AR Grade PG and Glycerin Suitable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin_Case83

Oct 29, 2013
Cape Town
Hi there

i have managed to get my hands on some AR grade Glycerin and Propylene Glycol from a chemical and lab equipment Supplier...

does anyone know if this is suitable for vaping ?

the Bottles labeling states the following :

Glycerin AR (2.5 liter)
Assay - Min 99.5%
Chloride - 0.0005%
Heavy Metals - 0.0002%
Sulphite - 0.001%

Propylene Glycol AR (2.5 liter)
Boiling Range/95% between 185' & 189'
chloride - 0.02%
Sulphate - 0.06%
Acidity - 0.3ml N%

i saw online that VG (USP) can have up to 5ppm of Heavy Metals, while the AR only shows 2ppm of Heavy Metals, so seems better ?

I found this Chemical Grade level chart online...
AR stands for Analytical Reagent, which would be the Reagent option in this chart

Chemical Grades

Below is a list of chemical grades in order of purity, from highest to lowest.

ACS

Highest quality; often equals or exceeds the latest purity standards set by the American Chemical Society (ACS). This is the only universally accepted standard. Chemicals are of the highest purity attainable.

Reagent

Purity is generally equal to ACS grade. This grade is suitable for analytical work and is more than adequate for general lab use.

USP

A grade of sufficient purity to pass certain tests prescribed by the US Pharmacopoeia (USP); acceptable for drug use. USP grade may be used for most laboratory purposes.

NF

A grade of sufficient purity to meet the standards of the National Formulary (NF).

Lab

An upper-level intermediate quality. Exact impurities may not be known; however, lab grade is usually pure enough for most educational laboratories.

Pure

Purified, pure, or practical grade; a lower-level intermediate quality.
Although this grade does contain impurities, it is usually pure enough for use in educational laboratories.

Technical

A good-quality grade used industrially. Use caution when substituting for reagent-grade or lab-grade chemicals.

in conclusion... are these chemicals suitable for vaping ?

any info would be much appreciated
:)

Attached are pictures i took from the labels

Glycerine AR.jpg Glycerine Specs.jpg Propylene Glycol AR.jpg Propylene Glycol Specs.jpg

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
'AR' = analytical reagent.
In other words, it is a chemical of high enough purity that it is suitable for analytical laboratory procedures.

Reagent
Substances used in a chemical reaction to detect, measure, examine or produce other substances.

I thought USP grade is used to make e liquids / ingestables.
Would it be safe to vape, I'm not a pharmacist or a chemist so I don't know.

Info on grading ---> http://www.unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=63

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Not a chemist but...PGA, Everclear is 95% pure with some water, PGA that is 99% pure / Reagent is "washed" with Benzine to remove the water, but leaves behind some Benzine which doesn't throw of it's use in the lab.
Trivia Nugget, I remember from my college days, making jungle juice for parties...:laugh:

I would be apprehensive of how the purity is obtained. (where's a good chemist when we need them...:))

My $0,02
Vg/Pg is so cheap i would just order some that you know are safe.
I mean:"Just in case":laugh:

the shipping for PV/VG is killer...
more than the price of the actual products,
but i have found a local suppler of USP grade, so will be getting that soon..

now just to get some nicotine...

Most places wont ship to South Africa due to issues with customs,
and those that will cant guarantee its arrival, so thats a bit of a mission...

i could get 1 liter x 100mg nicotine in a PG/VG mix online for about $176 inc, but 50% chance i dont get it..

or i have found a local chemical supplier willing to ship in freebase 98%-100% nicotine - 100ml, but at $380,
which is just madness, as it makes the same 100mg /1l mix as the online version. but will only have to pay once it actually arrives...

sigh... the saga continues...

Justin_Case83

Oct 29, 2013
Cape Town
In your case, you are in South Africa, I believe you would have BP (British Pharmacopoeia) not USP (United States Pharmacopoeia).

Yeah, its BP around here..

ive found a source for Glycerin (BP) - $4.5 per KG (1kg batches)

but unfortunately the same place only stocks PG (USP/BP) - $110 per 25kg batch.

and they wont do any smaller...

checking with the place that can get me the nicotine if they cant sort me with some USP/BP grade instead of the AR..

fingers crossed

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
any idea how i would get hold of Kurt ?

i understand that he wont be available to any noob that's out there, as it would never stop,
but i didnt find a way to send him a message on his profile... i pretty much just need a yes or no answer from him...

View attachment 268021

Prolly best to start a thread in the subforum where he's most active and wait for an answer. Same subject line would prolly help.
DIY E-Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread