Not open for further replies.

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
Hey guys,

Finally got my order of custom made batteries in. These are Ultrafire 10440 3.6v 500mAh(over rated) protected cells. Sorry to say they do not fit inside the laser mod, the width is fine but the added length from the protection circuit is a no go. I don't have a Janty stick so I don't know if they will fit in there either. I think a custom sized laser shell is in order to handle these batteries.

I am going to run these through and see how they perform. I will let ya know....

Cisco...

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
Hey guys,

Finally got my order of custom made batteries in. These are Ultrafire 10440 3.6v 500mAh(over rated) protected cells. Sorry to say they do not fit inside the laser mod, the width is fine but the added length from the protection circuit is a no go. I don't have a Janty stick so I don't know if they will fit in there either. I think a custom sized laser shell is in order to handle these batteries.

I am going to run these through and see how they perform. I will let ya know....

Cisco...
How exactly did you do this? Order them direct from Ultrafire?

--Dave

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
How exactly did you do this? Order them direct from Ultrafire?

--Dave

Yes and no,

Minimum order quantity on a custom made protection PCB is 500pcs, I found a way around that MOQ and the custom protection PCB charge and got them to produce a "Sample" order.

Cisco...

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
Are we the only ones concerned about Protected 10440s? I think that it's odd that they arent' made....

Bummer that they don't fit the laser mod - and that I don't have your lathe.. :)
Lighthounds (DIY flashlight/laser hobbyists) are the only others who are likely to be doing odd things with Li-Ion's, and they don't use AAA sized much (they tend to go for CR2 or CR123, if they go 10mm it's all the way down to 10180 or 10280).

Cisco: Any tips you could give me for getting protected 18350's made would be appreciated, I'm looking at making 20+ by hand and not liking the idea of doing any larger number the same way. Even if it costs me twice as much per cell ($8 or so) it would be worth it not to have to fiddle with it once I'm needing them a hundred or more at a time.

--Dave

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
The problem is the hole for the switch cannot be moved so the PCB needs to be inline with the hole and leaves no extra room the cell. If you drill a new hole and shorten the PCB it would work, you only need an extra 2.4mm (3/32) to fit the battery. You could then use the existing hole for an LED...:)

I will see If I have time tonight to re-mod and see if it works, I will post the findings.

Cisco...
Between cutting down the PCB and trimming down the spring, wouldn't you have enough room, Cisco?

You can cut the cowling/extension off a 510 connector to shorten it up to 901 length.

The battery doesn't look that much longer than a regular 10440. Methinks we have the technology to make it work, IDK...what say ye??

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
Any updates Cisco ?

How about if you remove most of the spring and only leave a few coils? That should work for a few mm, don't you think?

Or is there a better device to mod this new and improved battery with ?

I am working on a solution as I speak. The problem is the switch on the PCB needs to be inline with the hole in the shell, so moving the pcb is not an option unless I drill a new hole and use the old one for an led. I tried to bore out the end cap, I can get almost an extra 1mm out of it. There needs to be enough room so the battery doesn't put to much pressure on the switch and cause the button to get sticky.

Cisco...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread