• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone try these "no-filler" cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
Killface, aren't these the ones Eric(mindfield) is testing out?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ic-tanks-clearos-something-doesnt-add-up.html

Edit: Just noticed, I'm at 9 months today, yah me!

Yes, it is. He seems to still be on the fence, though he does initially like the performance.

I love my carto tanks and don't see myself switching anything up soon, but I'm always willing to try something new to see if it can dethrone the king of vaping, IMO, carto tanks.

(Yes, RBA's taste good but are nowhere near as convenient as carrying around 9 different flavours in 9 different carto tanks for a flavour schizo like me)

Edit: congrats! I'm almost at 11 months, myself.

Last edited:

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
Congrats to both of you! I'm just sneaking up on 2 months here....
and having never tried cartos at all, I'm watching Mindfield's experience with great interest. I'm kind of predisposed to not want to filter my juice through all the filler of a carto, but I haven't tried it and others say it's great, so I'm willing to try. However, if you can get the taste and convenience in a "filler-less" carto, that would be the best of both worlds IMHO

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
Congrats to both of you! I'm just sneaking up on 2 months here....
and having never tried cartos at all, I'm watching Mindfield's experience with great interest. I'm kind of predisposed to not want to filter my juice through all the filler of a carto, but I haven't tried it and others say it's great, so I'm willing to try. However, if you can get the taste and convenience in a "filler-less" carto, that would be the best of both worlds IMHO

I'll wait for Mindfield's judgement on these new non-carto cartos, but trust me, you'll love actual cartos. Imagine taking as big of a lungful as you want, vaping straight for a minute without stopping and blowing out huge clouds of vapour. I've always resented the low performance of clearos because they just can't do those things like a carto.

What kind of PV are you using? If it has more power than an eGo, you definitely need to try a dual-coil carto. 90% of my cartos are 2.5ohm smoktech dual coils and they're just the greatest. I also use some smoktech single coils for some juices (mostly Backwoods Brew's juice, it just pops better in the single coils). If you have a twist, you should try smoktech 2.8ohm single coils. I have to recommend the ones without a pre-punched hole and flange. I recently tried the ones with the flange and the 2 I've tried so far are rather disappointing. They're not as good as the standard ones.

Also, for REALLY thin juices, like BWB honey flue but, Jugz honey badger, flavour crafters, etc., I've found Boge XL cartos work best. The REALLY thin stuff tends to kind of "fall out" of the looser filling in the smoktechs which causes flooding of the connector area. Because of the tightness of their filling though, Boges take longer to fill and you have to give a harder suck to pull in the juice from the tank. But they're still worth it for their performance.

If you have a twist or better, try the 2.8ohm Boges and the LR ones if you don't. (Also, I don't recommend the dual coils on an ego, even a twist and even the 1.5ohm ones.)

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I will agree - the FL and TH of a carto is much better than any clearo I have tried. And no leaks. ST 1.7 ohm is a bomb. I am talking abt regular cartos - not in tanks. My dark juice kills em cartos too fast - and I have never been able to clean em. Clearos I can clean, recoil and rewick - so I have been using em. Leaking is an issue - not much with CE3s - however the vape is too cold for me. CE2s to me give me the best Fl and TH - but are the worst when it comes to leaking if not kept straight. Most places I vape (work, home or car) I can keep em straight - so it works for me...,...

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I'll wait for Mindfield's judgement on these new non-carto cartos, but trust me, you'll love actual cartos....

What kind of PV are you using? If it has more power than an eGo, you definitely need to try a dual-coil carto. 90% of my cartos are 2.5ohm smoktech dual coils and they're just the greatest. I also use some smoktech single coils for some juices (mostly Backwoods Brew's juice, it just pops better in the single coils). If you have a twist, you should try smoktech 2.8ohm single coils. I have to recommend the ones without a pre-punched hole and flange. I recently tried the ones with the flange and the 2 I've tried so far are rather disappointing. They're not as good as the standard ones.

Also, for REALLY thin juices, like BWB honey flue but, Jugz honey badger, flavour crafters, etc., I've found Boge XL cartos work best. The REALLY thin stuff tends to kind of "fall out" of the looser filling in the smoktechs which causes flooding of the connector area. Because of the tightness of their filling though, Boges take longer to fill and you have to give a harder suck to pull in the juice from the tank. But they're still worth it for their performance.

If you have a twist or better, try the 2.8ohm Boges and the LR ones if you don't. (Also, I don't recommend the dual coils on an ego, even a twist and even the 1.5ohm ones.)

Well then I was on the right track.... that's exactly what I was considering getting. I've read lots about the dual coils not working as well, so I wanted to get a DCT, with some single coils to test as well. I have a PowerTube Lambo, eGo Twist, and regular Ego batts.... so I should be set.

But your mention of Boge XLs was interesting. I haven't a clue how the pieces all go together yet, but different cartos have different shapes. Smok seem to have that flange or washer at the.... bottom?.... and the Boge are just tubes, so I didn't know they could be used interchangeably. *sigh*.... always so much more to learn lol ;)

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I can say that my preliminary review on these, based only on a few days worth of usage so far is:

Good:
- Vapor production, flavour, throat hit, and vapor temperature are all absolutely stellar. Everything you could ask for in a CE-based carto, superior to standard cartos. Even on a standard mechanical mod it's fantastic; I have it on my Silver Bullet and it's been brilliant.
- No leaks. Not even a gurgle.
- Coil is exposed and can thus be cleaned and dry-burned like standard atomizers and most top-coil clearos.

Bad:
- Wicknig is an issue. There is only one wick, looks like a 3mm, but the sealed-off design of the cup from the small area where juice is let in at the bottom precludes the carto's ability to wick efficiently, even with customary tipping; sharp primer puffs are required frequently to speed wicking to the coil in order to maintain its otherwise stellar performance.
- I have yet to figure out a way to mod this with extra wicking material or mods to the seal without destroying it.

Interesting:
- Makes an awesome long-barrel dripping atty as long as you mind the holes and don't overdrip.

There are also some issues specific to its use in the U-DCT but I'll cover that in the full review.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
Well then I was on the right track.... that's exactly what I was considering getting. I've read lots about the dual coils not working as well, so I wanted to get a DCT, with some single coils to test as well. I have a PowerTube Lambo, eGo Twist, and regular Ego batts.... so I should be set.

But your mention of Boge XLs was interesting. I haven't a clue how the pieces all go together yet, but different cartos have different shapes. Smok seem to have that flange or washer at the.... bottom?.... and the Boge are just tubes, so I didn't know they could be used interchangeably. *sigh*.... always so much more to learn lol ;)

Well, my top recommendation is to try a 2.5ohm dual coil on your Lambo at 5.3-5.6V. You'll love it.

The flange is there only on pre-punched cartos as they are meant to be in any carto tank. The flange fits into a little recess cut into the bottom of the bottom cap of a DCT. Just makes it a nice fit but is not necessary. However, if your putting a carto tank on something with a narrow top like an eGo, the flange will prevent the tube from sliding down the carto and spilling the juice out everywhere. A type A, B, or C eGo cone would prevent that anyway. On other mods with connectors wider than the carto, the flange is unnecessary.

Cartos are mostly standard-shaped other than that.

Also, get one of these metal tips:
SSDT-2.jpg

#1 on the left.

It is useful for saving the interior orings inside the tank when you're pushing a carto through it. Also, for gently pushing down the carto into the tank for refilling.

Next, canvape has everything you need to try carto tanks. If you get any non-pre-punched cartos, you'll need the carto punching tool try have.

Lastly, don't bother with the tank filling tool they have. Way more trouble than its worth. Don't get me started on how many things are wrong with its design. Just bend the carto to the side to fill and you're golden. If you need help, ask and ill take a pic showing what I mean.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
wow KillFace... thanks so much for all the info.... I have a couple tips, but not like #1.... I have a #2 and 2 #3s.... would they work, or is it the tapered shape of #1 that is the key?

and I'm not worried about filling, as I keep needle-tipped bottles and caps on hand. I needed them for the special tankomizers that my initial eGo-W kit uses, but I find them handy for everything from filling the new mini nova to precision dripping (smaller drips - more control - less flooding ;) )

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
wow KillFace... thanks so much for all the info.... I have a couple tips, but not like #1.... I have a #2 and 2 #3s.... would they work, or is it the tapered shape of #1 that is the key?

and I'm not worried about filling, as I keep needle-tipped bottles and caps on hand. I needed them for the special tankomizers that my initial eGo-W kit uses, but I find them handy for everything from filling the new mini nova to precision dripping (smaller drips - more control - less flooding ;) )

2 and 3 might work. The important thing is that they are narrower than a carto all the way through do they easily pass through the inner orings of the tank. If you're constantly pushing the sharp edge of a carto through them, eventually, the oring is going to get cut and break. Plus, cartos aren't always the exact same diameter. Some fit tighter than others. Using the tip to push the carto down into the tank is very helpful if the carto is tight.

You really don't need a needle to fill it. Push the carto down into the tank so it is just below cap and can move side to side. Bend the end of the carto to the side and it will tilt the bottom cap. Like this:

epgGP.jpg

Notice how the tube is lifted off the bottom cap on one side? When it's like this, there is plenty of room to just pour the juice in with a regular bottle. Like this:

Ajbuy.jpg

Just go slow and don't get any in the carto or it'll flood and you'll waste some juice.

Last bit of advice, push the tank down onto your Lambo. If it makes a seal so that when you suck there's a vacuum, that's good. This works great on a Provari. This is an easy way to suck in juice to keep the carto wet. There's a learning curve for how much and how hard to do this so you don't go too far and flood the tank. It's also different depending in the thickness of the juice. If it doesn't seal, just some good staccato sucks in succession will work.

My rule is, when a bit of flavour hits your tongue, it's time to stop sucking.

Last edited:

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
a-HAH.... a picture really *is* worth a thousand words.... now that I see it all in such great detail, everything you've been saying makes much better sense. Great tips, all.

In my best Columbo voice: "Just one more thing...." I see the holes in the carto are fairly high up.... when your juice gets low enough, even tilting won't let juice in, right?.... I take it you have to keep carto tanks fairly full then? Or am I totally misunderstanding something again?

pherse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
Belmont, Ontario
Well, my top recommendation is to try a 2.5ohm dual coil on your Lambo at 5.3-5.6V. You'll love it.

The flange is there only on pre-punched cartos as they are meant to be in any carto tank. The flange fits into a little recess cut into the bottom of the bottom cap of a DCT. Just makes it a nice fit but is not necessary. However, if your putting a carto tank on something with a narrow top like an eGo, the flange will prevent the tube from sliding down the carto and spilling the juice out everywhere. A type A, B, or C eGo cone would prevent that anyway. On other mods with connectors wider than the carto, the flange is unnecessary.

Cartos are mostly standard-shaped other than that.

Also, get one of these metal tips:
SSDT-2.jpg

#1 on the left.

It is useful for saving the interior orings inside the tank when you're pushing a carto through it. Also, for gently pushing down the carto into the tank for refilling.

Next, canvape has everything you need to try carto tanks. If you get any non-pre-punched cartos, you'll need the carto punching tool try have.

Lastly, don't bother with the tank filling tool they have. Way more trouble than its worth. Don't get me started on how many things are wrong with its design. Just bend the carto to the side to fill and you're golden. If you need help, ask and ill take a pic showing what I mean.

Does the Lambo have a high enough amp rated switch in it to run the dual coils where they really seem to shine? I know my Provari V2 works great but the old Lava Tube only pushes them to about 4.3 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread