Are Silver plated contacts better than solid Copper? Info I need for next purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
What emus said. Solid silver would be better, but expensive.

Yeah it's hard to find any clones that has solid silver, Thats why I was wondering about the copper instead. The launcher V2 has copper contacts.

Been looking at Wicked wood box mods though, 2 18650's in parallel in a very nicely stained box. Might jump on the pre order list for that puppy.

Kaiser Bob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Denver, CO
Silver plated anything is marginally better for our uses, shouldn't be a skin effect with DC. Plus if the plating job was poor it could be worse. Copper is so close anyway unless you got money to burn solid copper all the way.

* Oh yeah tubes, again silver (if you can afford) > copper > aluminum/brass (the copper % In the brass decides) > stainless steel in a distant last.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Korzik

Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Chicagoland, IN, USA
Yeah, gold is better than silver for conductivity. I think platinum is the best natural material, but I'm not entirely sure.

Silver is the best you can get. I'm really not sure how Gold plated components have become so popular as I think copper even outperforms gold.

Edit: Quick google-fu pulled up that the order is indeed. Silver then Copper then Gold.
Gold likely became popular because it doesn't tarnish. (even though tarnished silver is still better than clean copper)

Last edited:

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
I vote nay to benefits of silver- or any other kind of plating.
Mmmmh.... maybe apart from preventing oxydisation of the metal beneath it.
But keep your copper/brass contacts clean and they should fire the same.

Solid silver contacts... Okay... much more likely that could make some sort
of difference. Haven't tried though.

Personally i don't care about that last bit of efficiency though.
Compared to the difference that arises from wrapping your own coils
in a slightly different way every time (stock coils are even worse... they are all
over the place...)... the difference between... say... copper and silver contacts
is forgettable... imho.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Copper contacts are generally fine for mods. Stainless steel is my choice for mod tube and battery cap construction just because it's durable. Adding a little No-Lox or Ox-Guard to the threads will make up for any oxidation that occurs on connections. Silver may be overkill for an ecig mod just because of cost, but if you can find silver plated microswitch type contacts for the fire button and sliver plated connector pins without paying an arm and a leg, buy them.

Silver tends to arc and pit less on switch contacts than plain old copper. That matters on a mechanical mod, less on VV/VW mods because of lower current draw. Still, variable mods experience bouncing contacts that result in spikes that cause erratic results.

I've seen copper contacts in high voltage relays that lasted for years in 220v circuits and I've seen silver plated contacts in the same circuits that pitted badly in the center with similar loads and actuation cycles. The copper grade used in manufacturing has a lot to do with that. Quality parts always pay off.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Silver is the best you can get. I'm really not sure how Gold plated components have become so popular as I think copper even outperforms gold.

Edit: Quick google-fu pulled up that the order is indeed. Silver then Copper then Gold.
Gold likely became popular because it doesn't tarnish. (even though tarnished silver is still better than clean copper)

IDK about the use in mech mods, but gold is "popular" exactly for the reason you stated: it doesn't tarnish/oxidize. Silver DOES. So even though copper and silver are better conductors, they are not good over time due to oxidation. This is why all your computer stuffis has gold plated contacts. They are not doing it for fun or bling. Believe me, they'd love to use silver instead gold if they could. Of course the computer stuff is a bit sensitive in a different way and they are constant-contacts.

OP, I suspect plating your pins would be an exercise in futility...because of arcing. Unless the plating is very thick, it will just "spot" fry and fail anyway. There's an electrical arc every time you press the button....several arcs in fact. So solid material would be better, IMO. So that means copper (which oxidizes also) or brass (which is tougher).

I think most people just use the brass and lightly sand it occasionally.

Best guesses and :2c:

EDIT: and all the other stuff people said too. :p

Last edited:

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD

Guess I was mistaken. It's been years since I had to worry about any of that.

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
Gold is actually not better than silver for conductivity BUT the properties of gold are better for use in sound equipment and complex electronics. I'm not exactly sure why but it fits somewhere in between silver and copper as far as conductivity goes. This is why you never see silver plated audio jacks and only ever see aluminum or gold plated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Gold is actually not better than silver for conductivity BUT the properties of gold are better for use in sound equipment and complex electronics. I'm not exactly sure why but it fits somewhere in between silver and copper as far as conductivity goes. This is why you never see silver plated audio jacks and only ever see aluminum or gold plated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cost is a concerning among most starving musicians. I tend to lean toward a cable with good rubber outer insulation and I always unscrew the barrel and look at the connections just to see the solder joints and the mechanics of construction.

I have a 25 year old brass end 20 foot guitar coiled cord that still works well and has no crackle when stretched. Guess where it was made? Hint: You are already there!

Wireless has spoiled me. Air just works (until your batteries die!).

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I looked it up for fun. Someone can check me since I'm not sure how they measure it (like thickness of wire...or maybe "infinite thickness"...the material itself having some resistance without regard to any wire diameter). But here's the figures for each element (gold, silver, copper).

Resistance (ohms per meter):
(Ω•m) at 20 °C
Silver1.59×10−8
Copper1.68×10−8
Gold2.44×10−8
There's a slight difference for annealed vs not-annealed copper, but meh.
Note the exponent, so move the decimal point to the left 8 places...Silver is .0000000159 ohms vs Gold's .0000000244 ohms.
There's different figures for resistance vs conductivity...but I used the ohms figure that we all know and are used to.

Source: http://chemistry.about.com/od/molec...f-Electrical-Resistivity-And-Conductivity.htm

So it's really about how good the contact is...not the material. Tarnish will affect the contact more than material, I'd think. So would the contact surfaces.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
And, to back up AttyPops findings, here's an excerpt from an engineering level industry association paper.

http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/electrical/downloads/tn-23-copper-in-electrical-contacts.pdf

Copper

Commercially pure copper has an electrical conductivity exceeded only by silver
, and this,
together with its ready availability in a wide variety of forms, and its low cost and plentiful
supply compared with precious metals, makes it an obvious choice as a contact material. Full
details of the commercially available grades and relevant British Standards, together with their
mechanical, physical and electrical properties, are contained in CDA publication TN20 - Copper
Data. (now superseded by TN 27)

Copper has a high melting point (1083°C) and high corrosion resistance. There are no
difficulties of attachment by brazing or soldering, and its thermal conductivity is high 397
W/m°C. The disadvantage of copper for contacts is its tendency to form heavy oxide films of
relatively high resistance, especially when arcing occurs.
This effect is particularly disturbing at
lower currents and voltages and at low contact forces. At higher currents the contact surfaces
are kept clean by the arcing on make-break contacts,
and high contact forces can move the
friable oxide from the conducting area, while high voltages can break the oxide film down.

Copper can therefore be used for the higher current range as far as contact resistance is
concerned, although the welding and erosion performance must be taken into account.
When contacts remain closed for long periods, however, the growth of oxide on copper contacts
can become excessive, and lead to overheating, sometimes followed by complete loss of contact
If sustained arcing at low current is initiated, runaway oxide growth can penetrate deep into the
contacts. Silver facing of copper contacts prevents oxidation troubles in such a case. Such
considerations explain the superior behaviour of copper in vacuum, compared with its performance in air

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread