Are your battery wraps and insulator rings intact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
79RKohOKChSzI9vEIiLMdVY0OFwRFCKO4cd4ERdGYvA.jpg

Just a visual reminder of why wraps and top insulator rings on batteries are so important. Both are extremely important to prevent shorting out your batteries. This photo was posted on Mooch's Facebook. This is why you NEVER use a battery with damaged wrapping, even if you don't have the cash for replacment

Also shows why you should never charge batteries unattended. And why charging on a fire resistant surface is recommended.

The Xtar VC4 is a quality charger, but that fact won't prevent a fire if your battery is in poor shape.

Why Repairing Batteries With Cracked Wraps Is Absolutely Essential
208wfut-e1497354952222.jpg

v1l5y40mh84y.jpg

18650-battery-safety-4.jpg

images
<---- missing insulator ring on positive end

Last edited:

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
79RKohOKChSzI9vEIiLMdVY0OFwRFCKO4cd4ERdGYvA.jpg

Just a visual reminder of why wraps and top insulator rings on batteries are so important. Both are extremely important to prevent shorting out your batteries. This photo was posted on Mooch's Facebook. This is why you NEVER use a battery with damaged wrapping, even if you don't have the cash for replacment

Also shows why you should never charge batteries unattended. And why charging on a fire resistant surface is recommended.

The Xtar VC4 is a quality charger, but that fact won't prevent a fire if your battery is in poor shape.

Why Repairing Batteries With Cracked Wraps Is Absolutely Essential
208wfut-e1497354952222.jpg

v1l5y40mh84y.jpg

18650-battery-safety-4.jpg

images
<---- missing insulator ring on positive end

Thanks for this scary reminder. Just checked my batteries. All good.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I own two kinds of XTAR chargers, VP1s and VP2s. I've always preferred the VP1s because the 18650 cells I use fit in them "just right", i.e. there is practically no side-to-side wiggle room. The VP2s will accept up to a 26650 cell, and thus have lots of side-to-side wiggle room, which bothers me because the positive terminal in the charger has the potential to dead-short the cell if the insulation at the top of the cell is deficient and the cell isn't perfectly centered.

I notice that the bay in which a cell died is one of the "wide" ones. :blink:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I have some on the way from eBay. $4.95 shipped from Brooklyn, NY for 50 precut 18650 wraps with 25 adhesive insulators. Really no reason not to pick some up NOW.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I did that a few weeks ago and any of my wraps that were at all damaged -- even super minuscule - were rewrapped. It was super easy to rewrap.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm surprised these chargers don't have short protection.
Maybe they do, but this one failed.
Of course the best protection is us.
Always check wraps before they go in a charger or mod.
There is nothing you can do with the electrical design of a charger to prevent a battery with deficient insulation near its positive terminal from getting shorted. The only thing that can help prevent this is the physical design of the charger its bays.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yep. Inspect the wraps. Do it on arrival, and then early and often.

Rewrapping IS easy. I should probably get some insulator rings to have on hand though, there is no reason not to, especially at that price. If I threw away every battery that ever got a nick, tear, etc., I would be wasting my money a lot, although I will say my battery handling has greatly improved, thanks to much more attention to how I insert batteries (whether into mod, or charge). I vastly prefer batteries I do not have to "pop out" even with a ribbon. My MVP-5 (first mod) was just unkind to wraps. I ended up retiring it (although it still works). It's beaten up and was a total workhorse, but the battery compartment seemed to be designed to chew through wraps.

Batteries and wraps have my full attention thanks to ECF! I wish there were a way to disseminate that information further, although Mooch certainly appears to be cornering his space in the YouTube market, so hopefully that helps, too.

I kind of shudder, remembering how I used to treat batteries, internal charging, passthrough, batteries, etc.... Until I got here and learned about their importance. LOL.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm surprised these chargers don't have short protection.
Maybe they do, but this one failed.
There is nothing you can do with the electrical design of a charger to prevent a battery with deficient insulation near its positive terminal from getting shorted. The only thing that can help prevent this is the physical design of the charger its bays.
I agree with Rossum. All the quality chargers have short circuit protection. There's no logic behind your comment that this charger's protection failed.

A battery which has a defective or missing insulator ring, or torn wrap near the positive terminal, can short itself despite short circuit protection being present in the charger.

That ring and plastic wrap serve a very important purpose. If missing, the metal "can" containing the electrolyte solution completes the electrical circuit when it touches the charger's electrical contact. This causes the battery to over-discharge causing it to over heat and either vent or go into thermal runaway.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I agree with Rossum. All the quality chargers have short circuit protection. There's no logic behind your comment that this charger's protection failed.
    Yes, sometimes my logic fails me, until I get enough coffee in me.
    The chargers protection wouldn't stop a short, caused by the charger contacts bridging the battery positive/negative due to a torn/missing wrap or insulator.
    Always a good idea to check the wraps/insulators and proper battery placement in the charger before plugging in the charger...:thumb:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    That ring and plastic wrap serve a very important purpose. If missing, the metal "can" containing the electrolyte solution completes the electrical circuit when it touches the charger's electrical contact. This causes the battery to over-discharge causing it to over heat and either vent or go into thermal runaway.
    Yep. Not really any different that what causes a battery to vent or go into thermal runaway when someone puts it in the same pocket as some loose change.

Nick N

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    Batteries all rewrapped, initially tried a hair dryer but it wouldn't get hot enough even on high to get a consistent shrink. Dug out the 'ol heat gun and it worked much better (and faster).

The OEM wraps were somewhat brittle and definitely needed to be replaced. I noticed little tears on the positive side of my batteries after getting the RSQ squonker and it was likely I was trying to remove the battery by using my fingernail to pry it out from the bottom instead without moving or removing the bottle first.

Now that I have 240+ wraps I can afford to remove it however I like. [emoji16]

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread