Are many coil builds just novelty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Fact any ecig or PV or mod or whatever you chose to call it that turn Nicotine carring fluid into steam will serve to deliver a replacement dose of nicotine from that of smoking. So in theory ANY Cig a Like will cover the nic habit..... But who is going to replace cigs with something they can't ENJOY????

This is why the Industry didn't stop with Blu Cigs....... Some people NEED more, even if that more is really just BLING and Fad.

Last edited:
It's mostly subjective. Everyone who's experienced in building has their favorite build that works best for them. What works for one person, doesn't work for another. What may be considered "hype" by some, is considered a "staple" by someone else. It's completely subjective....and like the other reply said, it's a hobby to most. They enjoy building and vaping in general.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I don't have experience building a large array of coil types and sizes. I've used different gauge Kanthal and different diameter coils in my journey and settled upon a handful of different builds for different devices that I regularly use (based on the size of the deck and whether I'm using a single or dual coil atomizer for example). I think it's great that people like to play around and come up with different builds and give them funny names, but I don't have a lot of time for that and I just want to vape.

Every1jockzjay

Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn
The search for something "better" always keeps me wrapping new coils but i always seem to go back to 7-10wrap 26gauge micro coils....for me twisted builds and clapton coils always seem to shoot hot juice in my mouth.... Personally feel micro coils are the smoothest but am always willing to try a new coil...
Of coarse everything is highly subjective but for me they always prove to be a waste of time, but hey its fun to try and who knows what will be my next "go-to" coil loll maybe a 5strand 32gauge wrapped in 26 and gently flattend and wicked with some crazy new fiber lollllllllll willing to try it!

Totally agree with the "better" vape quest posted above. It's this that keeps me up till late hours at night experimenting and searching for the "better" build. But that's what's great about vaping.....it fits so many different lifestyles. Maybe someone doesn't have the time to build for hours and hours, they can literally vape for a month with minimal hours invested......or someone more like myself who devotes countless hours tinkering and trying. It fits both lifestyles and everything in between. I'm so happy that many people are finding the love for vaping, for whatever their reasons. Its so awesome that so many different people with diverse lifestyles can share the love for the same thing.

From a performance standpoint you're better off with a single strand of wire in varying diameters (for desired heat up time, resistance and retention etc.).

I have to disagree with this to some point. It's all subjective. My staple and "go to" build is a 3 wire twisted coil(s). Or even a Clapton. For me, they perform much better than single wire coils. Both in flavor and in vape density. But others hate the twisted wire coils. I feel "performance" is subjective based on preferences of the vaper. And heat time and resistance can be controlled on a parallel build just as easily as on a single wire build.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
I have to disagree with this to some point. It's all subjective. My staple and "go to" build is a 3 wire twisted coil(s). Or even a Clapton. For me, they perform much better than single wire coils. Both in flavor and in vape density. But others hate the twisted wire coils. I feel "performance" is subjective based on preferences of the vaper. And heat time and resistance can be controlled on a parallel build just as easily as on a single wire build.

I've never found multi wire builds to be better than a single wire coils in my years of use and hundreds of builds... i'm curious... (honestly not being an ... here maybe i'll have to flatten my clapton ends or some other trick) what instances/builds are you finding better than the equivalent (I.D. resistance, relative surface area) single wire variants?

Does your 28 gauge twisted 6 wrap, 0.5 ohm, 2.5mm I.D. coil perform better than your 26 gauge single wire, 6 wrap, 0.5 ohm, 2.5mm I.D. coil? (again not being a ...., id like to know) If so, what characteristics do you find the one has that the other doesnt.

I always felt that i could take two builds like mentioned above and do a blind taste test with experienced vapors and they wouldnt be able to tell the difference if wicked properly and resistances were equal as well as # of wraps/surface area. I realize that adding more wires does decrease resistance while increasing ramp time, retention and surface area... i just find that particular combination beneficial in any way when compared to increasing the thickness of a single wire coil.

I might be the only one though lol. People might dig super slow heat-up time, huge heat spikes and very slow cool-down times in their coils.

I've never found multi wire builds to be better than a single wire coils in my years of use and hundreds of builds... i'm curious... (honestly not being an ... here maybe i'll have to flatten my clapton ends or some other trick) what instances/builds are you finding better than the equivalent (I.D. resistance, relative surface area) single wire variants?

Does your 28 gauge twisted 6 wrap, 0.5 ohm, 2.5mm I.D. coil perform better than your 26 gauge single wire, 6 wrap, 0.5 ohm, 2.5mm I.D. coil? (again not being a ...., id like to know) If so, what characteristics do you find the one has that the other doesnt.

I always felt that i could take two builds like mentioned above and do a blind taste test with experienced vapors and they wouldnt be able to tell the difference if wicked properly and resistances were equal as well as # of wraps/surface area. I realize that adding more wires does decrease resistance while increasing ramp time, retention and surface area... i just find that particular combination beneficial in any way when compared to increasing the thickness of a single wire coil.

I might be the only one though lol. People might dig super slow heat-up time, huge heat spikes and very slow cool-down times in their coils.

But see...that's the point I was trying to make....what's "better" is subjective. What I think is better, someone else will think it sucks. What's "better" is a matter of opinion. Just as you've found your "go to" coils to be single wire.....I tend to stay away from them because I feel they underperform. My buddy is the same way- he hates twisted coils. I use them exclusively.

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
Messing around with different types of coils and builds is one of favorite parts of vaping and I've built a borderline obsession when it comes to finding the "perfect" coil and theorizing about the advantages and disadvantages of one build compared to another. But there have been plenty of times where I've asked myself the same type of question posed in this thread. Sometimes I do feel like I put myself into some sort of self induced placebo effect, meaning that I like the idea of a certain type of build so much that I convince myself that it is in some way better or superior, when in reality is really isn't that much better, I just want it to be.
Whatever the actual truth may be, I'm still gonna mess around with different builds simply for the fun of it and I'm content with that.

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com

Yes, yes that twisted 28 g build does out perform the 26 g build. The surface area of the 28 g blows the 26 g away. Being twisted 28 g, it actually ramps up and cools down quicker than the 26 g...

IDK. It's really subjective when you are dealing with gauges that close together...I have to give the nod to the twisted based on surface area...

21score

Nov 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have found that in five months of building coils, that I keep coming back to the same coils every time. I will, however, freely admit that I keep trying new coils on an almost daily basis. Like many of us on this forum, I have multiple mods and rdas to choose from, and many gauges and types of kanthal to coil with, and will continue to try to find that one perfect vape for me. But, after many attempts with micro, macro, nano, parallel, twisted and claptoned coils I keep coming back to my go to vape (so far) dual 24g, 6 wrap, 2mm id. clocks in at a .24 ohms. Vapor and flavor just work for me, until i find something better that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread