• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone see Tricare ever adopting e-cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

projo198

Jan 5, 2012
Olathe KS
I know they would FINALLY have to be accepted by the FDA, but Tricare currently carries nicotine gum as a viable alternative to smoking. In most cases you have to attend smoking cessation classes first, but they do issue it.

It would be great to see these given as a 2nd alternative to gum and traditional smoking. For the DOD it is really a dollar amount issue, so either way they are winning by decreased medical claims in the future.

Tektronik

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
Moore, Oklahoma
Sounds like a great idea, although I think that still may be some ways off (rather far) from that happening. FDA approval would have to be first. Then the medical community would have to actually come out and say something positive about E-cigs. Finally, you'd have to get the e-liquids as some kind of prescription for TRICARE to cover it.

Just my thoughts. Interested to hear more from others...

Tektronik

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
Moore, Oklahoma
Thanks for providing that link. I read the memorandum. So that's the government's official stance on E-cigs eh? That's horrible. It's as if we haven't moved forward in any way since this all started. They are still using that original study from 2 and a half years ago. I'm sure if someone was to get some kind of illness or medical problem with using e-cigs, than SOMEONE here on this forum would have said something! But look how long it's been. We're all lab rats for vaping and i've never heard of anything bad come out of it yet, have you?

Kim151

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2012
Hawaii
It seems that the military are usually very slow to act on anything and are usually really stubborn on changing their policies once they adopt the new policy. With this, I feel the military will not endorse e-cigarette's in any shape or form for a long long time. Just my thoughts on this subject. But it would be nice to see e-cigarette's as one of the tobacco cessation aid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread