Applying for job at a Vape store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am currently looking to get a job at a vape shop in a town close by and am looking to have a lot of info when I return for my interview. I am very interested in this and am looking for some links for creation/production walk-throughs. Also looking for a cheat sheet for Which battery sizes to use with what other equipment. I want to have the advantage over other applicants and I study very well. I'm an ultra noob, so forgive my lack of inside terminology. Thanks!

JohnnyBGoode

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Gelder,NL
Oh dear... You got a lot of learning and reading to do.
Hope you got time on your hands.
In itself it is not all that complicated once you get the important bits

Start by reading up on basic principles like how an ecig works. What the contents of the liquids are those kind of things.
Next would be the terminologies regarding devices , atties , liquids etc.

It would help if you vape urself lol

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Read, read, read.

You should know the difference between a mech mod, an APV, and a cigalike. The difference between a manual and an automatic.
Fixed vs. VV vs. VW and what these mean.
You should know what the following heads are, and what the differences are between them:
Dripper, Evod, Kanger, Genesis-style, Kayfun/Russian/Rocket, Iclear/CE4 (And others.....)
cartridge+Atty vs cartomizer vs clearomizer, Bottom-coil vs. top-coil. Dual-coil vs single-coil. Resistance ranges of coils.
Silica vs. Cotton vs. SS Mesh
What 18350, 18500, and 18650 mean, and which types/brands should be used.
The difference between ego and 510
What an Ego Twist and Vision Spinner are, and how they are different from a plain ego.
The difference between a rebuildable vs replaceable (vs neither)
What a drip-tip is.
PG and VG ratios, nicotine levels, categories of flavors

If you've read enough that you can answer these questions, you should be pretty much set. I also second the recommendation of going on FastTech and looking at all the pretty pictures!

Huh?!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Houston
So you want to pretend to know a lot about the vape hobby in order to have an edge over someone who may know ten times what you know to get a job? A job, in which people who quite possibly know as little as you, are coming to you for knowledge. Sad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. I think this would also actually turn people off to the shop who actually know a little about vaporizers. I refuse to go to some local vape shops because some of the people don't really know anything and just push the product what the owner tells them to.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
So you want to pretend to know a lot about the vape hobby in order to have an edge over someone who may know ten times what you know to get a job? A job, in which people who quite possibly know as little as you, are coming to you for knowledge. Sad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Perhaps you were born with all the knowledge you possess today - i'm prepared to believe that given that little display of intolerance to someone trying to learn more to benefit their career.

Isn't it down to the person doing the hiring to decide who is the best candidate for the job? And how would you do it?

If it was my vape store, i'd throw a couple of mods and atties on the table and say "make them work", which is far more valuable than 'oh this is a buck/boost that can run at 50W with a yadda yadda...'

T

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I find the best way to learn is hands on. Of course you need to know how it works and what keeps you safe before doing dumb stuff. I would say do some research on the different mods... What is popular and why (is it just pretty, or is its fan base loyal due to Vape quality (Rio, provari, mvp2). Reading the forums is defiantly a good way to learn.
The most reliable Vape shop vendors are honest about what they don't know and aren't interested in just lying to you to sound smart. Confidence is good, as long as it's not false confidence.
In an interview it's OK to say, "I'm not sure, but I'm willing to learn" or if you get the job.. "you know, I'm not sure... Let me look it up really quickly.."

Some times you get jerks like me coming in and playing dumb asking questions I know the answer to to see what kind of response I get...
Good luck! Hope this helps.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Hello all, I am currently looking to get a job at a Vape shop in a town close by and am looking to have a lot of info when I return for my interview. I am very interested in this and am looking for some links for creation/production walk-throughs. Also looking for a cheat sheet for Which battery sizes to use with what other equipment. I want to have the advantage over other applicants and I study very well. I'm an ultra noob, so forgive my lack of inside terminology. Thanks!

If you want an advantage over other applicants, be prompt, be completely honest, be clean and dress in a manner that is work ready, demonstrate an ability to listen well, if you have successful retail sales experience mention specific cases where you helped the business make sales, if you have loss prevention experience mention how your participation reduced losses by whatever percent if you know these figures, experience doing inventory, stocking, working a register experience etc. are generally all helpful in the retail market; you are selling yourself and your experience in an interview more than anything else.

If there are other vape shops in the area, visit them and ask about the products they carry (most shops have similar product lines), pay particular attention to the product names; you'll want to do your research online to get a true understanding of each product.

You are likely looking to be a sales person, your duties may include in addition to the skills mentioned above that you may already have; up-selling vape gear, running a juice taste bar, helping customers resolve vape gear issues, shop clean up, etc.

There is no way you can develop vaping experience in a few days that rivals someone who has plenty already, but you can be a quality employee that promotes the shops policies and procedures by simply being a good listener, an honest person, and by being friendly.

Do not go to the shop with vape gear or juice that was purchased anywhere else, when asked what you are vaping know your equipment and juice. Treat any moment as if you are selling the shops wares or representing the shops best interest, this includes the time you aren't at work.

Go into the interview with the mindset that they will hire you, and treat each and every moment as a professional.

If you feel you are or aren't going to be selected for the job, for example they asked you many questions that you could not answer, ask if on the job training or company policy will cover the particulars you are not strong in; in the case that you feel confident that you will be selected express your interest in getting to work and thank them for their time.

Maurice

Last edited:

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Best of luck to you, maybe the shop owner wants a friendly person that can be taught, not some know it all douche like the ones I normally run into locally.

Some people act like you have to be some kind of expert to work at a vape shop. Do you have to be a fashion expert to work at a retail clothing store in the mall? An accomplished culinary genius to work at McDonalds?

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Best of luck to you, maybe the shop owner wants a friendly person that can be taught, not some know it all douche like the ones I normally run into locally.

Some people act like you have to be some kind of expert to work at a vape shop. Do you have to be a fashion expert to work at a retail clothing store in the mall? An accomplished culinary genius to work at McDonalds?

Good point, but at the same time you do need to know more working at a vape shop. Imagine going to buy a computer without the sales person knowing the basics. You could end up wasting a lot of money.

A good attitude with a genuine willingness to admit what you don't know and to learn goes a long way!

Good luck with the interview! Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread