Are heavy coil builds needed anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artuko

Feb 26, 2020
My question is on less dense coil builds. I was vaping on a 6 x.4x.1 staple framed 28ga. clapton 38ga ss316l coil. It came with an rta so I used them. Now sure I could go up to 200 watts and it could handle it but why? I vaped it for awhile settled around 80-90 to get the vape and flavor. Ramp up was slow and cool down was slow. It would cook the e juice. Now I replaced them with a pair of 3x28ga. Fused clapton 40ga. All Ni80. Orginals were around .13 impedance and now .17 but the ramp up and the cool down is quick and at only 50-60 watts now. So why use heavier builds if you can get a better vape and less wattage with less dense builds same impedance.?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Resistance is the term used when dealing with a DC circuit such as a vaping coil. Impedance is used for an AC circuit such as a loudspeaker.

In the end it is to each their own. Some may enjoy what a 20lb coil gives. Some even think your new 3x28awg/40awg coil is too high in mass. Many enjoy mesh coils which are extremely low in mass. We have choices which allows us to choose what suits us the most.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
All I use any more in everything are Killer coils. Fast ramp up and cool down. I use single battery mech mods and squonkers mostly. I've tried and built many Many MANY different coils and that's what works best for me. I like big flavor with nice dense clouds and that's what I get. I use Serial Killer coils on all my series mods. Killer coils and Serial Killer coils are unique to the market. Only one person I know of makes them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Javichu

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
For one, I think you are somewhat confusing wire thicknesses and metal types with the actual size and total surface area of the coil itself. Further, beefy framed staple coils using SS316L are not exactly in line with what I call high wattage flavor chasing. To me, personally, that description sounds a lot more in line with cloud chasing instead. But, contrary to popular belief, this doesn't in any way imply that those people (myself included) who partake in high wattage flavor chasing are mass-delusional.

Below is a typical example of what I use on a dual 18650 batteries in series mech mod. These are 29/36 Ni80 aliens at 7 wraps 3mm ID, .25 ohms dual coil build in the black ultem Purge Mods Carnage 1.5 RDA.

29g aliens.jpg
side piece slim.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Don29palms

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
For one, I think you are somewhat confusing wire thicknesses and metal types with the actual size and total surface area of the coil itself. Further, beefy framed staple coils using SS316L are not exactly in line with what I call high wattage flavor chasing. To me, personally, that description sounds a lot more in line with cloud chasing instead. But, contrary to popular belief, this doesn't in any way imply that those people (myself included) who partake in high wattage flavor chasing are mass-delusional.

Below is a typical example of what I use on a dual 18650 batteries in series mech mod. These are 29/36 Ni80 aliens at 7 wraps 3mm ID, .25 ohms dual coil build in the black ultem Purge Mods Carnage 1.5 RDA.

View attachment 872409 View attachment 872411
Anyone reading thing don't follow this example. It is an accident waiting to happen.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Anyone reading thing don't follow this example. It is an accident waiting to happen.
The DC internal resistance of the Samsung 20S is 13.5 mOhms according to Mooch's test results so that's a total of .027 ohms for two of these cells in a series configuration, which brings the combined resistance to .277 ohms for this .25 ohms build, still not counting the resistance of the mech mod itself so, clearly, the combined resistance is actually greater than .28 ohms (and in fact very likely it will be greater than .29 ohms, going by Mooch's measurements of the Purge Mods Slam Piece that uses less battery contacts because it is a single battery mech so it would be logical to assume it has a lower resistance than the Side Piece Slim that I'm using), and, 8.4 volts divided by .28 ohms equals 30 amps. I know... nobody likes maths, when maths prove you're wrong.

• Disagree

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
The DC internal resistance of the Samsung 20S is 13.5 mOhms according to Mooch's test results so that's a total of .027 ohms for two of these cells in a series configuration, which brings the combined resistance to .277 ohms for this .25 ohms build, still not counting the resistance of the mech mod itself so, clearly, the combined resistance is actually greater than .28 ohms (and in fact very likely it will be greater than .29 ohms, going by Mooch's measurements of the Purge Mods Slam Piece that uses less battery contacts because it is a single battery mech so it would be logical to assume it has a lower resistance than the Side Piece Slim that I'm using), and, 8.4 volts divided by .28 ohms equals 30 amps. I know... nobody likes maths, when maths prove you're wrong.
I will stand by my original post. You're an accident waiting to happen (Edited - not appropriate). You consistently give bad and dangerous advice. If you want to kill yourself be my guest but other people should not follow your asinine suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I will stand by my original post. You're an accident waiting to happen (Edited - not appropriate). You consistently give bad and dangerous advice. If you want to kill yourself be my guest but other people should not follow your asinine suggestions.

That comment was uncalled for Don and I edited your post.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread