Article about vaping and 18650 in a mainstream media

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My burning question (it has been on my mind ever since I heard the term but I can no longer hold back) throughout this thread is what is flashlight enthusiast? Is this some thing that's recreational or like, competitive, or like people just want to see well in the dark?

Are there people who like, spend a lot of their evening time in the dark, like, dealing with flashlights? Flashlight hiking?

I have never met one.

Anna

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
well i was wondering about why all the faults, accidents and more horrible issues about this could be stopped or at least try to teach users more into battery safety, but not even the big vape companies put more effort making this better, helping users to understand all the minimal care for batteries, charger and also mod itself, user manual is
something 85% people dont read or at lest see with minimal attention.

this is affected by a common issue, not all users like to research by their owns...

Regards,

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My burning question (it has been on my mind ever since I heard the term but I can no longer hold back) throughout this thread is what is flashlight enthusiast? Is this some thing that's recreational or like, competitive, or like people just want to see well in the dark?

Are there people who like, spend a lot of their evening time in the dark, like, dealing with flashlights? Flashlight hiking?

I have never met one.
Many are professionals who depend on their flashlights for their life or job. First responders, security guards, coal miners, park rangers, heating and cooling (furnaces and airconditioner units) come immediately to mind.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

I have never met one.
A nice bright flashlight can be very handy. It wasn't that long ago that you had to have at least three or more C or D cells to get anything that was acceptably bright. Li-ion batteries and white LEDs fixed that. Once I got into 18650 batteries via vaping more than five years ago, I figured I might as well get some flashlights that use the same batteries. However, I would not consider myself a "flashlight enthusiast".

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

I have never met one.

Anna
I be one........

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Many are professionals who depend on their flashlights for their life. First responders, security guards, coal miners, park rangers come immediately to mind.
Exterminators.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before. A few years ago, I had an exterminator at our cabin up in the Blue Ridge mountains. I was walking around with him observing him looking for issues using a flashlight. I mentioned that I wasn't impressed by its brightness. So he says, "Yeah, the battery needs to be charged" whereupon he pulled a bare-naked ("some-fire") 18650 out of his pocket and replaced the one in his flashlight. The flashlight was much brighter after that, but... I gave him a stern talking-to, a dual 18650 case, and one of my older 25R cells. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
well i was wondering about why all the faults, accidents and more horrible issues about this could be stopped or at least try to teach users more into battery safety, but not even the big vape companies put more effort making this better, helping users to understand all the minimal care for batteries, charger and also mod itself, user manual is something 85% people dont read or at lest see with minimal attention.

this is affected by a common issue, not all users like to research by their owns...
Some busier vape shops may not have the time or resources available for decent education on battery safety. I was alotted a certain time to spend with a customer. If it didn't appear that they were going to purchase something, I was to "move on" to the next. I did get the store manager to print up a little card that had safe battery practices on them that we could hand out, but my guess is most customers didn't bother reading them.

I thought it would be cool if an educational tape or disc ran continuously on a loop in the store that might grab customers' attention, but that idea never materialized.

As far as ECF goes, I usually direct new users to Battery Mooch's episode one Minding Your MaH's on his You Tube channel. Hopefully that puts a healthy dose of respect for the power that is in a battery and stimulates them to learn more.

Last edited:

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London

I have never met one.

Anna

Oh you've met them. You just haven't seen them. ;)

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Some busier vape shops may not have the time or resources available for decent education on battery safety. I was alotted a certain time to spend with a customer. If it didn't appear that they were going to purchase something, I was to "move on" to the next. I did get the store manager to print up a little card that had safe battery practices on them that we could hand out, but my guess is most customers didn't bother reading them.
totally in the ponit, and if store is operated with not that much workers is even more difficult to bring the enough time and advises to all people there, for example one of my dudes own and runs alone his vapeshop, he is pretty kind with new and all time customers, brings complete information and advises wisely, but is to hard to come there and dont see store with at least 4 people inside, he likes to group talk with customers about battery safety, he is good standing in front of people and talking, so i totally understand the point of the ease of information access, battery safety and all the needs, the idea about the video tape runing continusly is amazing, well done on that, but lets be fair, 1 out 10 will be paying attention to the banner / tape, you will have to adivse people that is great to "enjoy" the video on background or something like that, we all are lazy in certain ways.

As far as ECF goes, I usually direct new users to Battery Mooch's episode one Minding Your MaH's on his You Tube channel. Hopefully that puts a healthy dose of respect for the power that is in a battery and stimulates them to learn more.
Mooch info is something people should know a bit more and get into, since is simple information that could be useful for newbies and also advanced users and enthusiasts, so is always in my recommendations to check mooch battery info and so!

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
When giant multinational media reports it, ask yourself who is interested in the particular spin. If vaping is tightly regulated, we'll be pushed to chose between expensive throwaway cigalikes and mech mods. I'm not impressed by that NBC news article.

Toward the day when nanny government will take away my eLeaf and all other safe, chip regulated vaping devices, I stockpiled the plastic bolt mod, which uses one 18650 battery and is vented. I would never use anything requiring stacked batteries. That's what blew that guy's face off in Florida, the famous "ecigarettes are dangerous" poster child who made his own unventilated stacked battery mod, which is something like a pipe bomb in actual comparison.

Remember, cell phones explode and start fires all the time, begging a statistical comparison. So do laptops. Nobody is screaming to get them off the market In fact, chip regulated vaping devices have exploded and started fires. There are safe and unsafe ways to do everything. Every vaping device needs to come with instructions, unfortunately, to say that you don't let your vape flop around the car seat or bang against your keys and coins in your pocket, that you don't leave it turned on when it is put away in a purse or pocket.

Sometimes it feels like swimming against the tide to address concerns that are fueled by an ignorant press pandering to the zealots whose voices are louder than those of us who just want to keep practicing a safe smoking cessation method that has worked for us for years.

Cigarettes have burned down houses and forests. I wish nuclear power plants would get the same continuous public scrutiny that vaping does. Should we ban cars because people get killed in them all the time?

Keep your eye on the prize. Vaping saves lives. My dad and my uncle died of emphysema. I was on my way there, to a slow death attached to an oxygen tank, until my good friends, who were a year from their last cigarettes, put me onto vaping. Now those friends are nearly 8 years past their last cigarette, and I'm near the completion of my seventh year.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Cigarettes have burned down houses..
    I remember a post here several years ago with a link to a newspaper article where some fire agency somewhere said that trailer park homestead fires had decreased and the number of 'smokers turned into vapers' had increased.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I remember a post here several years ago with a link to a newspaper article where some fire agency somewhere said that trailer park homestead fires had decreased and the number of 'smokers turned into vapers' had increased.
    Yep, there's zero doubt in my mind that vaping is much less of a fire hazard than smoking was.

The fire-hazard reduction is likely likely comparable to the health-harm reduction, if not greater.

Everyone has li-ion battery powered devices around now. Cell phones, tablets, laptops, power tools, vacuum cleaners, etc. Has there been a noticeable up-tick in residential fires since these arrived on the scene? I expect if there had, the insurance companies would be raising a red flag about it.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    I wish nuclear power plants would get the same continuous public scrutiny that vaping does. Should we ban cars because people get killed in them all the time?
    Very few people would want to ban cars, but an overwhelming majority thinks it’s ok that everything car related is tightly regulated by the government. Same with nuclear power plants (except that quite a few people don’t want them at all). So maybe these aren’t the best analogies ;)

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Very few people would want to ban cars, but an overwhelming majority thinks it’s ok that everything car related is tightly regulated by the government. Same with nuclear power plants (except that quite a few people don’t want them at all). So maybe these aren’t the best analogies ;)
    Yes, I see you're in Switzerland. You make my point. Regulate cars all you want, and people will still get killed in them. Regulate nuclear power plants all you want, and there still will be nuclear accidents with global implications. You can never eliminate the dumbass factor. I don't want to live in a nanny governed padded playpen world.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    Yes, I see you're in Switzerland. You make my point. Regulate cars all you want, and people will still get killed in them. Regulate nuclear power plants all you want, and there still will be nuclear accidents with global implications. You can never eliminate the dumbass factor. I don't want to live in a nanny governed padded playpen world.
    I agree that more freedom = better, but there's a big difference between a vaping device, that in the worst case could explode and injure or kill you and maybe even a bystander, or driving a car on public roads where you could potentially injure or kill dozens of people because of one single act of negligence or ignorance. Or producing thousands of cars that could explode because of a design flaw. These are instances where I'm glad that there are government officials overseeing certain things.
    As a general principle, less government is certainly better, however 'the government' (our elected representatives) should keep us safe, especially where individual citizens are powerless (ie against big corporations). And these two examples (cars, nuclear power plants) are things where the government should (and does) work for us (regulating), I see no problem with that. Even if that means that I have to pass a driver's test.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Yep i have tried that also, nobody will take them, got told the same thing, trash em. I have also been told that with my Insulin pens and needles, which I refuse to do. Now have a large box at home with empty pens the needles i take to the Doctors surgery and while in the consulting room waiting, I slip those in to the 'sharps box'.

If there's a Batteries and Bulbs store in your town they will take old lithium batteries. The one in our town has a display for lithium cell disposal. Just tape up the positive pole and toss it in.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

I have never met one.

Anna

There's several flashlight forum boards on the internet. Sometimes, they have brightness challenges where those who compete shine their lights on a white wall and the members judge who has the brightest beam. :)

They are surprisingly cheap and well made at the same time. Everyone should have a T6 flashlight in the house and the car.
    cree xml t6 flashlight | eBay

I have half a dozen Cree T6 LED flashlights around the house. Those are about 1000 lumens and will light up my backyard with bright white light. The brightest ones are in the 5000 lumen range.

The Flashlight Forum | A flashlight forum and community - Index

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    There's several flashlight forum boards on the internet. Sometimes, they have brightness challenges where those who compete shine their lights on a white wall and the members judge who has the brightest beam. :)

They are surprisingly cheap and well made at the same time. Everyone should have a T6 flashlight in the house and the car.
    cree xml t6 flashlight | eBay

I have half a dozen Cree T6 LED flashlights around the house. Those are about 1000 lumens and will light up my backyard with bright white light. The brightest ones are in the 5000 lumen range.

The Flashlight Forum | A flashlight forum and community - Index
    So what I'm hearing is a Li-ion round cell challenge. Can the fog block the beam...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread