Status
Not open for further replies.

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
Just received mine today. With either coil that came with it, all I get are 3 red blinking lights which indicates a short or the coil not making connection. I've retried screwing the coil into the base and then the base into the pod a dozen times and still just 3 red blinking lights. I hope it's not a dud, since MFS is out of stock. ANy tips and tricks?

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Just received mine today. With either coil that came with it, all I get are 3 red blinking lights which indicates a short or the coil not making connection. I've retried screwing the coil into the base and then the base into the pod a dozen times and still just 3 red blinking lights. I hope it's not a dud, since MFS is out of stock. ANy tips and tricks?

Have you charged it? Turned completely off and then back on? Those are about the only 2 things I can think of to try.

You can also check to make sure the gold pins that connect to the coil move freely. Only 2 are used... the 2 towards the middle of the mod. The pin on the outside is not connected, so that one shouldn't matter

Reactions: michliu

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I ordered a 5pk or Aspire Spryte 1.2 coils just to test them out. Primarily I'm interested if the wood pulp, thin, final barrier layer that Artery is using on the Pal 2 coils have a tendency to burn quicker than the Aspire which doesn't use wood pulp. I have never seen that type of barrier layer, at least that I'm aware of. I also want to compare flavor difference, although the Pal2 coils already has very good flavor.

The Artery coils are not bad at all, but they are intolerant of even 1 semi dry draw it seems. Which is my problem not the mod or coil. I have self induced 4 coil deaths now (not a big death, just the hint of burnt taste when I don't pay attention and run the juice too low). If I don't do that the Artery coils last well. Unfortunately, with a mod that's a bit harder to monitor the juice level it's just too easy for me to vape past a reasonable juice level and if I get the hint of a burnt taste the coil is done for me. I'm hoping the Aspire coils will be a little more forgiving in this regard because I know I will do it again.

One thing I did note right away is the draw is tighter with the Aspire coil, and that's at wide open airflow. It's still quite nice but since I've got 2 Pal 2s it's easy to A B test and it is clearly tighter. Vapor volume is about the same. OK draw for me though. Just for reference, I've been using the 1.2 Artery coils for the last week for better battery life, so it is an apples to apples comparison in that regard. Flavor seems the same for both. The Spryte coils also take just a hair longer to get up to temp so that you can hear the juice firing off. Not objectionably longer really, but a bit longer.

I'll update the results when I see and more differences or start losing the coil flavor. Especially if if start to get that little bit of burnt taste (which probably means I didn't keep track of my juice level... again) and I'll see how the Aspire fares.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
On the genuine Aspire Spryte coil results, I am now on my 9th refill and nothing in the coil has changed. The flavor and the vapor density seems to be the same. I really thought it would start degrading much sooner, but it is holding up quite well and even though I have more new coils I don't see any reason to change this one.

So the downside is that if you are used to the 0.6 mesh coils and like quicker ramp up and more vapor you might not like the Aspire 1.2 coils. Of course that also means you won't like the Pal 2 1.2 coils either. Just personal preference and how you use the device whether battery longevity and coil life is not an issue for you with the mesh coils.

The upside is that I'm getting a good vape and longer coil life with absolutely no hint of a burnt taste. So for me I'm quite happy with the Aspire coil and will continue to use them going forward. It just makes the Pal 2 a better device for me. YMMV.

I have no idea how long this coil is going to last, but so far it has exceeded my expectations and eliminated the biggest issue for me which is the burnt taste that happens quickly on the Artery coils. My conclusion for the what I expect of a coil is that the Aspire coil is a higher quality coil. I do wish Aspire made a mesh coil to try out though. I don't know if the Artery coil problem is the wood pulp juice barrier, but I suspect that is the case.

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
One small thing I've noticed, for MTL if I close the airflow completely off (all the way to the stop) I get no airflow and no vapor at all. For MTL types I would try closing fully and then open by small amounts until the restriction feels right. You won't see any air hole showing, but the MTL draw will be adjustable to a really good MTL level.
That's what I was looking for! I was sort of let down by the Orions (have three of them), their idea of MTL is a veeery loose MTL, more of a restricted DL for me. I use a 1 mm airflow inserts in my Dvarws, do you think the Artey can get close to that?

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
That's what I was looking for! I was sort of let down by the Orions (have three of them), their idea of MTL is a veeery loose MTL, more of a restricted DL for me. I use a 1 mm airflow inserts in my Dvarws, do you think the Artey can get close to that?

I have never used Dvarws, and had to google it just now to see what it is. But I can tell you the Pal 2 at the furthest closed position with no hole showing at all will not give me any vapor at all. I can hear and feel a slight bit of air, but not enough to make any vapor. It also sucks my cheeks in it's so tight.

I tried this just now, again just to be sure, with a mesh coil I have in one Pal2 and a spryte coil in the other with the same results. So I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a good MTL with this. If you give it a try please let me know how it goes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread