chunkmeister

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
South Wales
chunkmeister.com
I've had a delivery! :)

Here's a pic - At the bottom is a 1000 ego twist, then a Scarlett 1200 (1300) battery for my daughter Scarlett, and a green 900 battery for Avvy, and my old 900 LF passthru (soon to be retired, as the middle pin is dodgy)

P1010254.jpg

I'll do some testing, and report back :)

Scarlett

Moved On
Jul 15, 2012
Newport
I've had a delivery! :)

Here's a pic - At the bottom is a 1000 ego twist, then a Scarlett 1200 (1300) battery for my daughter Scarlett, and a green 900 battery for Avvy, and my old 900 LF passthru (soon to be retired, as the middle pin is dodgy)

View attachment 117728

I'll do some testing, and report back :)

Thanks dad. :)

chunkmeister

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
South Wales
chunkmeister.com
OK. First inspection. I bought an Amp XL 1200 Red and an Amp XL 900 Green.
(reviews on the 650 to follow when they arrive)

Ok, here's the low down...

P1010255.jpg

Green 900mAh
Length - 108mm
Length with clearo - 168mm
Weight - 38g
Voltage after charge - 4.13v (+0.03v fluctuation while loading)

Red 1300 mAh
Length - 118mm
Length with clearo - 178mm
Weight - 43g
Voltage after charge - 4.13v (+0.01 fluctuation while loading)

- Voltage measured across terminals.

Top marks for packaging - Minimal, but good quality, and informative.

Both batteries have two threads:
An 808 thread:
- for loading carts, clearos and tanks.
A non-standard outer thread:
- this outer thread is neither an ego thread, nor is it a F1/eliq or C8 thread.
- the colour matching cone was bought to go with it - which makes it look much batter than a bare thread.

P1010256.jpg

They do look stunning when attached to the coloured clearos.

P1010258.jpg

The only real minus point I could find with the battery is that it would have been more substantial to have an ego connector - but on the other hand, the battery is far more substantial than the normal 808 cig-likes.

Both batteries have a Mini USB connector concealed in the base.
This is a dual use connection, allowing both charging of the battery and the passthru facility.
This is very much a plus point with this unit.

The 808 thread is a common one, so no shortages of extras you can put on it, and the first one I put on mine was a 808-501 adapter - this is pretty much a must if you decide to use for tanks like, for example, a Vivi Nova.
(most of the nice toys have 501 or, at a push, ego connectors)

The threads are well engineered, both top threads and also the threads on the bottom cap.
The positioning of the draw holes on the top part of the 808 connector are good, and the fitting of a range of carts and clearos is smooth.

The batteries are well balanced (not top or bottom heavy) and of good visual quality - there's no blemishes on either the steelwork or the colour cover. The weights compare well to the ego 900 PT (From Liberty Flights) at 38g, the ego twist 1000 (from Rocky Mountain Vapors) at 41g, a V4L 650 (from V4L) at 30g, and a super mini 650 (From Paradise Vapes UK) at 25g.

The battery has the 5 click safety system, the same as an ego battery, and the operational LED is blue, rather than white, which is more discreet.

Both units are good quality, and the only thing that could have been done to improve them would be to move them over to a standard ego connector. (but as mentioned, not a massive problem.)

As they stand, I'll give them a good, firm 8/10. If it had an ego connector, this would have been a 9/10.

Review of the 650 will follow at a future date.

chunkmeister

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
South Wales
chunkmeister.com
OK, so we've received the two 650mAh batteries. Here's how they come in...

View attachment 118935

Good, lean packaging. Same as the others.

Red 650mAh
Length - 93mm
Length with clearo - 153mm
Weight - 33g
Voltage after charge - 4.14v (+0.01v fluctuation while loading)

Sand 650mAh
Length - 93mm
Length with clearo - 153mm
Weight - 33g
Voltage after charge - 4.13v (+0.02v fluctuation while loading)

Compared side by side with the 900mAh and 1300mAh batteries...

View attachment 118936

Both batteries can be described as the previous two - Well finished, with good quality threads.
(I took a bit of time looking at the threads, possibly needlessly, with a jewelers triplet)

View attachment 118937

They are the longest 650mAh battery i have here, at 93mm, compared with a 650 V4L at 97mm and the Paradise Vapor UK's mini 650mAh at a tiny 71mm. The extra length would be contributed to the passthru circuitry, which is good for a 650mAh capacity (smaller) battery, though my Liberty Flights 900mAh passthru is just a little bigger at 99mm.

Just as the previous batteries, they are well balanced, and their 33g weight compares well to the V4L 650 (from V4L) at 30g, and a super mini 650 (From Paradise Vapes UK) at 25g. Again, the extra weight is due to the built-in passthru and charging circuitry.

The battery has the standard 5 click safety system, the same as an ego battery, and the operational LED is blue, rather than white, which is more discreet.

Both units are good quality, and the only thing that could have been done to improve them would be to move them over to a standard ego connector. (but as mentioned, not a massive problem.)

As they stand, I'll give them a good, firm 8/10. If it had an ego connector, this would have been a 9/10.

Is it the best battery I've used? No.
Is it the best 808 thread battery I've used? Definitely!

minyddol

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Jason Valentine- Aberystwyth
I was going to do a review on the Amp XL from V9 that came in the post yesterday but what a complete review the The Chunkmeister's done.
I had the very sexy chrome model's and love them.I wanted one as soon as i had seen nick show them on the V9 video
as stated in Chunks review this has the 808 thread which was great news because i had loads of accessories still on my shelf from when i went from my v2 with a 808 thread to the ego.

This has got to be the best option for some one looking to upgrade from a starter unit or just wants a very good quality unit with a 808 thread. View attachment 118997

I plan on trying out some of the other options from v9 because the service and quality has been superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread