Anyone using non-Volt cartos on their Volt's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have a question! I have been loving my Volt for sure. I'm down to one actual cigarette about every other day. I have been buying blank Volt cartomizers and using my own juices. So far, I probably have about 15 or so different liquids that I have been sampling. Anyway, there are a couple of flavors that I've found that I really enjoy. I have been vaping RY4 from Kick Bass Vapors. It's pretty much my go to. The only thing is, it fouls up my cartos pretty quick. Colorwise, it's not super dark, more like cream soda colored. It's 70PG/30VG. After about 2 days, and I'm probably only vaping about 1 ml a day through them (if not a little less), the taste starts changing, and not in a good way. It gets bitter, it's just off.

I'm pretty nutty about checking my cartos, I like to take them off, and stare through them into the light, I can see the coil in the bottom, and for some of my juices, I can always clearly see the coil and the wick running through it. For example, I have a fruit juice that's crystal clear, and that carto just looks like new, even after vaping on it for a good week already. After 2 days with the RY4, I can barely see the coils anymore in the bottom, it's just dark. Pulled apart a used one and the filler wasn't burnt, so they're not burning.

Question is, will this RY4 do this to every type of carto I vape it through? Are there other cartos that might give me a bit more life than this. Has anyone used a different style carto on their Volts? Like a Boge? (I'm not talking LR, just a standard carto). A vertical coil carto? I want to keep vaping my RY4, but I don't want to burn through cartos every day.

Oh, and if anyone's curious, a juice I got from highbrow vapors, vanilla bourbon bean, also fouls them quick, that one was shot after about 1 ml. So, do I switch juices or switch cartos?

Imagine

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
OHIO USA
www.SmokelessImage.com
residue from the flavorings is what clogs up the cartos... the parts of the nicquid that do not vaporize.

Some juices are thicker and do not wick well which causes a dry burn on the atomizer.... that is why they do not work as well ....and some have many particles that do not fully vaporize and leave residue on the atomizer...some do both and some do neither to different degrees.
I have a question! I have been loving my Volt for sure. I'm down to one actual cigarette about every other day. I have been buying blank Volt cartomizers and using my own juices. So far, I probably have about 15 or so different liquids that I have been sampling. Anyway, there are a couple of flavors that I've found that I really enjoy. I have been vaping RY4 from Kick Bass Vapors. It's pretty much my go to. The only thing is, it fouls up my cartos pretty quick. Colorwise, it's not super dark, more like cream soda colored. It's 70PG/30VG. After about 2 days, and I'm probably only vaping about 1 ml a day through them (if not a little less), the taste starts changing, and not in a good way. It gets bitter, it's just off.

I'm pretty nutty about checking my cartos, I like to take them off, and stare through them into the light, I can see the coil in the bottom, and for some of my juices, I can always clearly see the coil and the wick running through it. For example, I have a fruit juice that's crystal clear, and that carto just looks like new, even after vaping on it for a good week already. After 2 days with the RY4, I can barely see the coils anymore in the bottom, it's just dark. Pulled apart a used one and the filler wasn't burnt, so they're not burning.

Question is, will this RY4 do this to every type of carto I vape it through? Are there other cartos that might give me a bit more life than this. Has anyone used a different style carto on their Volts? Like a Boge? (I'm not talking LR, just a standard carto). A vertical coil carto? I want to keep vaping my RY4, but I don't want to burn through cartos every day.

Oh, and if anyone's curious, a juice I got from highbrow vapors, vanilla bourbon bean, also fouls them quick, that one was shot after about 1 ml. So, do I switch juices or switch cartos?

ian74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thanks Imagine and Konstantine. I had a good idea of why it was was happening, I just wanted to know, what a possible solution was. How do I enjoy my favorite juices on my favorite equipment? It seems like there isn't a way to do it, or just buy more SI cartos. Which if has to be done, it has to be done.

Maybe this would have been better suited to the forums for Atomizer/Cartomizer discussion. I was curious if I should expect a similar result from ALL carto's with a particular liquid.

StarChacer

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2012
Rockville, MD
It should be quite similar cause it depends on the composition of your liquid a lot.
It's been one month and i still have no useless cartos... Pitty cause i needed a few broken ones for other projects.

Stick a paper clip through the metal end, that kills them quite effectively... :oops:

He's My Everything

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
Washington, DC
Stick a paper clip through the metal end, that kills them quite effectively... :oops:

Yup, yup... guilty. :oops: That is the one and only carto that has died on me - the one I yanked the coil out with the aforementioned paperclip on. Dangit. The rest are vaping along quite nicely. LOL

As for your question, from what I've read (I don't vape), it really seems more like a liquid issue, rather than a carto issue. I guess it comes down to one of those "Pay your money and take your choice" kinda things. If it's a juice that you really love and are willing to sacrifice cartos for, just consider the cartos disposable. :)

He's My Everything

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
Washington, DC
Oh, DRAG! I can't use those attys on the sealed auto batts? I just ordered a boatload of them for our upcoming Taste-a-palooza and everyone participating has SI sealed autos. I JUST made an SI order yesterday and had I realized this, I would have added a few manuals. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :facepalm:

Hey Michael! Don't trade your manual X2 - I guess EVERYONE will be using it up north!

StarChacer

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2012
Rockville, MD
Oh, DRAG! I can't use those attys on the sealed auto batts? I just ordered a boatload of them for our upcoming Taste-a-palooza and everyone participating has SI sealed autos. I JUST made an SI order yesterday and had I realized this, I would have added a few manuals. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :facepalm:

Hey Michael! Don't trade your manual X2 - I guess EVERYONE will be using it up north!

Are we sure mine will work?

I will order whatever is necessary.

He's My Everything

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
Washington, DC
Are we sure mine will work?

I will order whatever is necessary.

Yes, the manual X2 will work, as long as it works on the Volt mini-batts. It's all the same threading and all cross-compatible. One of the many joys of SI. Mix & Match! It would probably be easiest if we had a few manual mini-batts on hand for the Taste-a-palooza, but if all else fails, we'll just pass around your X2. Come to think of it, if we put one flavor in an atty and pass it around, that might be easiest all around. Don't order anything. We'll make due.

He's My Everything

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
Washington, DC
where is this tasteaplooza ??

Hee hee... I'm just calling it that. We're gathering all the folks that I've pulled into vaping the SI Volts (all four of them!) and passing around all the sample flavors we've had steeping, so everyone gets an idea of whether they'd like to buy more of whichever juice suits their fancy. We're gathering at a friends house (who should have gotten her gift-kit TODAY!) in DE. Sorry to get folks "juiced up" about it. :oops:

Amethyst_Star

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Southern Wisconsin
www.facebook.com
A vaping party! Sounds like fun, Barb! :)

Hee hee... I'm just calling it that. We're gathering all the folks that I've pulled into vaping the SI Volts (all four of them!) and passing around all the sample flavors we've had steeping, so everyone gets an idea of whether they'd like to buy more of whichever juice suits their fancy. We're gathering at a friends house (who should have gotten her gift-kit TODAY!) in DE. Sorry to get folks "juiced up" about it. :oops:

ian74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I like this idea of a vape party. Sorry to see it's not going to be in the DC/Rockville area, since I see that you, StarChacer are practically my neighbors. I would have liked to come along. :(

Let me know if you guys are going to do another one local.

McDougal

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2011
Louisville, KY
ian 74,

Like others have said, dark juices are going to leave more residue and they are correct. So, very dark juices are generally going to kill standard polyfill cartos; especially juices with a substantial VG level.

Case in point: I used Copper Creek House Blend, 60% VG, and it is a very dark, opaque juice. On the first fill, it performed well, but after subsquent fills, the vape quality dropped off quickly, making the carto useless.

Also, if your cartos are not horizontal coil, they apparently are more susceptible. SI's cartos are horizontal coil, and tend to wick and vape much better than standard vertical coil cartos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread