Are you worried about the flavorings we inhale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
I know that I've had mild "reactions" to certain flavors and for a while I vape only unflavored nic juice and didn't have a lot of those issues any longer. But I still want to vape flavors, but hearing about the issues with "popcorn lung" and then this at the coffee plant makes me wonder if these flavors are in fact safe to be inhaling. Or perhaps there is no relation between the effects of inhaling these flavorings in food flavoring plants and vaping. Thoughts?

Flavored java, coffee bean workers, and deadly lung disease – The Pump Handle

Popcorn Workers Lung Disease Prevention Act (Diacetyl) | Democrats -Committee on Education and the Workforce, U.S. House of Representatives

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
I think that the flavor ingredients are the big unanswered and unstudied aspect of the safeness of our ejuice.

The studies of PG and VG are pretty clear so far. Mostly harmless and even beneficial to some.

I have not seen one study on what is happening to the flavor ingredients when quickly raised to the temperature of our atomizers. They are safe for baking and cooking, but what our devices do is hotter and more rapid.

I am not "worried" at this point. I have not experienced any adverse effects. Yet.

Studies need to be done

Tapatalking on iPhone.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
Bernie, I agree more studies should be done on the flavor aspects of eliquid. I would also not knowingly vape anything with diacetyl in it but reading these articles with people getting seriously ill inhaling food flavorings that I would assume are engineered to tolerate heat has me curious. I'm not saying I'm going to put down the flavored juice for good but it does make me wonder.

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
I am no more worried about the flavoring we inhale then I am about the polluted air I breathe or the previous things I inhaled from analogs.

Have a great day!

I have no doubt that vaping is healthier than smoking analoges, but if vaping kills me in 10 years what was the point?

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I have no doubt that vaping is healthier than smoking analoges, but if vaping kills me in 10 years what was the point?

There is a list in DIY that tells you what flavors are oil based. If you do a search there is a large thread regarding diacetyl. I'd do the search, but I can't at this moment.

If flavoring is a concern, unflavored isn't bad at all. Some say it has a slight peppery taste. To me, it tastes like a very light cigarette.

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
Honestly, yeah. I'm 25 and only smoked for 10 years. I quit smoking so that I WON'T die at 40 like my father or have health problems due to my nicotine addiction. If any of these flavorings or impurities in PG/VG end up causing lung diseases or other issues after 20+ years of constant use, many of us are STILL screwing ourselves over healthwise.

With that said, even if some flavors were harmful with long-term use, flavoring is really important at first. The fact that an e-cig with a flavor you like tastes so much better than your favorite cigarette makes it much easier to quit. If someone uses both at first, they will end up conditioning themselves to use the e-cig over the cigarette. It's the only reason I've put up with all the fiddling, it's so much better than a smoke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning.

After someone has been vaping a while, then the *safest* course of action would be to vape flavorless. I made some last night and you know what? Compared to some delicious RY4 I've been vaping, it's like a cigarette. Cigarettes don't taste delicious, they taste like carbon monoxide and @$$.

DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion based on what we know at the moment. We all know that flavorings are an unknown. It's not "safe" and it's not "dangerous", we DON'T KNOW. I agree with OP when he says 'what if I end up with health problems in 10 years'. Stillnotsmoking, only YOU can make that choice. It's your health and your life. Do what you think is best for YOU. I just recently decided that I'm not going to setup duel coils on my Igo-W and inhale a ton of vapor as deeply as possible into my lungs. I'm going to make simple juices with minimal flavoring for now. I want to minimize risk, even with vaping. I'm trying to stick around as long as possible for my son, and I'll be damned if anyone belittles me for it. Well, they can try :p

Last edited:

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Since they are safe for consumption then acute toxicity can be ruled out unless there is some sort of chemical change via vaporization. Cooking vaporizes all kinds of things though. Chefs constantly breath vaporized everything food related and I haven't seen anything bad there. Fry cooks breath vaporized oil constantly and there doesn't seem to be a connection there either. But nobody can say for certain.

There are daily vapers going on 4-5 years now and nothing has popped up yet. Long term (20 years) simply can't be fully known yet. WE are the guinea pigs.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The articles focused on diactyl and the butter flavorings at the coffee plant. To generalize this into 'flavorings' or food flavorings is a categorical error that if dispersed by wording titles to threads here which are monitored by people against ecigarettes, will act against ecigarettes and food flavoring in general. The diactyl problem was addressed early on in this industry, much earlier than the food industry - and yeah, still not every vendor knows, which is why one responder here says 'ask' if there is no indication on their site.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
not worried at all....will continue to vape my favorites. The whole "popcorn lung" and "coffee lung" problems were discovered from workers in plants where the workers inhaled MASIVE amounts for 8-12 hours a day 4-6 days a week for YEARS. the small amounts I would get from the flavoring in my vape do not worry me....breathing the smog in So Cal when I spend a week visiting worries me more than my vape....and I happen to enjoy a buttered popcorn vape when watching a movie and it doesnt increase my sodium or blood lipids :)

I have searched for any cases of popcorn lung from consumers that bought and zapped the popcorn thus exposing themselves...I can find none....my vaping exposure would be more like consumers of the popcorn that that of workers in the plants...vape on

Off to fill a tank with coffee and cream and another with buttered popcorn :)

Last edited:

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
not worried at all....will continue to vape my favorites. The whole "popcorn lung" and "coffee lung" problems were discovered from workers in plants where the workers inhaled MASIVE amounts for 8-12 hours a day 4-6 days a week for YEARS. the small amounts I would get from the flavoring in my vape do not worry me....breathing the smog in So Cal when I spend a week visiting worries me more than my vape....and I happen to enjoy a buttered popcorn vape when watching a movie and it doesnt increase my sodium or blood lipids :)

I have searched for any cases of popcorn lung from consumers that bought and zapped the popcorn thus exposing themselves...I can find none....my vaping exposure would be more like consumers of the popcorn that that of workers in the plants...vape on

Off to fill a tank with coffee and cream and another with buttered popcorn :)

I don't know how much diacetyl those workers inhaled, but I'm sure they weren't working in a massive fog of the stuff. Most likely it was fumes. Regardless, the wikipedia page mentions the man who got it from making popcorn (probably every day) for 10 years. That would be a small exposure maybe once a day for 10 years. We vape 12+ hours a day for years.

I agree with environmental toxins being a concern, but it's not like we suck on tailpipes all day either. It's easy to think of something else that is 'worse' (we don't know how good or bad the flavorings are for our health), but you should think about Synergism

A little bit of X toxin can be safe, and a little bit of Y toxin can be safe, but put the two together and their toxicity can increase dramatically. That's why it's not such a great idea to think 'well I inhale car exhaust, outgassing chemicals from new plastic/foam products, little bit of heavy metals and toxic chemicals from those manufacturing plants, massive amounts of heavy metals during fireworks season, sex hormones from tap water/canned foods and drinks, radioactive produce and air (especially in Cali), etc...So big deal if I breath in a few more chemicals!'

It all adds up! I completely respect everyones right to be apathetic though. We can't eliminate all toxins, everything is toxic. So I understand the 'eh it's only one more thing' or 'at least it's better than smoking' mindset. Personally, I feel like this is something I have control over, so I might as well minimize risk. Still going to use a few flavors for now, but single flavors at maybe 5% max.

Oh no..Guys help!...I'm turning into an ANTZ...I'm trying to control my life..ARrrrghhh
image-22.jpg

*Consider this though*
One chemical...one...is the reason why those peoples lungs were permanently damaged. Just my 2 pesos.

Last edited:

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
The articles focused on diactyl and the butter flavorings at the coffee plant. To generalize this into 'flavorings' or food flavorings is a categorical error that if dispersed by wording titles to threads here which are monitored by people against ecigarettes, will act against ecigarettes and food flavoring in general. The diactyl problem was addressed early on in this industry, much earlier than the food industry - and yeah, still not every vendor knows, which is why one responder here says 'ask' if there is no indication on their site.

b-b-but...diacetyl IS a food flavoring...

Obviously an issue with one chemical doesn't mean there will be problems with others, but the food flavoring issue really could be hazardous to our health in the future. Not ALL flavorings of course, but some. The health professionals and scientists already know this, so it's no big deal to talk about it. We need to stop being scared of these Nazis (some of them) and confront our problems head on.

What we really need is a Psyops team consisting of everyone. Winning the hearts and minds of the people is what we need. That's what the big $$ interests have been doing. They're going to get tax money out of us, but we need that to be the only negative thing that happens. We will have an effect on the outcome, if we band together and make it happen. VapeOps? :D

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
ElectricalSocket:b-b-but...diacetyl IS a food flavoring...

Didn't say it wasn't. Only not to generalize into the whole category.

Obviously an issue with one chemical doesn't mean there will be problems with others,

Exactly

but the food flavoring issue really could be hazardous to our health in the future.

"could" but as far as we know now isn't. These scare titles read like something the people who are trying to shut down ecigarette use would use in their headlines. We don't need that right now especially. No coulds, mights, somehow may turn out to be. There is plenty of info on how there aren't long term studies on some of thise stuff, even though PG and VG were cleared over 50 yeras ago and still are.

Not ALL flavorings of course, but some.

Which ones? Other than what we already have noted here.? Be rational, but don't speculate or give ammo of 'coulds' to those who would shut this industry down.

The health professionals and scientists already know this, so it's no big deal to talk about it. We need to stop being scared of these Nazis (some of them) and confront our problems head on.

They came for the Catholics....

What we really need is a Psyops team consisting of everyone. Winning the hearts and minds of the people is what we need. That's what the big $$ interests have been doing. They're going to get tax money out of us,

You're giving them that? You've already lost.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
ElectricalSocket, I see no problem with you deciding to stay away from any flavorings you feel could effect you and I even support your choice to vape unflavored. I just am not worried about the small amounts of popcorn,butter or coffee flavors I chose to vape. I vape maybe 5ml of juice a week that may contain any of those flavors.

I was born and raised in So Cal and the air never bothered me....now that I live in Florida when I visit the smell of the smog almost knocks me over(Not as bad as India however). If I develop any lung/breathing conditions (and it may happen) I would think smoking over a pack a day for 35 years would be the most likely cause not a very small amount of food flavorings I vape in my e-juice. The yummy flavors available are what made it possible to stop smoking...if I HAD only unflavored available I would most likely return to smoking in a very short time period.

I personally try avoid all artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup...I use only real natural sugars because that is something I have concerns about, and that is not an easy road to follow(and yes I realize that the sweetener in e-juice is artificial again a matter of quantity)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread