Are painted tanks a concern? atomizer rta rda coating coated

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
I usually just go with the silver unpainted-looking option. But nowadays even silver looks like it's painted. I just don't trust these paints, one more thing to worry about.

I love that cotton wicks so well and we don't use silica anymore even though people used to swear that a vape doesn't get hot enough to start burning silica but it's just peace of mind that I'd rather maybe smoke a little tad of cotton vs some weird man-made silica.

I don't like plastic juice bottles either or a lot of tank o-rings.
I don't like brass possibly being in screws or decks even though people swore it doesn't get hot enough to matter.

To be honest I think the 'flavor' part of the e juice mix is probably of the most concern, although I do vape flavorless often and it's still good.

Like I said, nowadays even the silver options look like paint. I used to go for surgical grade 316 stainless atomizers. I gladly pay $30 for an Authentic if it's 316L vs a clone for $5 which might be shady metal.
I know it's not painted like with a spray or paint brush lol, it's basically powder coated baked into the metal or something but I still just don't like it. I'm not about to limit my tank choices to only pure, unpainted tanks either though. I might have come across some review videos though and people said the paint does actually chip off in some tanks, especially if using 'acidic' (wrong lingo word but forgive me) juices like pineapple, cinnamon, citrus, etc.

so does anyone actually know for sure what we're dealing with with these painted-looking tanks?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
As long as it is not flaking, it is probably fine. Even if a few nano-particles are getting into the juice/vapor it is likely no more dangerous than the air in any metropolitan city or possibly the food you eat. Metals can leech from cookware into foods as you cook them (especially new/unused cookware). Not a lot of the substances are getting into the juice or the degradation would quickly become visibly obvious. Still, you are probably going to be "safer" sticking to bare SS tanks. I do that, but more so everything matches to everything else I have than safety.

Now notice all of the "probably"s and "likely"s in the above paragraph. The bottom line is no testing has been done, and if this is not an acceptable risk, then don't do it. The only guarantees in life are death and taxes, and we might even be able to cheat death some day.

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Until you can get the chemical makeup or possible MSDS of the stuff used, it’s impossible to really know.

The safe assumption; yours being to take pause, is correct. Especially with the volitility of realtively rapid temperature shifts, and odd chemical makesups in flavorings these day (especially once you start getting citrus going). The temperature shifts can cause molecular delamination, Even Authentic attys aren’t safe from criticism, as I doubt any of them know precisely what they’re doing (and what it means) to paint your mod. In the past I’ve seen the painting all over, with sometimes on juice contacting parts. Presently, I don’t know the landscape to tell you have rampant the issue may be; I never cared for colored atomizers (sort of a snob who use to buy only expensive ones that never employed the use of coloring).

O rings are a more pressing concern, they’re leaching constantly due to their flexible nature and also being in contact with juice.

Now whether any of this is to a degree where the body is incapable neutralizing, or ignoring until excretion, is anyone’s guess at this point, though artificial chemical compounds don’t usually sail from th lungs and blood, directly to put the body.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
CustomMeme2.jpg

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
O rings are a more pressing concern, they’re leaching constantly due to their flexible nature and also being in contact with juice.

But are they really? These O rings are made of the same, or at least very similar, materials as the O rings in your kitchen sink as well as as your refrigerator's ice maker and water dispenser. Water IS a chemical solvent by it's own nature and the additional minerals and elements in various water supplies can add to that. If O rings could easily leech contaminates then vaping should NOT be your only source for concern.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
As long as it is not flaking, it is probably fine. Even if a few nano-particles are getting into the juice/vapor it is likely no more dangerous than the air in any metropolitan city or possibly the food you eat. Metals can leech from cookware into foods as you cook them (especially new/unused cookware). Not a lot of the substances are getting into the juice or the degradation would quickly become visibly obvious. Still, you are probably going to be "safer" sticking to bare SS tanks. I do that, but more so everything matches to everything else I have than safety

true. Forget to add that tid bit that for one example, breathing exhaust in a tunnel or something is likely much worse than vaping 20 tanks of juice, or breathing household cleaners, etc etc, but that I just like my beloved vape to be as clean as possible.

But are they really? These O rings are made of the same, or at least very similar, materials as the O rings in your kitchen sink as well as as your refrigerator's ice maker and water dispenser. Water IS a chemical solvent by it's own nature and the additional minerals and elements in various water supplies can add to that. If O rings could easily leech contaminates then vaping should NOT be your only source for concern

even the o rings in an ice maker etc though might be unsafe. There's a limit on the safety level and they (FDA or something) can at any time simply raise that level. Something can be harmful but they can allow small amounts and therefore call it harmless, and they can raise the amount.
It's like BPA they said was no good, but then replaced it with something that also might not be harmless. When they used asbestos in everything, and lead paint, they had no idea.

as one said, even authentic pure 316L attys might not know what they're doing, or really care, or have any sort of regulation. And the coil wire, etc, who really know. Better than smoking though - no combustion (or very minimal if anything does 'burn" instead of vaporize.

I still have to narrow down my list but there's some attys in there I think I'll be getting that look painted even in the silver version. Not a big deal though but kinda stupid if you ask me, and kinda tacky. Just leave it clean steel for the silver version.

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
true. Forget to add that tid bit that for one example, breathing exhaust in a tunnel or something is likely much worse than vaping 20 tanks of juice, or breathing household cleaners, etc etc, but that I just like my beloved vape to be as clean as possible.

even the o rings in an ice maker etc though might be unsafe. There's a limit on the safety level and they (FDA or something) can at any time simply raise that level. Something can be harmful but they can allow small amounts and therefore call it harmless, and they can raise the amount.
It's like BPA they said was no good, but then replaced it with something that also might not be harmless. When they used asbestos in everything, and lead paint, they had no idea.

as one said, even authentic pure 316L attys might not know what they're doing, or really care, or have any sort of regulation. And the coil wire, etc, who really know. Better than smoking though - no combustion (or very minimal if anything does 'burn" instead of vaporize.

I still have to narrow down my list but there's some attys in there I think I'll be getting that look painted even in the silver version. Not a big deal though but kinda stupid if you ask me, and kinda tacky. Just leave it clean steel for the silver version.

I disagree with most of that but there is 0 evidence/proof either way. So rather than debate the various "if"s and "but"s, I'll just say you have to either accept the risk and vape, or don't and quit. Just don't go back to smoking as we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that is not safe.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Well, I grew up picking my nose and eating dirt.

Played in the sand and ate lunch without washing my hands.

Kissed the girls and made them...wait...wrong thread for that one.

Smoked for 20 years, drank for a few less.

Ignore the 5 second rule on a regular basis.

Have 2 painted RDAs that I couldn't begin to tell you wants in the paint. Use them daily with juice from silicone bottle made in places I've never seen.

Still alive and disease free.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
The outside should be fine.

I was just worried about it getting hot and it giving off some dangerous chemicals or something. However, I wasn’t going to paint where it’s exposed to juice. So with your response, I think I’ll try it! Just think of all the pretty possibilities...they’re endless![emoji4]

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I was just worried about it getting hot and it giving off some dangerous chemicals or something. However, I wasn’t going to paint where it’s exposed to juice. So with your response, I think I’ll try it! Just think of all the pretty possibilities...they’re endless![emoji4]

The outside of the tank shouldn't get hot enough to be an issue. I would say make sure the polish is dry and no longer emitting an odor prior to vaping. Then if it does start emitting an odor, you will know, and can just remove the polish with acetone.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
The outside of the tank shouldn't get hot enough to be an issue. I would say make sure the polish is dry and no longer emitting an odor prior to vaping. Then if it does start emitting an odor, you will know, and can just remove the polish with acetone.

Excellent advice!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Excellent advice!
I have seen other members here at ECF that use nail polish on the outside of their tanks and mods so they would match not only each other but their fingernails also......the pics looked great!!! Never tried it myself tho.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread