Are there any mentors out there? Venting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

janieT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
I think I need a mentor. I'm miserable - sort of. I want to smoke. Since I started vaping 7 days ago, the first 5 days went well, I went from a pack+ down to 6 analogs. Yesterday, I smoked 8 analogs...today I really want to smoke, so I have been vaping more. When I'm edgy I want to smoke. So I just put an order into a website, put my cc in and bam, internet went down on either my end or their end...can't get back on their site, so I don't know if my order for juice went through. Now I want to smoke, because I'm mad!

I'm so confused by all different jargon. I am waiting for my Riva 510 to arrive. I read that I should buy a Boge cartomizer, but I don't know what the hell it is, then I read to buy all these other accessories. I'm in over 100 bucks already. The EBCblend site was a good site to see, their juice was inexpensive and I could order small quantities to get a better idea of what I liked, I need more suggestions of websites similar to EBC, I can't afford 10.95 for every bottle of juice that I don't like! I'm not a patient person....the site I ordered the Riva from last Friday, just shipped it today.

So really, what do I need for a good vape as far as accessories go? I am desperate to quit smoking. I want lung function again, the ability to go hiking and do fun things with our son. I want to go up and down the stairs without looking for an oxygen tank :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:.

So if you want to mentor, I'd welcome it and I think there are a lot of us newbies who need a good mentor to walk us through this brand new world of not smoking. Thanks!

Angi2299

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2012
W'ford, TX
Hello JanieT. I have been vaping for 4 months. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint. Take it slow and relax. No one on this forum had all the answers after a week. I still don't have them all. Where are you in the USA. If you give a state or metro area, others in your area can chime in. Lots of areas have small groups who get together on a monthly basis. Also, members can help you find a local vape store where you could go and sample juices. Just a few thoughts and I hope things get better.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I want to smoke. Since I started vaping 7 days ago, the first 5 days went well, I went from a pack+ down to 6 analogs. Yesterday, I smoked 8 analogs...today I really want to smoke, so I have been vaping more.
From 1 PAD to 8 analogs is a HUGE success. Understand there are alkoids in tobacco and it takes at least 10- 14 days to rid the body of these.
I'm so confused by all different jargon.
E-Cig Glossary. Definitions, abbreviations, and meanings. | eCigology
I'm in over 100 bucks already.
The first month I was in for $600 and I do not spend wastefully.
I can't afford 10.95 for every bottle of juice that I don't like!
It may sound crazy but best to buy sampler packs OR reach out to vapers in your area and exchange juices.
I am waiting for my Riva 510 to arrive.
Once you get your Riva I can almost guarantee that your needs will be satiated.
As for mentoring and just hangin' out with the ladies...
The Women's Room
Good Luck.

Angi2299

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2012
W'ford, TX
Sorry, forgot to ask what your Riva kit comes with. If it comes with cartomizers, try those out for a few days see if you like what you have. From there you can start playing around with different kinds of cartomizers or tanks or.....the sky's the limit. And juices, wow, no way to tell what you may like now or even tomorrow. Tastes usually change as you vape and get your sense of taste back.

Dant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
NY, NY
I'm sure you will be getting a lot of good advice and recommendations from the veteran vapers shortly.

I just wanted to tell you not to beat yourself up over still smoking at this point. I am smoke-free for 2 weeks now, but I have been vaping for a month. The first 2 weeks I was vaping and smoking while I was ordering various things and still figuring out what hardware, accessories, juice, etc was going to work best for me. Sometimes it takes a little while to get all your ducks in a row before you are ready to quit for good.

Good luck and don't pressure yourself until you have everything you need to succeed ;)

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Hi Janie, I'm sorry your hitting a rough patch, but know this it will get better. I promise :) Right now your fighting withdraws from all of the other nasty chemicals in cigs. I went through 2 weeks of hellish mood swings and pure misery too. There is little you can do during this time but drink lots of water, excercise if you can, and hang tough. I know not much help :( but we/ECF/I will be here to lean on. Please feel free to PM me if you need, I'm always happy to help when I can.

Something that did help me was my frame of mind :blink: I told myself repeatedly like a montra that I was NOT quitting smoking, only changing brands.....This helped me to learn to lean on my PV instead of going and smoking. HOWEVER...... going from a pack to 5-6 smoke a day is really TERRIFIC! Please know your doing so well, that's a huge accomplishment and you should be proud :)

As for your shopping/shipping issues....That sucks. Perhaps if you let us know which state you reside in we can lead you to a well respected local vendor.

Anyhow good luck and stick around, we'er happy your here.

Foggystyle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Georgia
Vapen is definitely expensive but it all goes with the quality over quantity.... You can spend big bucks and get a repairable atomizers or keep spending on atomizers and cartomizers I guess its a personal preference but when you look at some of the signatures on members profiles it looks like youll save more money in the long run not to mention improving your health when investing in e cigs. I personally felt the same way but I used one of my friends $140 pvs and got a big hit of Vape that I could compare to puff on a cigg. The smaller e cigs dont do that for me so I was discouraged at first. As for the juice I cant help you their Im on the same boat Id rather get the ones other people have tried and like and experiment with them than order all these exotic sounding juices that taste like crap.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I was going to suggest a local meetup, but the USA in your location is not local, so I cannot provide any links to get you closer.

I vaped when I could and smoked when I had to. One day I forgot to smoke and haven't since. I didn't fret, stress, or get bent out of shape just because I needed to smoke. Sample packs are the best way to go when finding a juice that works. (Unless there is a vapers meetup going on nearby...)

PittBoss

Vaping like a boss
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lincoln, NE
Vent away! It can be extremely difficult making the switch from smoking to vaping. This is a whole new world filled with waaaay more options rather then which brand you prefer and what type of lighter to buy. The important thing is to try to not become discouraged and remember that you are still transitioning. Patience is not among my virtues, but knowledge is power and the more you read and see things (first hand maybe?) the more relaxed you should become when it'd game time. It may take you a little more time to completely do away with the ciggies, and that is okay! You have already made improvements and once you find what works for you, the better it will all be.

As far as the Boge cartomizer..Boge is the brand, if you will, and does come highly recommended. The low resistance (2 ohm) Boge cartos will be great on your Riva. I would recommend Crystal Clear Vaping for great deals on cartomizers and free shipping on everything. Other then ECBlend, BlueMist has a great selection for even cheaper. I have not tried them as of yet, but have heard good things about them. Sorry to hear about the delay with your Riva, don't know what would cause it but that would depend on the vendor.

For a good vape as far as accessories..you seem to be at a good starting point. A couple of batteries (your Riva kit), some good cartos and juice to suit your needs. You may also try a stardust (or eGo vision clearomizer) for a easy to use solution. They can be found at many vendors for under $5 and mine have lasted at least a month.

Again, it will be difficult but with some patience and when you get your preferred vape, you will hopefully find it much easier and make the full transition. ECF is a good place for answers and support, with a lot of good people to help. I wish you the best, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
When I first started vaping it was recommended to me to get an ego, which I did. My first order I got

Starter kit (I got a joye but others weren't out but it served me really well)
2 boxes of boge 2.0 cartomizers
2 drip tips
pass-thru (this wasn't really necessary for me but an extra battery is or within a month)
30 ml of juice.

I read through reviews and found a juice recommended a lot for the type of cig I smoked (newport). I liked it and that was it. I was good to go.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
You could try WTA for awhile and see if that helps with cravings. I want to get some for when I'm drinking and the temptation for a puff is the highest, hoping it would help curve that. Though WTA juices are more costly and less retailers carry it.

If your unsure of a flavor, buy the 5mL. ECB has them for $2.95 if I recall, which is nothing. Buy a few at a time to justify the shipping (which they keep minimal too). ECB has great customer service, and they shipped out my order on a Saturday (I don't think many sites will do this, but I don't know) for it to arrive Monday.

I'd say you could try out some different cartomizers to vary the vaping experience. A Low Resistance will give more vapor and throat hit than a Standard Resistance, IMO making it more similar to smoking.

Can also play around with PG/VG ratios, nicotine content, etc.

Everybody is different in their quitting of tobacco. Some can just drop it over night, others its a slow process. If it doesn't happen as quickly as you'd like, its OK, just keep in mind that one less cig a day is a huge step in the right direction! Keep up at it, play around with differences on the vaping setup and see how it goes.

I've been using eCigs now for a year and a half... after 30 years of smoking analogs. The first month and a half (for me) was the hardest, but I will tell you this, after six months without cigs, I broke down and fired one up...

...and almost threw up because the taste was so horrible.

The thing I personally found to be helpful in the first two months was to use ecigs that mimicked the 'real thing' (to help with the psychological patterning and habits) and to use HIGH nictotine juice/carts so that when I took a hard/long drag, I got the same 'feel' (Throat hit, nic rush, etc) that I had with cigs.

Good luck, and stick with it!

NGIB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Hinesville, GA
One word of advice - have spares for everything. While I've only been on this site for a few weeks (and vaping for 3 weeks today), I've read LOTS of threads where the OP ran out of something and went back to smokes. I have multiple batteries, spare chargers (home, office, car), lots of juice, and spare cartos. In the coming weeks, I will probably buy some supplies in bulk just to put away...

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
All of that stuff can come later when you've got your bottom line caught up, from the analogs you don't smoke. Right now you have batteries yes? And a better one on the way? You've also got some sort of carto or something that delivers juice effectively yes? Well then, don't worry about Boge cartos, or anything else. Just make sure you have enough juice.

I'm going to be honest with you, for many people, even with ecigs, quitting analogs is a challenge. Just put your mind to it, and resolve yourself to the fact that you will now vape. You may find it unpleasant for a while. I'd say give it about a week or two. After that, you'll feel great. You can also continue on as you've been. Vaping and smoking. Reserve the cigarettes for when you really NEED to smoke, when you'll go nuts if you don't have one. Then gradually replace smoking with vaping. I found that it was a natural progression for me. At first I felt pretty awful, when I resigned myself to cut back to only a few cigs a day, and vape the rest of the time. However, it got easier, and I found myself wanting those last few cigs less and less.

Also, what level of nicotine are you vaping, you may need more. Almost 3 months in I'm down to 6-8mg of nicotine. However, when I first started, I as tipping the scales at 24mg. And believe me, it was necessary. Get your nic level right, and it will come easier.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
There is a location specific section on the forum, maybe you'll find something close to you.. Now that I know where you are I'd say look up FreedomsmokesUSA. their located in Arizona but their shipping is incredibly fast, their and service is top too. I had very good luck finding tasty juice from them. Also something to consider is the PIF section on the forum. Many of us end up with juice we just can't stand so we send it off to some one else and in return you can get all new juice and flavors. This way you can try new things without spending more money :)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Here's the ECF Location Specific Forum for S. Ca
Southern Cali Vapors
And a couple of threads:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/148256-sacramento-pv-stores.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/where-can-i-get/227342-sacramento-area-supplier.html
Good Luck.

Edit: also as stated post a Shout Out thread in the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/womens-room/ you may be pleasantly surprised and find a new friend in the area.

You are all so helpful - a gracious thank you! I live in the Sacramento area. I don't know a single person who smokes or vapes. We are new to the area, so I don't really know anyone here yet. If there is a group, I'd love to find one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread