that?

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    By this point any group calling themselves "truth" should be a red flag.

The Truth ad that bugged me was the one where they state tobacco companies have increased the addictiveness of tobacco, and it flashes double the nicotine on the screen. For one thing, the verbal statement isn't really the same as the graphic one, I wonder if their "expert" actually said what the graphic says or that's just their graphics person's interpretation. At any rate, the general progression of tobacco use has been to civilize tobacco and reduce nicotine compared to natural tobacco. If you, for example, reduce nic to one tenth and then double it, that's still 1/5 of where it started. I could definitely see an argument that cigarettes are more addictive because a reduction of nic, but that would invite thinking.

Reactions: Swoop03

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've been half sick since I quit smoking but the weather here in Virginia has been the biggest reason. Hot, cool, mold out the ying yang, pollen season, etc. I've also herniated a disc in my back since I quit so I guess vaping caused that because as I get my lungs back my new strength caused my old discs to break down?

Vaping opens up the lungs and the bronchial tubes, I guess. I've had one respiratory flu-like episode since I started vaping, but that was during a time when my sister-in-law and her pre-teen boys were staying with us for a couple of months. They had it, she had it, and I got it. I can't blame it on vaping, though.

Other than that episode I've been much healthier vaping than I was over my smoking history. I hardly ever get sick anymore, except for an occasional sniffle during pollen weather.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    By this point any group calling themselves "truth" should be a red flag.

The Truth ad that bugged me was the one where they state tobacco companies have increased the addictiveness of tobacco, and it flashes double the nicotine on the screen. For one thing, the verbal statement isn't really the same as the graphic one, I wonder if their "expert" actually said what the graphic says or that's just their graphics person's interpretation. At any rate, the general progression of tobacco use has been to civilize tobacco and reduce nicotine compared to natural tobacco. If you, for example, reduce nic to one tenth and then double it, that's still 1/5 of where it started. I could definitely see an argument that cigarettes are more addictive because a reduction of nic, but that would invite thinking.

The expert and the graphics person probably BOTH look like the pic of the guy I posted back on page 1 anyway.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Agreed.
    But irrelevant. We all (smokers/vapers/non-users) breathe the air and the pollutants - there really isn't a lot of choice.

Unless; Someone can prove that e-liquid vapour traps airborne pollutants and neutralizes them ! J/K

I somehow missed this post earlier. I disagree that it is irrelevant. It is relative but not irrelevant. Even if vapor does add some little bit of harm, if it adds LESS harm than the air in my city then what is the point of worrying about vaping? With all the pollutants in the air causing all sorts of problems, vaping is inconsequential. Now if we were in the 1800's and the air was still relatively clean, then maybe it would make a difference.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2014
    central Virginia
    Vaping opens up the lungs and the bronchial tubes, I guess. I've had one respiratory flu-like episode since I started vaping, but that was during a time when my sister-in-law and her pre-teen boys were staying with us for a couple of months. They had it, she had it, and I got it. I can't blame it on vaping, though.

Other than that episode I've been much healthier vaping than I was over my smoking history. I hardly ever get sick anymore, except for an occasional sniffle during pollen weather.
    Being around my school age daughter, my grandkids and non hygienic truck drivers on a daily basis I pretty much live in a Petrie dish of possible illnesses. Though i keep sinus issues most of the time they're not as severe as when I used to smoke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread