ASH Claims Vaping in Public Will Cause Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoType

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
New Jersey
I just read that they believe that any of us vaporers vaping in public will cause all the families around us to become addicted to nicotine.... And it's deadly!

4dangers

And I thought I'd add this one below too.

Can you become addicted to nicotine from second-hand smoking? - Yahoo! Answers

So sad .... It seems like ASH really has nothing to do but stir up BS. I mean third hand smoke has no science behind it and smoker's breath .... I mean come on.

What's next? A smoker's fart? Maybe smoker's sex too? :confused:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
The trouble with ASH is that fighting against smokers is the way they make a living and the very last thing they want is for smokers to find an acceptable alternative to smoking and then suddenly finding that their contributions are drying up because smoking isn't such an issue for the anti-smokers any more so they are pulling out all the stops to try and make vaping sound like it's bad.
I was thinking its because they don't like the feeling of having 'lost' the battle against smokers if smokers have found an alternative but the more I think about it, it's probably more about being scared of loosing their income.

Last edited:

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
The trouble with ASH is that fighting against smokers is the way they make a living and the very last thing they want is for smokers to find an acceptable alternative to smoking and then suddenly finding that their contributions are drying up because smoking isn't such an issue for the anti-smokers any more so they are pulling out all the stops to try and make vaping sound like it's bad.

I think you summed it up pretty well, right there. :D

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
It doesn’t burn tobacco, but it does allow smokers to inhale – and to exhale into the air around them

Oh noes, smokers being able to breathe.. We can't have that, now can we? ;)

How can anyone possibly take ASH seriously, just scanning through their articles reminds me of reading from the onion. They barely put any work into their site and expect people to take them seriously. I wonder how the hell they progressed as far as they have.

Last edited:

ProtoType

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
New Jersey
Oh noes, smokers being able to breathe.. We can't have that, now can we? ;)

How can anyone possibly take ASH seriously, just scanning through their articles reminds me of reading from the onion. They barely put any work into their site and expect people to take them seriously. I wonder how the hell they progressed as far as they have.

You know that is my thoughts exactly. Had I not heard so much about them on this forum and accidentally stumbled across their website, I would of thought it was some amateur kid or group of kids having fun on the internet posting garbage.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I was thinking its because they don't like the feeling of having 'lost' the battle against smokers if smokers have found an alternative but the more I think about it, it's probably more about being scared of loosing their income.

Agree with you and +1 to Bizzy's statement.

THIS is the real agenda of ASH. Keep their jobs. What ever would they do if they did not have smokers to attack? It's a shame that they are so hateful and don't actually focus on the real devastation of smoking and helping adults FIND products like the ecigs over smoking tobacco.

But... also... remember that they make things up, as the OP has originally posted as there is NO PROOF that nicotine is in the vapor and studies have proven this... AND they have no scientific studies to link to in any of their Press Releases. They link to other Press Releases they have put out.

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin

This is a very good summation of the motives for collusion between the FDA, anti smoking organizations, big pharma, big tobacco to discredit the products. All this at the cost of the lives and well being of those seeking a safer alternative to smoking. How do these people sleep at night??

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Exactly. A key question to ask:

Who profits?

Exactly ...when you really think about it, all the anti-smoking groups have a vested interest in people 'not' giving up smoking, their livelihoods depend on it....the last thing any of them could ever have imagined or wanted is for smokers to have an alternative. It's no wonder they are not supporting e-cigs. Everything always comes down to money in one way or another and not some deep emotional concern about other peoples health.

Hey how about we dont continue to spread his name or website around, after all we are helping him by doing so. I mean the last thing a supermarket woudl do is blab about another marketplace aall over the place and get people to see what they are saying. It is just an idea. less mention of ASH and links to his site means less hit to his site and less google and yahoo searches finding it

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Check out the funding to ASH from Pfizer at: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-news/32488-ash-funding-pfizer.html

Some other beneficiaries:

ASH - $100,000 (2nd quarter) for smoking issues.

American Lung Association - $1,550,000 (2nd quarter) for cessation.

American Legacy Foundation - $260,000 (1st quarter) smoking issues.

Loads more of these in the statement of Pfizer donations and grants. Pfizer makes Chantix.

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
Check out the funding to ASH from Pfizer at: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-news/32488-ash-funding-pfizer.html

Some other beneficiaries:

ASH - $100,000 (2nd quarter) for smoking issues.

American Lung Association - $1,550,000 (2nd quarter) for cessation.

American Legacy Foundation - $260,000 (1st quarter) smoking issues.

Loads more of these in the statement of Pfizer donations and grants. Pfizer makes Chantix.

Pfizer not only makes Chantix but the Nictrol inhaler which ecigs compete directly against. I am so disheartened..... Now it seems reason behind the ALA an ALFs assertion that there are safe and proven methods when all of Pfizer's methods have proven to do nothing but FAIL!!~!

Last edited:

Symmetric

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Dallas, GA, USA
Hey how about we dont continue to spread his name or website around, after all we are helping him by doing so. I mean the last thing a supermarket woudl do is blab about another marketplace aall over the place and get people to see what they are saying. It is just an idea. less mention of ASH and links to his site means less hit to his site and less google and yahoo searches finding it

Unfortunately, I'm afraid ASH is a major player in this game, if we just pretend they don't exist, it will be to our detriment, not theirs.

STILLSMOK9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Esoteric State of America
I just read that they believe that any of us vaporers vaping in public will cause all the families around us to become addicted to nicotine.... And it's deadly!

4dangers

And I thought I'd add this one below too.

Can you become addicted to nicotine from second-hand smoking? - Yahoo! Answers

So sad .... It seems like ASH really has nothing to do but stir up BS. I mean third hand smoke has no science behind it and smoker's breath .... I mean come on.

What's next? A smoker's fart? Maybe smoker's sex too? :confused:
"We are F....D"

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Sorry, but I think this is the wrong road we're traveling down. E-smoking missed a golden opportunity to appeal to health organizations like ASH on the grounds that e-smoking has got to be a lot healthier than sucking in tobacco smoke. Opportunity lost. We were too busy talking to each other to talk with people in power.

Now every e-smoker calls ASH every ugly name possible and says/implies that ulterior -- monetary -- motives are behind the campaign against e-cigs. We don't know that. But wear their shoes for a minute -- you call me out and you won't win me over; I'll throw everything I can at you. That's human nature. We have made a serious, powerful enemy with ASH.

Motive? I think ASH likes trophy kills. Pure and simple. Put another notch on the ASH gun. Note how proudly the Paypal thing is held up. "We killed using Paypal for ordering e-cigs." That's a trophy on the ASH wall. That will bring in even more donations.

The ASH leader will never side with smokers. So what? We're not smokers. He should have been on our side. We are the very best way to become a former smoker. To realize potential health benefits. But forget that now. Our goose is cooked with ASH and others. For a litany of how not to market a promising new product, just check future Wikipedia definitions of "electronic cigarettes."

ASH's egotistical leader wants a long obituary someday, noting the laws he pushed for. We're no threat to him. We're a target, and, yep, we've ...... him off now.

He is not to be dismissed lightly!

Last edited:

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
So Bob what would you suggest? I visited their website and I do not think a thing that anyone could do would convice ASH of anything. They seem to hold the Quit or Die stance and if you die, you deserve it. It is so sad that our governemnt gives tax exempt status to an organization that seems so blindly determined to kill a good portion of the population.

There are a lot of things on the board IMHO that hurts us more than helps us unfortunately.

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
If the e-cig missed opportunities to curry favor with "acceptable" groups and have by their mere existence initiated the wrath of organizations against the product...I suppose that means what....? Hindsight is easy, predicting and planning for the future...a tad more difficult. ASH already had their machinations in place to fight against "simulated" smoking they merely had to dust it off and change a few words.

Anyone thinking that ASH (or any other alphabet group) would have been onboard for the e-cig has sorely misunderstood what their goal was in the first place. The goal was to eliminate smoking from public view and to foster an atmosphere where smoking was considered abnormal versus common-place. The e-cig interferes with this goal.

I'm just saying...;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I would suggest ECA and manufacturers should be hard at work on the next generation of electronic cigarette products, ones that are tested and approved for marketing. I see no easy end run around regulation.

If this were a criminal trial, a good lawyer would advise a rushed plea bargain at this late time. Facing the death sentence, life in prison seems preferable.

We can only hope that the legal brains behind Njoy and SE will present a compromised settlement proposal on Monday, one that allows a promising technology to continue to evolve while meeting timelined requirements for full regulation.

Would the FDA accept such an agreement? We don't know. But the agency has spelled out the end game scenario if regulations are NOT met.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread