ANYONE with newly formed CATARACT please post

Status
Not open for further replies.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
I saw on another forum that "blurry vision" was one reported adverse reaction to vaping. my response was this:

Blurry Vision!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me!!!!

I already have a cataract surgery evaluation appointment scheduled for 12:20pm TOMORROW at the Lehigh Valley Center for Sight.

6 months ago, out of the blue, I was diagnosed with an aggressive posterior subcapsular cataract in my right eye and one appears to also be slowly developing in my left.(I've been vaping now for a bit over a year).

I'm now almost legally blind in my right eye and will require surgery for lens replacement and I'm only in my mid 30's.

My opthamologist is totally stunned as I have no familial history of this disorder, nor do I take any drugs(this type of cataract has been linked to long term corticosteroid-i.e. prednisone use)or have any predisposing factors for development of this type of cataract.

I never put 2 and 2 together until your post. I will be sure to mention this to Dr. Moran at my appointment tomorrow. If it's found that vaping has anything to do with this(and there are others who obviously have complained of the same type of symptoms) I'm not going to be a happy camper.

I'm not going to jump the gun, but this type of cataract(especially as aggresive as it has manifested) just doesn't happen out of the blue.

PLEASE, if anyone else has developed this specific type of cataract, or any type for that matter, since the start of vaping; please add to this thread.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
I've started getting blurry vision and having problems focusing after starting vaping too.. I can't even read the small print on the juice bottles anymore, stinks!! But I'm not so sure I want to say that vaping itself is the culprit.. The culprit, to me, is probably more of the fact that I, like many others, are constantly online looking and reading about vaping equipment and so forth!!

Yeah I use to be online a lot before and didn't have problems but, I wasn't online squinting to read posts/threads like this time around..before I just played a lot of online games that had darker backgrounds and they didn't glare into my eyes like many of the bright message boards and all do.. Sorry but I just don't see how vaping itself can cause eye problems like that..

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Sorry but I just don't see how vaping itself can cause eye problems like that..

You could say the same thing about corticosteroids I referenced. There may be some excipient in the formulation that was never intended to be ingested at the concentrations that vaping provides. Remember there is next to no formal safety testing done on ecig/eliquid as of yet. As I said in the OP I don't want to jump the gun, I just want to see if there are others who may be experiencing this or similar ocular problems.

I can't think of anything in my life(other than vaping) that has changed in the timeframe that this has occurred & it is significantly affecting my life. If this has anything to do with vaping, it should be brought to light for better or worse. Also, the "blurred vision" anectdotes that I'm seeing and finding out about seem to suggest this may be more than just coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread