Apparently some guys lungs collapsed due to vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozm8ey

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
melboune,australia
So I saw on the news that this guys lungs collapsed due to vaping and he had to have an emergency operation. He was apparently vaping on something called a juul. Never even heard of a juul until now. Is there actually any real evidence that his lungs collapsed due to the vaping though? Apparently they found little black dots on his lungs.

Here is the news article: Teen’s lung collapses after vaping

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Having read the article it seems no one actually knows why or what caused his lung to collapse. The teen assumed it was a JUUL based on the doctor’s assumption that he “had been smoking something”. That’s it. That’s all. Two assumptions. That said, JUULs are not regular e-cigarettes. Instead of the well studied unprotonated nicotine they use a different chemical invented by the company on which no testing that I know of has been done. JUUL markets itself as using the same ingredients as regular e-cigarettes but it uses different ones.

A competent reporter would have interviewed the doctor to find out what he actually thought but that very conspicuously has not been done. All we have is some teenager with no medical knowledge making claims.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I hardly think that vaping would cause lung collapse and black dots on the lungs that haven't been biopsied and put through to a pathology lab for testeing and identification.

Sounds as though the juvenile has been doing something else which is ill advised and dangerous, but if they get enough traction in the media it will work in their favour when they file a case against Juul.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Having read the article it seems no one actually knows why or what caused his lung to collapse. The teen assumed it was a JUUL based on the doctor’s assumption that he “had been smoking something”. That’s it. That’s all. Two assumptions. That said, JUULs are not regular e-cigarettes. Instead of the well studied unprotonated nicotine they use a different chemical invented by the company on which no testing that I know of has been done. JUUL markets itself as using the same ingredients as regular e-cigarettes but it uses different ones.

A competent reporter would have interviewed the doctor to find out what he actually thought but that very conspicuously has not been done. All we have is some teenager with no medical knowledge making claims.

I agree, but note that though there are indeed many incompetents most reporters are directed by an Editor of some kind equally likely to be an idiot who dictates how to produce the story. "Just write something up in 10 mins in-between your funeral/sport/recipe stuff" or "do the Full Monty and work it up big" come to mind.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Considering how much eliquid some folks here are consuming lungs should be collapsing like crazy, especially thems doing huge deep dtl vapes.

Either these people are lying about what they are vaping, or there is indeed something amiss with Juul products, or the whole thing is baloney.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
"Dem kidsz is gonna be permanently scarred for life if those vape things git holt of em! Send out the signal! It's hurting our revenue from the tobacco settlement! Call the press! Fluff a BS story and make those eciggies sound evil and harmful. It ain't even gotta be true. Just print the ....!" -Goobermintard liboron

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know what that kid was doing but if that was him in the pic, HE DESERVED IT.

My dad actually had a medical condition where his lungs collapsed randomly. It happened a fair amount when I was small. The docs finally decided (since it happened on both sides) he was at risk for a dual collapse, so they did some surgery where like, they attached the lungs more firmly to.... someplace, IDK.

Then he started bleeding uncontrollably and they had to shove a lot of blood through him and my mom and HIS mom had to rush to the hospital. I woke up to 2 a.m. crying and went in to see what was what (I was like 2.5 this is one of my earliest memories,....) Anyway my mom was like, "Your dad might be dying and his mom just said it was my fault, she said I worked him to hard."

Like the good social worker I was gonna be, instead of like freaking out about my dad I just sort of climbed in bed with my mom and said "You know... I think sometimes when people are upset, they say stuff they don't mean."

LOL, had I been older, I might have just climbed in bed with my mom and said, "That woman is a total C word, do not listen to her."

She really was AWFUL. I mean.... THE WORST. WHO says that? Lots of moms I guess. That is what my grandmother in law on the male side said to his mom when HE died.

But my point is, he was a smoker, and he also caught Hep C from the untreated BLOOD.

None of this made the news because people just weren't SUCH JERKS THEN. GOD.

Anna

ozm8ey

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
melboune,australia
My dad actually had a medical condition where his lungs collapsed randomly. It happened a fair amount when I was small. The docs finally decided (since it happened on both sides) he was at risk for a dual collapse, so they did some surgery where like, they attached the lungs more firmly to.... someplace, IDK.

Actually that reminded me of a guy I knew years ago. He didn't smoke at all and only drank on weekends but all of a sudden his lungs collapsed. It was probably due to him being too tall he was like 6 foot 7 and also had a little asthma. Pretty sure they said it was just bad luck sorta like how some people get cancer for no apparent reason. Doesn't explain this dudes black spots though.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The kid had a sponteneous pneumothorax, and is a relatively common occurance. A spontaneous pneumothorax is the sudden onset of a collapsed lung without any apparent cause, such as a traumatic injury to the chest or a known lung disease. A collapsed lung is caused by the collection of air in the space around the lungs which can make breathing difficult and uncomfortable.

The subject simply had a chest tube inserted to reinflate the lung. Although it is what is called an invasive procedure, it is not considered "major surgery". In fact it is commonly done at the bedside without anesthesia.

Spontaneous Pneumothorax | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

As far as the "spots on the lung", I've seen plenty of normal lungs in surgery that had "spots" on them. It's not necessarily a sign of pathology. I spent over 30 years working as a surgical physician's assistant (PA) in the operating room. Most surgeons would call spots like that a "normal variance" (like some people have freckles and some do not).

3b0d2349acd748b3abf9076e46b0da8e

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    "Dem kidsz is gonna be permanently scarred for life if those vape things git holt of em! Send out the signal! It's hurting our revenue from the tobacco settlement! Call the press! Fluff a BS story and make those eciggies sound evil and harmful. It ain't even gotta be true. Just print the ....!" -Goobermintard liboron
    thespin.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread