Are these batteries ok to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lateralus839

Aug 19, 2017
Hey all I picked up 6 Sony vtc5a batteries and got them today 2 out of 6 the positive terminal looks like this:
81159B1C-145F-4C12-A760-E9A93CD2F0D1.jpeg

The rest look normal like this:

46C58A20-55CC-45C9-9999-E46DAA63D40F.jpeg

Are the two batteries that look like the first pic ok to use? or should I contact the vendor ?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't see a huge problem either. I think they would be safe to use. If you are concerned about one battery looking "different" to you, well if you have any single battery mods you could use that one in that, and pair the others. But, I don't see any sort of safety issue, perhaps it's possible they came from different batches but the batteries look okay to me, I'd think you could use them paired and etc.

But overall, it's your body, pics are different from seeing it in person. If you are truly troubled, perhaps contacting the manufacturer and explaining the differences you see might be reassuring, or they may be willing to send a replacement. Nothing to lose there but the bottom line is, these are your hands and face we are talking about, so if you are uncomfortable, well, you could certainly decide not to use it.. If I feel discomfort toward any of my batteries, I take them out of rotation, or rewrap, or do what's needed.

So, I think that truly you should be guided by your own concerns.

Anna

Lance Holden

Jul 29, 2017
You paid good money for the batteries I’m assuming so imo anything but a flawless cell is unacceptable and I can clearly see the dent or it may be a defect from the machining during assembly in the first picture. As Mooch says no damage to the battery casing is acceptable and although the risk is likely minimal, it’s just not worth it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Maybe a side shot of the top of the battery would help, but they look the same looking down from the top to me.

RTD is a trusted vendor. I've used him for several years for nearly all of my battery purchases.

The only problem I had with RTD Vapor concerned a dual battery Xtar charger for 18350 batteries which was wired backwards. The only way it would charge batteries was if the batteries were placed upside down. Apparently this was a factory manufacturer issue. I contacted RTD and he sent me a new charger for free (no return was necessary).

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hey all thanks for all the help I contacted RTD and was very impressed with them there going to exchange the batteries for me and even sent me a shipping label to send them back to them
RTD has always treated me right. I'm glad you are impressed, too. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread