"Ask the Doctor" section in my local news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
lubbockonline .com /health /2013-03-20/ dr-roach-exercise-wont-help-sagging-neck-skin# .UUuUKFeRcSY

Hopefully I broke that correctly. The second Q&A on that page appeared in my local paper today. A woman asked about her husband's electronic cigarette habit and COPD. It did say that it was safer than smoking cigarettes, but the reply also mentioned that e-cigarettes increase carbon monoxide levels in the blood. Does that have any truth to it? I don't understand how they would raise CO levels. They don't emit any CO. It makes no sense to me, unless there is some sort of slight increase I am not understanding since I am not a chemist or doctor. He also mentions a decrease in lung function which I am assuming comes from that hokey air resistance study and basically means nothing. He also, of course, parrots the whole "but he is using it for addiction" thing. I realize it's the equivalent of Dear Abby, but it's the first time I have seen PV's mentioned in my paper at all.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
It has to be copied and pasted, Fay. The spaces have to be taken out and www. needs to go in front of it. This is the paragraph that mentions CO -

"The health effect of e-cigarettes is debated, but I think it is clear that they are safer than regular cigarettes — but not safe. They do increase carbon monoxide levels in the blood, which is bad for people with COPD. They also cause lung function to deteriorate, at least a little, in the short term. Very little is known about long-term use."

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I left a comment:

E-cigarettes do not increase carbon monoxide levels. This fact has been verified in more than one study. For example: Vansickel AR, Cobb CO, Weaver MF, Eissenberg TE. A clinical laboratory model for evaluating the acute effects of electronic "cigarettes": nicotine delivery profile and cardiovascular and subjective effects. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Aug;19(8):1945-53. Epub 2010 Jul 20.

One of the most recent studies showed no impairment of lung function with exposure to either active or passive vapor. Flouris AD, Chorti MS, Poulianiti K, Jamurtas A, Kostikas K, Tzatzarakis M, Wallave Hayes A, Tsatsakis A, Koutedakis Y: Acute impact of active and passive electronic cigarette smoking on serum cotinine and lung function. Inhal Toxicol. 2013, 25:91-101.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It is impossible for e-cigarettes to generate carbon monoxide as that is a function of combustion.

Lung function can be impaired temporarily if you inhale directly to the lungs, causing a reaction. This is much the same as inhaling a medical treatment such as a balsam in steam, or entering a hot, steamy sauna. No one has ever suggested that use of a sauna permanently affects the lungs; obviously, the effect is purely temporary.

However, only incorrectly advised or ecig-naive e-cigarette users would inhale directly to the lungs - instead, users draw the vapor into the mouth first. Inhaling after this first stage causes no reaction, thus there is no impairment. However, unadvised new users, especially those deliberately isolated from correct advice on how to use an e-cigarette, taking part in clinical trials that are deliberately trying to create a false result, may well inhale directly to the lungs.

This is called rigging a clinical trial; there are many ways of doing it, and the best ways to rig a trial take place before the trial itself, so that they do not need to be included in the study's write-up. That way, you can rig the trial and not only will no one know, but there is no rule that says you have to include pre-trial 'arrangements' in the study report. Such pre-trial rigging methods include:

- Drug washouts
- Placebo washouts
- Group deselections
- Individual deselections
- Not telling a new e-cigarette user that it isn't used like a tobacco cigarette
- Not telling a new user that they should draw vapor into the mouth first, then inhale
- Not telling a new user they should not inhale directly into the lungs

Lots of clever ways to rig the result of a clinical trial that don't need to be included in the write-up :)

ARMorgue

Dec 29, 2012
NEW JERSEY
lubbockonline .com /health /2013-03-20/ dr-roach-exercise-wont-help-sagging-neck-skin# .UUuUKFeRcSY

Hopefully I broke that correctly. The second Q&A on that page appeared in my local paper today. A woman asked about her husband's electronic cigarette habit and COPD. It did say that it was safer than smoking cigarettes, but the reply also mentioned that e-cigarettes increase carbon monoxide levels in the blood. Does that have any truth to it? I don't understand how they would raise CO levels. They don't emit any CO. It makes no sense to me, unless there is some sort of slight increase I am not understanding since I am not a chemist or doctor. He also mentions a decrease in lung function which I am assuming comes from that hokey air resistance study and basically means nothing. He also, of course, parrots the whole "but he is using it for addiction" thing. I realize it's the equivalent of Dear Abby, but it's the first time I have seen PV's mentioned in my paper at all.

I'm from Bayonne,NJ and the article also came out in our local Jersey Journal page 21 on 3/23/13.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
I'd guess that the best policy for anyone with COPD would be to avoid inhaling anything other than air if at all possible ..

And, just out of curiosity, if you hit a too dry carto and it does burn filament, would that produce carbon monoxide .. ??

1. But some people with COPD use breathing treatments/inhalers/nebulizers, all of which would have PG in them anyway.

2. Yes, I think all combustion does. But I'm not an authority on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread