The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Are my AW IMR Batteries Fake?

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by Namelesss, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Namelesss

Namelesss Full Member

I came across a thread on ECF where they were comparing genuine AW IMRs with fake ones. At the time of purchase I had no idea that fakes were so prevalent... I bought these from an online store based locally. I ordered from there to get them a bit quicker (since they aren't allowed to be sent via airmail due to their dangerous goods classification). I have a bad feeling they are fakes...

Batteries.jpg

Your help, as always, is appreciated. Also, what should I do RE the vendor if they are fake?

2. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    the printing does look a little odd but it changes from time to time. it is also missing the usual information (CE Made in china etc)
    it would help to know the vendor, got a link?

here is what mine looks like, about 8 months old.

PB220102.jpg

3. Namelesss

Namelesss Full Member

I'm not keen to post a link to the vendor in case they aren't fake - I don't want to smear someone's reputation without a sound basis.

I did message AW on another thread asking which vendors he supplies in Australia - the one I bought from is not one of them, however the vendor could have got them from another source and is just reselling them...

4. Thrasher

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    well the real issue is if the vendor didnt go to an authorized carrier for AW, he may have went to somewhere like alibaba and bought them in bulk and he may not know either (if you go to alibaba and search, 100's of aw's will come up) it is easy to get fooled.

in any case it would be best to notify the place where you bought them about your concerns and see what they have to say, he may hate you or he may thank you, who knows.

5. Susan W.

Susan W. Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2013
    Torrance, CA
    Mine looks exactly like Thrasher's.

6. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I agree with this. I have AW batteries that are almost a year and a half old and some that are newer purchased at various times since, and none of mine have printed lettering like OP's. I'm highly suspicious. Even the AW logo sticker looks odd.

7. FringeChief68

FringeChief68 Kingsguard Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
  8. Paul.K

Paul.K Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    California
    These are mine. One was from Provape, another from RTD, and one was from Vapetoberfest. Pretty sure mine are real. They are all only a few months old.

[​IMG]

9. Vwls

Vwls Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    AZ
    Differences I am seeing:

The ones suspected to be fake are missing the line of text and small logos that begins with CE. Also the plus and minus signs are different - the (possible) fakes are not red on black background - they are black text.

It would be great if we could come up with a foolproof way to detect the fakes. Anyone have one that looks like the possible fakes but has lasted a long time and performed well?

10. Namelesss

Namelesss Full Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Yes, straight away I noticed the missing logos, etc. The text on mine look like a dot-matrix font. I am really disappointed, to say the least...

11. Spydro

Spydro Sindoyen Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2013
    I recently got 4 18350's that I believed to be fakes when I got them... they look just like yours. None of my others are fakes IMO. My fault for buying them off FleaBay in the first place, and for not paying close enough attention to the ad picture posted. When I got them and looked back at the ad this seller did not state that they were genuine. So while not being totally honest maybe if they are in fact fakes he also didn't lie. He did screw up and sent me 4 18650's first and I had to wait for him to resend with an RMA to return the others on. So to get what I actually bought/paid for instantly took 14 days from about 415 road miles away. I won't single him out by name or exact location because he didn't misrepresent. But keep in mind there is a seller of AW IMR batteries in the Salt Lake City valley that sells ones that look just like yours.

12. Jimi D.

Jimi D. ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    That's how the original AW batteries used to look like. That is very interesting !

P1000476.jpg

These are the originals from Hong Kong in 2009 by Andrew Wan.

13. Ozwald

Ozwald Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
  14. Thrasher

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    like I said earlier, dont hold the vendors feet over the fire too quickly, as I stated, sometimes they are being duped into buying the fakes as well, it's very easy to go to a wholesale site like alibaba and get stung if you dont really know what your doing or what to look out for.

im sure a couple vendors out there know they are doing it, but I have run into a couple people who honestly thought they got the real deal and were upset when they realized they got suckered as well.

15. Lisa66

Lisa66 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2011
    Florida
    I have only bought AW's from ProVape....18490 and 18350. Some of them have the additional printing and some do not.

16. Ozwald

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    Only 2 things that matter are you still have your face and your warranty.

17. EvilZoe

EvilZoe Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Am I the only one who avoids alibaba like the plague??

There are plenty of other wholesalers with reliable track records than some of the shady sellers there.

18. Ozwald

Nov 12, 2013
    Montana
    I won't even click on any of their links if they pop up in a search, nor would I ever consider buying anything from them.

19. Thrasher

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    alibaba is fun, type in something and see how many photoshopped ads pop up for items that dont actually exist. wanna see something stupid? search for a provari - bet you never owned a provari clearomizer before lol

and its always fun to read ads where the translator gets stuck like this -
    Toppest selling Innokin itaste VTR best quality provari variable voltage

besides it isnt for the regular folks looking for one of something, it is a dealer site for people looking at bulk items, far easier to get under the minimum amount set by manufacturers going through dealers on AB

( i think thats my word of the day right there - Toppest selling-)

20. EvilZoe

EvilZoe Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I know it's for dealers. You'll notice I DID say "wholesalers" lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.