Apollo Reliant 60W - TC with TCR adjustment, including Stainless Steel support

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
A new advanced TC mod has appeared out of nowhere, thanks to @cigatron for the heads up!

The Apollo Reliant 60W TC
Specifications:
  • Temperature Control Mode
  • Wattage Mode
  • Mechanical Mode
  • Temperature adjustment from 200°F up to 600°F (100°C - 300°C)
  • Wattage range from 5 watts up to 60 watts
  • Compatible with atomizers as low as 0.06 ohm
  • Operates on a single 18650 High Drain battery
  • 5 click lock
  • Adjustment lock (press and hold both + and - for 3 seconds)
  • TCR adjustment to allow you to use many different temperature control wires: Ni200, Ti, SS and more
  • Bright and easy to read real time display
  • Adjustable screen orientation
  • Stealth mode
  • Built in USB pass through charging
  • Built in safety features including: temperature protection, reverse battery protection, wide battery vent channels, over charge protection and low voltage protection.

Full manufacturer's blurb:

Introducing the all new Apollo Reliant 60W Temp Control Mod. The Reliant is Apollo's newest mod featuring temperature control, the most advanced technology in the vaping industry. Designed and developed in our state of the art facility in Northern California, we've packed a handful of new features into this device.

The Reliant features three different firing modes, Temperature Control, Wattage, and Mechanical.

In Temperature Control Mode the range is from 200°F up to 600°F (100°C to 300°C) with up to 60W max and is compatible with nickel wire, titanium wire and even stainless steel wire by setting the temperature coefficient of resistance in our advanced menu. Temperature Control allows the device to sense how fast the atomizer heats up and will prevent it from firing when your coil is dry, making sure you don't get any burnt or dry hits.

The Reliant also has Wattage Mode so it's still compatible with traditional kanthal coils or any wire that is not temperature control compatible. The Wattage from 5W up to 60W providing you with a great amount of vaping power and a great range of adjustability to work with any atomizer or clearomizer.

It also features Mechanical Mode that will provide direct power from your battery straight to the coil while still maintaining all the built in safety features this device has to offer.

The Reliant fires atomizers down to 0.06 ohm and has built in USB pass through charging. With it's bright and easy to ready display, the screen shows you all your vaping specs in real time so you know exactly what your Reliant is doing.

The Reliant's compact size and ergonomic shape give it a great hand feel and make it one of the most compact mods on the market!

RELIANT-MOD-2.jpg

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
I have contacted the UK site to ask for more details.

The mod appears to be available now - no mention of pre-order.

Very surprised this has appeared out of nowhere, nothing on YouTube, no samples sent out to anyone.

Looks good though! TCR adjustment with specific mention of SS, so it must be the full TCR range from 0.001 upwards. If it's accurate and provides a good vape, that'll be the third mod/chip after the DNA 200 and Dicodes mods to feature this. (Smok and SXK mods also feature TCR, but are less accurate and less reliable, and the Smok doesn't yet go down to SS.)

I wonder if it's their own chip or they have taken technology from others. They claim everything is developed in their Californian labs.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Yeah fair point.

Though it's currently $80 in the US and £60 in the UK - there's a "20% summer deal" on the US (code SUMMER20) and a "25% off everything over £50" in the UK (code SAVE25)

The have a tube mod on version four, the VTube 4.0, so I guess they've been around in general a while. Hadn't heard of them myself. The VTube has a number of reviews on YT which from a very quick glance seem largely favourable.

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

gorman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Milan, Italy
I was so very close to buying it on impulse... then I asked for size and TCR specifications on their Facebook page. And yeah, no firmware upgradability could be a minus (although... if TCR is already full specced there might not be that much of a need) and reviews... I'd like to see some independent reviews.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Yeah in terms of features, it's already feature-complete for most needs.

The issue is bugs - if it does things badly, we'd want FW upgrading.

Anyway it's not there, at least in this revision, so we'll need to see how it works in practice and what the accuracy is like. There's a lot that can go wrong in the little details - and the big ones.

That's great you won one, @f1vefour ! Do you have it yet, or if not any ETA on delivery?

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Regarding bugs that can happen:

The DNA 40 was an (in)famous example - it had a huge bug in °C mode, where I believe turning off TC in °C mode resulted in it instead setting the temp to maximum for the next vape, potentially toasting your coil/wick.

Even the super expensive Dicodes 2380 has a problem with °F mode in early revisions, requiring a 30°F offset to desired temperature because someone forgot to include the +/- 32° offset in the C->F conversion! Oh, and in some revisions, you can't even go up in the temp menu in °F mode :D Proving that they didn't even bother switching to °F mode before putting them into production :) (Or I suppose, that they did but thought 'eh, who uses F?' :) )

It seems that US developers just don't test °C and EU developers just won't test °F :)

Last edited:

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
The TCR goes from 10 - 100 in single increments (10,11,12..etc). I don't have any TC capable wire yet so I can't comment on this aspect further. 69 is the recommended setting in the manual for nickel.

The device is about the same height as the Cool Fire 4 and only a few millimeters wider. Here is a screenshot next to the CF4:

lc151kB.jpg

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Just a crazy thought.. it couldn't actually be the SXK chip? :) It certainly uses the same scale, including use of numbers of 10 to 100. And SXK have recently added a dedicated Titanium mode.

But SXK doesn't have a lock resistance.

For now we'll have to assume they're telling the truth and its in-house developed.

Would one of you mind showing a photo or two of the screen in operation?

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Awesome, thanks! Nah I can't believe it's the SXK, it's too different - having a mech mode, showing the name of the mode in the bottom left. But it is heavily DNA 40 copied.

Though that mode name leads me to believe it must be possible to properly switch mode, rather the Evolv's horrible "turn temperature to OFF" system. Is there a shortcut combo for that, and/or a proper menu system (if so, let me guess: three or five presses on fire!)

It does amaze me that someone goes to all the trouble of making a new chip from scratch and feels like it has to look identical to everything else out there. Vape manufacturers are so conservative.

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
You can switch modes properly, you can leave the wattage up in temp mode for adjustment or the temp if you wish. It will fire in standard wattage mode if you're in temp control with a kanthal coil (very cool), it does automated battery sag test and adjust the wattage to a safe level (cool again), it shows what wattage you're getting in mech mode (lovely).

To get in the menu you simply click down and fire button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread