Are these juices OK for my device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have been getting vape juices from vapebox (subscription... once a month, just choose general catagories... don't always get what you want, but it's cheap) I am using an Aspire PockeX (AIO) with either 0.6 ohm or 1.2 ohm coils. This month they threw a "curve ball" at me... nic salts juices:
Fresh Pressed "Sugar Tantrum" 60vg/40pg 12 mg nic salts (custard with vanilla and pecan)
Thr33 Monkeyz "White grape Tangerine" 75vg/25pg 12mg nic slats (fruit)
The first one should be OK with my 1.2 ohm coil, but not the second (too much VG) Would it be OK with 0.6 ohm coil? If I have to, I have 50/50 tobacco juice to mix (18 mg nic) I use it to dilute thicker juices and/or boost nic level.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Thanks. I don't mind the harshness of the higher nicotine (when I quit cigs 2 months ago, I was doing 18mg anyway) I got confused because vapebox has a new option for nic salts juice... I suspect they are promoting this by slipping a few in this month. I have been looking at different devices, and some are not recommended for nic salts (I wanted to try these anyway, but waiting till I got my mod/tank... found a great deal but if I tell you they might sell out before I can get one ;) ) I mostly have 1.2 ohm coils... only four 0.6 left so ordering one more 5-pack (I'm on a slim budget, that's why I do vapebox) If anyone is low on funds, and not too picky, try vapebox (first sample box is free plus shipping... even after that, at $20 plus shipping it's a good deal) Many people take advantage of the intro offer and then cancel subscription. Please don't do that to them... very good people and it's cool to be surprised each month (you can still cancel at any time) No, I have no "affiliation"... just saying this. Recently there is a another company with similar name so here's the link if interested:
Vapebox: E-Liquid and Vape Hardware Subscription Box
Peace out, vape on.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I have been looking at different devices, and some are not recommended for nic salts
The effects of both salt and freebase nic are equivalent at equal concentrations. Claims that devices are "meant" for one or the other are marketing fluff. That means if you vape 12mg freebase on a device you can substitute 12mg salt on the same device with no concern.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
That means if you vape 12mg freebase on a device you can substitute 12mg salt on the same device with no concern.

Salts and freebase are not 1:1 ratio.Nicotine salts have an acid added which usually makes up 42,95 % of salt. The other 57,05% of salt is freebase nicotine.So I would say the equivalent for 12mg free base is around 21mg nic salt.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Salts and freebase are not 1:1 ratio.Nicotine salts have an acid added which usually makes up 42,95 % of salt. The other 57,05% of salt is freebase nicotine.So I would say the equivalent for 12mg free base is around 21mg nic salt.
Incorrect. The freebase and the acid are consumed in the reaction that produces the salt molecule, eg. nicotine benzoate. Salt nic is measured in mg of this per mL, so 12mg is 12mg regardless.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Thanks. I get it, no worries. The vaping world can be confusing... do this, don't do that... I will just try things and find out for myself.
Things that come naturally to us are often exceedingly complicated when analyzed. The best way to learn is by doing.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'll order one more 5 pack of 0.6 ohm coils. By the way (like I said in a different thread) I'm still trying to decide if I like the 0.6 or 1.2 coils better. Basically, I want to get a mod with the Naulilus X tank so I can use the same coils as my PockeX, and eventually have two tanks with different coils (for different juices... some need the sub-ohm coils) It's not like I can't decide or know what I want... that's easy, a high end setup from Geekvape and some Black Note Sonata, but for now it's vapebox and closeout sale mods/tanks (and the pockex will be my backup) It's OK, kind of fun anyway (not always getting what you want)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
OK, did some reading and think it's the higher PG. Has nothing to do with nicotine (different kind of throat thing and I often do 18mg... this juice is only 12mg) It's like a tickle/itch feeling... not harsh like high nic) Maybe a flavor thing too... juice might get better with age. It is a nice flavor juice and I'm using an AIO with 1.2 ohm coils so vaping nice cool mellow hits.
By the way, when I read posts talking about VG/PG ratios and they just give numbers (60/40, 40/60) without the letters VG, PG it drives me nuts! Not everyone does them in the same order so it's meaningless.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
By the way, when I read posts talking about VG/PG ratios and they just give numbers (60/40, 40/60) without the letters VG, PG it drives me nuts! Not everyone does them in the same order so it's meaningless.
The convention is to state the mix proportion with PG first no matter which is larger.(PG/VG).Unfortunately not everyone follows/knows the convention.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I just realized it might not be the PG. I often mix 50VG/50PG (18mg tobacco flavor) with thicker juices (70VG/30PG) to end up around 40% PG (and boost the nic level) and haven't had throat issues. Also, at first I was using Naked juice that was 35% PG and no issues. I do have another juice that is high VG and clogs my coils, so might try mixing there (both custard flavors) I know eveyone says don't mix juices, but I've had good luck so far (very often mix in some lemon/strawberry with my custards... works great!

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The effects of both salt and freebase nic are equivalent at equal concentrations. Claims that devices are "meant" for one or the other are marketing fluff. That means if you vape 12mg freebase on a device you can substitute 12mg salt on the same device with no concern.

Although you can use any juice in any device (but achieve different performance), this has been proven untrue.

You may be consuming the same amount of nicotine either way. But the effect is far from the same, and it's measured - not just perception. Juul's original Pax Labs chart is pretty well known for illustrating the actual measured nicotine/plasma concentration on a timeline, and showing nic salts hit the bloodstream faster- at least 3x as fast. And maintains a higher level well after consumption.

This 2019 peer reviewed study (second chart) repeats those results, with discussion as to why. Freebase is in yellow highlighted lines. The green line in the second chart compares 25mg salt vs. 25mg fb in the same device. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11739-019-02025-3
upload_2019-7-1_14-47-15.png

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Brewdawg, I understand the chart (not arguing) but I didn't notice a stronger nicotine effect with the 12 mg nic salts compared to my usual 12 mg freebase. That was using a 1.2 ohm coil... might be different when I try 0.6 ohm coil. Obviously, neither is even close to a real cig. By the way, I've been reading posts about "throat hit" (my issue seems different) and I really can't imagine that many people actually want TH. I just need my nicotine... smoother is fine with me.

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Brewdawg, I understand the chart (not arguing) but I didn't notice a stronger nicotine effect with the 12 mg nic salts compared to my usual 12 mg freebase. That was using a 1.2 ohm coil... might be different when I try 0.6 ohm coil. Obviously, neither is even close to a real cig. By the way, I've been reading posts about "throat hit" (my issue seems different) and I really can't imagine that many people actually want TH. I just need my nicotine... smoother is fine with me.
I don't really use nic salt much any more - the kind I got from Nic River, was too smooth for me, even though it was the "hit" nic version. I like my TH, and wish I could tolerate more PG. And I smoked so long, and have vaped a few years, so maybe my nic sensors are a little calloused. I don't get a really huge difference from my son's nic salts, or mine compared to FB, but I do feel a difference. But I keep a Juul onhand for discrete store/restaurant vapes, and something about their's seems different. I mean, it generates a tiny amount of vapor, yet I definitely feel it quick when I hit one really hard.

Anyway, I don't think all salt-nic is equal. And I definitely don't believe FB and salt are equal at all. I hear that a lot, and spent a good bit of time reading about it, so it always makes me respond when I see that stated. Sorry I'm not more help to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread