• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Are you a pearlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
So every so often, someone wants to popularize a term other than "atheist" because of all the baggage that comes along with that word. Universally, these are either stupid ("Brights") or are actually a subset of the group encompassed by atheists ("humanists," "freethinker," etc.) and already perfectly good terms on their own.

Now, personally, I've got no problem calling myself an atheist. More specifically, I'm a gnostic atheist. I'm also a humanist, skeptic, and freethinker. So I usually ignore the new terms that people offer up as either bad or unnecessary.

But recently, I've come across a new term, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. There's a poster on YouTube (thunderf00t) who's been trying to popularize the term "pearlist." It sounds pretty dumb at first, but it stands for Physical Evidence And Reasoned Logic, which is not only a good position, but also encompasses my own atheism, skepticism, and freethinker qualities. So it actually seems to be useful in creating a broader category that I think might apply to many atheists.

So, like I said, I'm a bit up in the air when it comes to the idea of using "pearlist" in conversations. What do you all think about the term?

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I am a Houser (as in Dr. Greg House), not to be confused with Hooser or hoser.:D

I don't think about my atheism that much and it hardly ever comes up in conversation. I'm more focused on how I and others are living our lives. Some of the finest people I know are religious. I don't hold that against them.

When I do think about it, it's often in the same way as House does, with annoyance/frustration at the damage that can stem from irrationality.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Well, to be fair, what we call ourselves does matter. Strangely enough, there are people who have no problem if you say you are "non-religious" or "you know, I never even thought about that." But if you say that you are an "atheist," well, some people react very badly.

I've actually had some friendships end abruptly when the topic of religion came up and I said I was an atheist. All the good conduct in the world doesn't seem to make a difference to a large subset of the population -- once the a-word is brought up, they just shut down and remove themselves.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
What about a term such as "Humanist". I hate to get into the pro and con of things. It was very tricky how the anti abortionists call themselves "Pro Life". If one doesn't believe in that philosophy they are assumed to be Pro Death (via abortion). So...when you have Christians, Islam and Judaism just to name a few label you agnostic or atheist you open your self up to : "the opposite of them" and we all know that can never be a good thing! So let's not label ourselves as something contrary or opposite, let's try a gentler approach where we believe in the strength and good of man kind, period. Mankind can and is a great and gentle being, forgiving and helpful, honorable and moral, all without the assistance of a formed religion.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
I'm right with you about defining yourself by means of a rejection of something else. That's the general idea behind the pearlist terminology -- instead of saying what we aren't, lets talk about what we are.

"Humanist" is problematic, because you can be a religious humanist or a secular humanist, so the term doesn't really encapsulate the whole issue of non-theism.

Aizen-sama

Verified Member
Feb 25, 2010
New Jersey
I'm perfectly happy calling myself an atheist, thank you very much. Pearlist sounds just as dumb as Bright does to me.

I actually like the fact that the term 'atheist' gets a response from theists. It gives me a chance to clear up their misconceptions about that term and its implications, and maybe an opening for some counter-evangelism. ;)

Speaking of conduct, I must say that I think it's beautiful that the Christian Vapers forum isn't open to comments or even viewing by non-members of their social group. Mirrors the mindset of the faithful perfectly, especially when compared to our open Atheist Vapers forum.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
I prefer to call myself a pagan. Nobody takes that seriously
Wait...are you a pagan? Or an atheist? I'm not sure if you're saying that you call yourself a pagan because that's what you are, or if you call yourself that to shut down the conversation.

I try to be honest in all my interpersonal dealings, so it would be nice if there was a simple word that summed up my beliefs, but there isn't. One that even gets a good chunk of them all at once would be good, too.

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
I got a visit from two missionaries who were trying to prove that God is real scientificly. I told them that all religions constantly upgrade their tenets to reflect a modern view point. That God was merely a figment of man's imagination. Then they spent fifteen minutes proving my first assertion, that all religions modernize, and eventually change their original message. They left me a booklet that validated my claim on the first page. I didn't bother reading any further.

Well, to be fair, what we call ourselves does matter. Strangely enough, there are people who have no problem if you say you are "non-religious" or "you know, I never even thought about that." But if you say that you are an "atheist," well, some people react very badly.

I've actually had some friendships end abruptly when the topic of religion came up and I said I was an atheist. All the good conduct in the world doesn't seem to make a difference to a large subset of the population -- once the a-word is brought up, they just shut down and remove themselves.

I've become adjusted to that. It shows who are truly your friends and are open for discussion. If they drop you like a hot rock simply because you can't believe the same way they do, then that's their problem and not yours. It's just time to find better friends, that's all.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I was talking to this one guy and he said he was a muslim, I think he wanted to gauge my reaction. I said I was an Atheist and I thought the top of his head was going to pop off. He was like, "that's ridiculous! How do you explain the sun in the sky!?!" I was thinking, "really? That's the best you can come up with?" I just politely changed the subject.
This other time I was at work service espresso drinks to people and religion came up. I told this guy I was an Atheist and he started backing toward the door (yes, he really did) like it was contagious or something and at the same time trying to argue with me, him: "no, you're just agnostic!"
me: "nooo...I don't believe in god."
him: "that's...that's,,," (almost at the door)
me: "hey, I don't have anything against religion, I just don't...." (he's gone already)

So then I'm thinking...do people confuse Atheism with satanism? What's the deal? I'm not a bad person....

So then I'm thinking...do people confuse Atheism with Satanism? What's the deal? I'm not a bad person....

Yep, that's basically it. They see Atheist = Satan , because they know of Satan as being the worst wicked one that God casted out. They think if you're not on God's side, then you are Evil.

If you're Agnostic, then they think you just don't know any better and there's a good chance you will sit on their side of the fence some day.

SuperTrooper

Apr 9, 2010
Tennessee
Definitely sounds like a case of: "if you're not with us, you're against us."

I am not really worried about the reaction. It comes up a lot here. I am stationed in Louisiana and there is a ton of bible thumping down here. I think no one should hide or adjust who they are to avoid an exchange of words. Well at least not in the states where everyone's views and beliefs are Constitutionally protected. When someone gets all .... hurt when I respond with "I don't believe in god, or any other supernatural power," its on them. I don't freak out when ever someone tells me they are Lutheran, Muslim, Jewish, etc.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
I've become adjusted to that. It shows who are truly your friends and are open for discussion. If they drop you like a hot rock simply because you can't believe the same way they do, then that's their problem and not yours. It's just time to find better friends, that's all.

Well, that's not always the case. If it's purely a social relationship, then what you say is valid, but that changes if the person has any power over you. If the person is your boss, it can affect your employment and promotion opportunities. Similar situations exist for police, judges, elected representatives, teachers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread