Are you sure your kids don't vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm sure my 20 year old doesn't vape. He did smoke, switched to vaping (his choice, but I fully supported it even financially for a while) and quit, coming up on 8 months I believe, of quitting vaping.

He vapes the occasional no nic with his friends, but he fully detoxed off vaping nicotine and rarely vapes even 0 nic. I'm fairly certain he's not vaping nic, since he asks me to make no nic flavors for him and seems to have plenty of money to vape nic if he wants.

He quit smoking AND vaping, before I fully transitioned to vaping. LOL. He gifted me "his" gear. So, the circle is complete. I would much rather having him vaping 0 nic sporadically than smoke cigarettes.

LOL, my kiddo didn't get away with much.... He was like me, started as a rotten teen and rather quickly received "consequences" he didn't like, and got sober younger than I! I say kudos to the next generation who become early adopters of vape technology. I am convinced he would still be smoking today if not for vaping. I also don't regret anything (other than second hand smoke in the car, which was the only place he got it but he had bad asthma and allergies for a while until we got him allergy shots. I couldn't break my addiction to smoking in the car... :( I tried.

Anna

nicotineisbomb

Nov 24, 2017
I'm sure my 20 year old doesn't vape. He did smoke, switched to vaping (his choice, but I fully supported it even financially for a while) and quit, coming up on 8 months I believe, of quitting vaping.

He vapes the occasional no nic with his friends, but he fully detoxed off vaping nicotine and rarely vapes even 0 nic. I'm fairly certain he's not vaping nic, since he asks me to make no nic flavors for him and seems to have plenty of money to vape nic if he wants.

He quit smoking AND vaping, before I fully transitioned to vaping. LOL. He gifted me "his" gear. So, the circle is complete. I would much rather having him vaping 0 nic sporadically than smoke cigarettes.

LOL, my kiddo didn't get away with much.... He was like me, started as a rotten teen and rather quickly received "consequences" he didn't like, and got sober younger than I! I say kudos to the next generation who become early adopters of vape technology. I am convinced he would still be smoking today if not for vaping. I also don't regret anything (other than second hand smoke in the car, which was the only place he got it but he had bad asthma and allergies for a while until we got him allergy shots. I couldn't break my addiction to smoking in the car... :( I tried.

Anna
Well said, wish I could be more like him but unfortunately there is nothing I want more than a cigarette right now, lol.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I can't spank the kid, even if I wanted to (I don't). He's pushing 6 foot and started picking me up and laughing at about age 14. He seemed to enjoy himself. LOL. Of course, I didn't spank him even when I could, spanking is such a retro and ineffective way to apply discipline.

My punishments were usually Machiavellian, focusing on some "skill" he needed to "learn" and much better remembered than a SPANKING which memory is usually "OMG, my parents are doing this? What is WRONG with them," well, my consequences lasted far longer, quite often, and there were times the kid would go "Just spank me." LOL.

Nope, spanking is for the unimaginative. Of course, the kid's IQ is higher than mine, so I had to stay on top of my game.

Anna

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I can't spank the kid, even if I wanted to (I don't). He's pushing 6 foot and started picking me up and laughing at about age 14. He seemed to enjoy himself. LOL. Of course, I didn't spank him even when I could, spanking is such a retro and ineffective way to apply discipline.

My punishments were usually Machiavellian, focusing on some "skill" he needed to "learn" and much better remembered than a SPANKING which memory is usually "OMG, my parents are doing this? What is WRONG with them," well, my consequences lasted far longer, quite often, and there were times the kid would go "Just spank me." LOL.

Nope, spanking is for the unimaginative. Of course, the kid's IQ is higher than mine, so I had to stay on top of my game.

Anna
See, that's where we disagree. You have to be imaginative at the very least to successfully spank a giant.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    My big brother started smoking, and got me started. He quit after a year. I continued for 45 more.
    I don't care what my 37 and 39 yr old kids do, just wish they'd stop coming over looking for large sums of $.
    (Thankfully neither started smoking)

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    That is the function of children... Even grown children... It's those 18 years of having to pay for most things. LOL. They get used to it.

I will freely admit, anytime me and the kid do stuff, I pay for it. To be fair, every time my mom took me out to dinner, she'd pay for it. LOL. Both the finances, and every now and then, the conversation.

Good thing she knows I'm a brat (I know she's a brat). The kiddo can be a brat, usually after I've done something nice for him and he gets tired on the way home, as I mentally calculate what I have spent on him over the years. Most estimates for "raising" a kid come in at around a million dollars (or at least, some study that I read, but am not sure I trust).

I WISH it were a million dollars, but thanks to kiddo's daddy, I had a TON more court costs, therapy bills, and etc. The amount of child support I got came nowhere NEAR covering it, although I will say, I'm glad the kiddo turned out as well as he did.... so I guess I should just be pleased, etc. But yeah.... kids and their needs... LOL. It really is a revolving cycle of prior generations passing down their hard earned accomplishments and money, as the years pass... LOL

Anna

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    We encountered a youngster here last night that wanted to know whether or not he should tell his parents he vapes.

Most of the underage posters we see here want to talk about gear, but my heart went out to this guy. His dad smoked and now vapes, but the son thinks his dad would be against it.

This brought to mind the old "Do as I say, not as I do." adage, and I was wondering if that still holds true with the members here as we try to advance our parenting skills.

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    socialonlinebydesign.com
    As parents, we lead by example.
    I think a lot of kids vape because their parents don't sit them down and have a serious talk about why they vape. My oldest remembers when I used to smoke, and even then I told him that it was bad for me and explained the effects. Now that I vape, I talk to him about that too and how it is better to never start down that path at all. The result is he doesn't want to try smoking, or vaping either for that matter. He knows I'm not perfect and I want him to do far better than I have. Kids are not dumb automatons that just mimic everything they see. They do need a frame of reference though to process what they see.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I hope he didn't get nicotine sick... at that age he can't handle any mg of nic.
    When my mom caught me smoking at 10yrs old, the punishment was to sit me down and make me smoke a pack of non-filter Pall Malls. Only made it to about 3 cigs.
    The thinking was I'd never start smoking after getting so sick.
    Of course that didn't work as 5 years later I started smoking.
    Would probably be considered child abuse today...LOL!

nicotineisbomb

Nov 24, 2017
    When my mom caught me smoking at 10yrs old, the punishment was to sit me down and make me smoke a pack of non-filter Pall Malls. Only made it to about 3 cigs.
    The thinking was I'd never start smoking after getting so sick.
    Of course that didn't work as 5 years later I started smoking.
    Would probably be considered child abuse today...LOL!
    I can smoke a pack of newports easily, although I wouldn't like the after effect for sure...

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I don't have children...what I know is when I was an adolescent the kids who experimented the least were the ones whose parents let us hang at their house. It may be an annoyance to let your home be the go to place for your kids friends, but in the long run the pay off is pretty significant for your children and the friends.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread