• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone try these "no-filler" cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myyrkezaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Clayton, NC
I've tried numerous carto tanks and have always had problems with them: flooding/leaking, too dry and really awful weird taste.

I've been playing with 2 of these ce2 cartos and they work better but still have problems: using an Artemas/UDCT tank and Lava Tube tank. They both flooded/leaked upon filling (multiple times) with the Lava tank being worse. When drawing lots of air is pulled through, doesn't seem to draw liquid in because of this and is dry. If I put the Artemas on a telescope it cuts of the air and it draws in liquid well, but it is a much heavier draw. Have also used fingers around the edge in various positions when using a collar with same results.

I'm going to try the tank airflow controller to see how well it works with these.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
You could also try a tank filler tool. There's the SmokTech one I did a review for a couple of months back:

And there's also one that's similar to the Slap Yo Mama (which coincidentally is what's shown in the poster frame of the video above) made by Captivape and sold by It's Just Vapor. He has no pics up, but here's what the blue one looks like (I have a review that will include this soon):

C4949753-85AB-4C9E-893C-4108C1DF6D5C-5626-000003C02E7AE002.jpg

D21C273B-FB50-4E22-ACA9-FD55EAAAA421-5626-000003C02EF5F2F3.jpg

Note that this filler tool will not work with the U-DCT due to the tight tolerances in the top cap and the fact that this hangs over the edge of the carto by a hair.

The added advantage of the latter filler tool is that it also guides the carto back up through the hole when pushing it back in place, and won't slice your O-rings.

Last edited:

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
In my experience the cartos & carto tanks dull the flavor of your vape compared to a stardust or a vivi.

Hopefully these no filler cartos can provide the flavor of a stardust with the convenience of a carto.

I don't understand how you can think a Vivi or stardust gives a fuller flavour than a carto. It's been my experience that the opposite is true... And on a very significant scale. To each their own, I suppose.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
You could also try a tank filler tool. There's the SmokTech one I did a review for a couple of months back:

And there's also one that's similar to the Slap Yo Mama (which coincidentally is what's shown in the poster frame of the video above) made by Captivape and sold by It's Just Vapor. He has no pics up, but here's what the blue one looks like (I have a review that will include this soon):

C4949753-85AB-4C9E-893C-4108C1DF6D5C-5626-000003C02E7AE002.jpg

D21C273B-FB50-4E22-ACA9-FD55EAAAA421-5626-000003C02EF5F2F3.jpg

Note that this filler tool will not work with the U-DCT due to the tight tolerances in the top cap and the fact that this hangs over the edge of the carto by a hair.

The added advantage of the latter filler tool is that it also guides the carto back up through the hole when pushing it back in place, and won't slice your O-rings.

That thing looks pretty cool.

Thing is, I doubt it's cheap, plus shipping.

The tapered metal drip tip from canvape I posted above does the same job of saving the orings and its really easy to not get juice in the carto. And it's cheap.

That being said, that thing is cool and I want one ;-)

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
I've tried numerous carto tanks and have always had problems with them: flooding/leaking, too dry and really awful weird taste.

I've been playing with 2 of these ce2 cartos and they work better but still have problems: using an Artemas/UDCT tank and Lava Tube tank. They both flooded/leaked upon filling (multiple times) with the Lava tank being worse. When drawing lots of air is pulled through, doesn't seem to draw liquid in because of this and is dry. If I put the Artemas on a telescope it cuts of the air and it draws in liquid well, but it is a much heavier draw. Have also used fingers around the edge in various positions when using a collar with same results.

I'm going to try the tank airflow controller to see how well it works with these.

I think the key to carto tanks is having a PV setup that allows for an immediate, convenient seal to provide vacuum to suck in the juice. The design of the Provari connector allows this perfectly. Perhaps with other devices, it's much harder to keep the carto wet.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
a-HAH.... a picture really *is* worth a thousand words.... now that I see it all in such great detail, everything you've been saying makes much better sense. Great tips, all.

In my best Columbo voice: "Just one more thing...." I see the holes in the carto are fairly high up.... when your juice gets low enough, even tilting won't let juice in, right?.... I take it you have to keep carto tanks fairly full then? Or am I totally misunderstanding something again?

That looks like a hole, but it's actually a drop of juice.

The hole is at the very bottom of the carto so that it is just above the bottom cap. Tipping is only necessary when the tank is almost empty.

You can see the holes here.

510%20DCT%20cartomiser-500x500.jpg

And if you have to punch our own hole, you punch it the same place.

/thread hogging

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
That thing looks pretty cool.

Thing is, I doubt it's cheap, plus shipping.

The tapered metal drip tip from canvape I posted above does the same job of saving the orings and its really easy to not get juice in the carto. And it's cheap.

That being said, that thing is cool and I want one ;-)

Well, it's $6, so not exactly cheap by Canvape's drip tip standards, but nevertheless easy to use and clean up after.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto

Strange, I've been using carto tanks for months and never had flooding/leaking or weird taste, unless I get a bad carto which happens from time to time. I've had too dry if it's VG juice and so I just add another hole and all's good.

Maybe depends on the tanks being used... I buy my tanks and cartos separately - pyrex tanks.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
Strange, I've been using carto tanks for months and never had flooding/leaking or weird taste, unless I get a bad carto which happens from time to time. I've had too dry if it's VG juice and so I just add another hole and all's good.

Maybe depends on the tanks being used... I buy my tanks and cartos separately - pyrex tanks.

Agreed. There was a but of a learning curve at first. But since then I've had no problems.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hmmm. That's not too bad.

When do you plan on having a full review done of these non-carto cartos?

I'm hoping to get it done this weekend, bundled in the U-DCT review. Got some juice reviews filmed and other stuff that needs editing and posting, so we'll see what I can get done by the end of the weekend. :)

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
I'm hoping to get it done this weekend, bundled in the U-DCT review. Got some juice reviews filmed and other stuff that needs editing and posting, so we'll see what I can get done by the end of the weekend. :)

The U-DCT has totally caught my eye, and no small part because I'm really interested in the fillerless cartos.... but I got a deal I simply couldn't refuse earlier:

Boge F16 for $5.95, and 5 replacement cartos for $5.99..... with FREE SHIPPING. (you read right)
So for under $12, I'm nicely set up to take my first cartomizing baby steps....
A sweet deal like that eliminated the "but, what if I hate it?" factor

It's a really good thing I've been conserving gasoline lately hahaha.... (still on the tank I filled Oct.1 - no word a lie - and I drive a THIRSTY Silverado)

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
The U-DCT has totally caught my eye, and no small part because I'm really interested in the fillerless cartos.... but I got a deal I simply couldn't refuse earlier:

Boge F16 for $5.95, and 5 replacement cartos for $5.99..... with FREE SHIPPING. (you read right)
So for under $12, I'm nicely set up to take my first cartomizing baby steps....
A sweet deal like that eliminated the "but, what if I hate it?" factor

It's a really good thing I've been conserving gasoline lately hahaha.... (still on the tank I filled Oct.1 - no word a lie - and I drive a THIRSTY Silverado)

Excellent deal!

What kind of cartos are they?

Let me know if you have any trouble getting it going. I'm always willing to pass on my carto tank methods.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Excellent deal!

What kind of cartos are they?

Let me know if you have any trouble getting it going. I'm always willing to pass on my carto tank methods.

They are the Boge cartos suggested for the F16.... surevapes[DOT]com ;)

And believe me sir, the moment I have trouble or questions, or even just want to crow about success (hopefully lol), I'll be posting here ;)

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Hah, I was going to guess surevapes. :)

The F16 cartomizers aren't great in my opinion, at least with VG juice - the holes seems a bit small. Surevapes is also a great place to buy regular cartomizers, but you'll need a punch or a dremel - if you want to go the slotting way.

I like the punch and filler tools at cloudsofvapor, though shipping was $6. I haven't heard great things about the cheap punch floating around on canvape, vaporgeek, surevapes, etc .. and the DCT filler tool funnel seems annoying in my opinion.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
They are the Boge cartos suggested for the F16.... surevapes[DOT]com ;)

And believe me sir, the moment I have trouble or questions, or even just want to crow about success (hopefully lol), I'll be posting here ;)

I think those cartos are really low resistance. And haven't heard good thing about them. I hope they dont discourage you. You have to at least try some smoktechs now that you have a tank.

Also, best punch you can get:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/poly-tube-to-pipe-saddle-valve-with-insert/924648

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Hah, I was going to guess surevapes. :)

The F16 cartomizers aren't great in my opinion, at least with VG juice - the holes seems a bit small. Surevapes is also a great place to buy regular cartomizers, but you'll need a punch or a dremel - if you want to go the slotting way.

I like the punch and filler tools at cloudsofvapor, though shipping was $6. I haven't heard great things about the cheap punch floating around on canvape, vaporgeek, surevapes, etc .. and the DCT filler tool funnel seems annoying in my opinion.

Ohmigosh! I was so excited about the price and free shipping, I failed to even think to check if these are prepunched! not too worried about it though, I have tons of sharp prickly things around here (tools, including a dremel and lots of bits, scrapbooking and sewing supplies), and I'm sure I'll have something that would work in a pinch..... and KillFace talked about filling without the tools..... so I'll be able to stumble along until I get the hang of it.

But does anyone have a favorite video or reference for where and how to punch them? My limited understanding would tell me to punch near bottom so as tank level drops, it can still draw.... yet I see the prepunched ones always have it what appears fairly far up....

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I think those cartos are really low resistance. And haven't heard good thing about them. I hope they dont discourage you. You have to at least try some smoktechs now that you have a tank.

Also, best punch you can get:

Watts | Poly Tube To Pipe Saddle Valve With Insert | Home Depot Canada

Fair enough KillFace, I just wanted to have something on hand to start with. If I'm unimpressed, I'll be sure to try others before I get ticked off with it. And thanks for the link.... you're just a wealth of handy information ;)

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
Fair enough KillFace, I just wanted to have something on hand to start with. If I'm unimpressed, I'll be sure to try others before I get ticked off with it. And thanks for the link.... you're just a wealth of handy information ;)

You're welcome. It's seems like carto tanks don't get mentioned to new vapers enough as everybody is looking for the next best thing and cartos are old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread