Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
OK, in light of that comment, do you think I should keep using them and learn my lesson for next time?

Umm... What are you using them in? And are they getting hot? Holding a charge okay? The only thing I would be concerned with is whether or not they are truly IMR chemistry. I don't like these people throwing AW stickers on them, but they may be fine... Hard to tell

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
OK, in light of that comment, do you think I should keep using them and learn my lesson for next time?
A reliable vendor will get his merchandise from a reliable dealer, especially in a world of fakes and clones.

I would trust merchandise from ProVape or RTD. I don't know that I'd trust batteries from many other places, really.

If you're worried about your batteries, return them and tell them why. If they don't refund you your money, there is something wrong with that vendor because it strikes me as a legitimate concern and I know a reputable vendor wouldn't have an issue with accommodating you.

Umm... What are you using them in?

I'm using them in my provari mini (it's the only mod I own)

And are they getting hot?

I haven't felt anything getting warm in the device itself, the PT2 gets a bit warm sometimes when I chainvape... I can't tell.

Holding a charge okay?

Well, it's been early days (had them for less than a month), but I have noticed that a 18490 lasts longer than one of the 18650's, but I put that down to having to break the batteries in... When I put in a fresh battery, the Cb function on the mini tells me they have 4.1V so I guess they do.

The only thing I would be concerned with is whether or not they are truly IMR chemistry. I don't like these people throwing AW stickers on them, but they may be fine... Hard to tell

I share the concern - I don't want my face blown off!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm starting to believe AW batteries are all just Chinese cells. I think Andrew Wan stopped rating them, because of the cloning fiasco.
The rumor has always been AW tests and picks the best ICR batteries from Japan, rewraps them in his trademark black wrappings and AW decal as the protected AW ICR battery.

However, Japan doesn't make IMR batteries in 18490, 18350, or 14500 size. The AW IMR batteries themselves say "Made in China". So where are these batteries coming from? Should we really care? Wherever they come from and regardless of who makes them, they tend to be a higher quality battery that is consistant in quality from one battery to another. They've earned the reputation as the most recommended battery available to us.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I'm starting to believe AW batteries are all just Chinese cells. I think Andrew Wan stopped rating them, because of the cloning fiasco.
at this point they all say "made in china"
while they have proven to be a great cell and work exceptionally well it has always slightly bothered me that no real information can be found about them. i mean contacting him directly through a forum for bulk deals? it costs nothing for a website these days, and has aways left a little lingering paranoia about what he may really be doing here.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
The rumor has always been AW tests and picks the best ICR batteries from Japan, rewraps them in his trademark black wrappings and AW decal as the protected AW ICR battery.

However, Japan doesn't make IMR batteries in 18490, 18350, or 14500 size. The AW IMR batteries themselves say "Made in China". So where are these batteries coming from? Should we really care? Wherever they come from and regardless of who makes them, they tend to be a higher quality battery that is consistant in quality from one battery to another. They've earned the reputation as the most recommended battery available to us.
Damned right we should care ! What if the AW 1600's are not rated at 15C ???

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Here's something I found when trying to find stuff about Andrew Wan. He is present in Candle Power Forums (flashlight enthusiasts???) with a supplier thread and is selling people his products directly on the forum. There is a post at the top of page 47 where an Australian asks who genuine suppliers of AW products are in his/her country and an answer is given:

IMR16340 / IMR14500 / IMR18350 / IMR18490 / IMR18650 / IMR26500 *Part 2* - Page 47

I skimmed through the thread a little and this really does appear to be Andrew Wan. I obtained the link to it via another search result that ended up on another flashlight forum.

I'm wondering if we should post a similar question directly to him there??

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Here's something I found when trying to find stuff about Andrew Wan. He is present in Candle Power Forums (flashlight enthusiasts???) with a supplier thread and is selling people his products directly on the forum. There is a post at the top of page 47 where an Australian asks who genuine suppliers of AW products are in his/her country and an answer is given:

IMR16340 / IMR14500 / IMR18350 / IMR18490 / IMR18650 / IMR26500 *Part 2* - Page 47

I skimmed through the thread a little and this really does appear to be Andrew Wan. I obtained the link to it via another search result that ended up on another flashlight forum.

why not? sounds like an idea.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys

WOW !! Nice find :)

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Just registered in the forum........ Let me look around for a bit in that thread to make sure someone else hasn't asked the same question for the US. Also, to make sure I can post in the marketplace right away; not sure if I have to get some posts in first. Um, I have a flashlight - but it's not like I love it or anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread