Apple Flavors Gumming Up Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Hey guys i just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this trend i am seeing. It seems that whenever i vape an apple flavor (tried a few from local shops and some of my homemade from 2 different flavor vendors) my coils gunk up extremely fast. I just built a new coil in my kayfun and dripper this morning and by 10pm the coils had 1/16th of an inch of black gunk buildup. This never happens this fast. I can usually go a week or so on one coil before i have to dry-burn/rebuild it.

The first time i noticed it i just assumed i got some bad liquid from an out-of-town shop. Now i see it happen with every single apple flavored juice i try. Sucks because i love the flavor. I know it isnt fake sweeteners or anything. The only common denominator i can see is the apple.

Anyone else come across this?

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Ive only had one and it was my first juice actually.. It was Rippin Vapors Green Slime (aka Green Apple) and I vaped that stuff pretty constantly for my first week and didnt have any trouble with it gunking up the coils and wicks.. It was actually really light color wise and not too thick of a juice.. I wouldve gone back for more but the flavor just wasnt 'all that' hehe.

Ive been vaping some Digital Ciggz Caramel Apple the last week now and THAT seriously kills wicks after like 2 days.. I took apart one of my Evod coils last week to re-wick it and the flavor wick was completely covered in this brown sludge.. Good stuff but it requires like daily maintenance even if you dont switch flavors haha..

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
Halo's Midnight Apple gunks up my coils pretty quick. Thats the only vendor apple I vape. Of my diy apples, TFA Apple Candy, Apple and Capellas Green Apple ( and their Raspberry and Sweet Strawberry ) all gunk up coils eventually but no more than anything else. The concentration of it in the mix may also enhance the effect if its too high. I keep the %'s low and add a bit of Sour to bump up the flavor, and avoid sweeteners altogether. I think 'over flavoring' has more to do with it than anything else.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Halo's Midnight Apple gunks up my coils pretty quick. Thats the only vendor apple I vape. Of my diy apples, TFA Apple Candy, Apple and Capellas Green Apple ( and their Raspberry and Sweet Strawberry ) all gunk up coils eventually but no more than anything else. The concentration of it in the mix may also enhance the effect if its too high. I keep the %'s low and add a bit of Sour to bump up the flavor, and avoid sweeteners altogether. I think 'over flavoring' has more to do with it than anything else.

I will try to lower the % and see if it helps. I think i used 10% when i made the last batch. Capella's green apple is what ive used recently so i know it isnt fake sweetener that is gunking up the coils so fast. Ill try to use it as a background flavor at >10% to see if it will fix my problem. I want to make this juice work because it is soooooo tasty. green apple, honeydew, and pomegranate mix so well together.

Glad to see i wasnt the only one who experienced this. If i cant get it to work i will just have to add apple alongside banana and orange on the list of flavors i avoid.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com

Ahh that may be why I had an ok experience with it concerning my coils.. The green apple in the Rippin Vapors I had was pretty non existant heh.. More like a hint that once in awhile would pop out and I was reminded 'oh yeah I bought green apple' haha.

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
This DIY mix gives me some good coil time with the CAP Green Apple ...

Apple Champagne (65/35 18mg)

Cap Green Apple - 6%
Cap Sweet Strawberry - 3%
TFA Champagne - 3%
WL Sour - 1%

It only needs a day or two to steep, reasonable TH, and has a pleasant exhale and aftertaste. I subjectively think so anyway.
I don't like the overly flavored (imo) vendor juices. Thats what got me into DIY. This is my most flavored of the mixes that I make.
Most are under or around 10% total. (Just that little bit of Sour makes this mix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread