Aspire Evo75-Fluid burns but not the actual coil...need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

talontsiawd

Sep 22, 2011
Bay Area
I bought an Aspire Evo75 at the advice of my local vape shop. I have used older style 510 pens with atomizers and then clearomizers later on, but before these non DIY mods were common. I have never had any issues with the 510 stuff, other than some quality issues from time to time.

With my Aspire Evo75, I have used both the .5 ohm Aspire Atlantis Evo coils, and tried .5 ohm Aspire Atlantis (non Evo) coils because I don't really need that much wattage to be satisfied. I only use the non Evo coils in the extended tank so even though they probably wouldn't work in the short tank, they work great in the small tank.

The issue I have been having is the fluid seems to burn after approximately 12 hours or so, maybe a bit more. The coil does not seem to be burnt, and doesn't taste burnt (I know what that tastes like), it's much more subtle and I can see the fluid go from virtually clear, to either a light brown, or if I keep using it, a dark brown. If I drain the tank, and just replace the fluid, I still get the same results. The taste just gets worse, it doesn't actually taste burnt, it almost tastes more like the fluid is getting caramelized. For example, I use a strawberry lemonade flavor that is pretty crisp and tart, but once it starts to burn, it tastes sugary at first, then starts to have a burnt taste. The flavor will eventually just not taste good, not really a burnt taste, but kind of, just a worst taste and the coil seems clogged.

After I use a coil, I clean it and it looks brand new. I really don't think I am burning the coil, the cotton is totally white and looks almost like it is new, just slightly "looser" and the coil is still shiny and clean.

The fluid I use is from a local place called Tasty Vapor in Oakland. I have yet to try other fluid so far as I try to shop locally. I do know it is sweetened and I can buy it unsweetened as well. I have used both 50% VG and 70% VG, I like the second better, both have the same results. I understand that the higher VG and sweetener can shorten the life of a coil, but this seems much shorter than the 1-3 weeks I am seeing online.

This may totally be a fluid issue but I have researched and having found my answer. I am going to try 50% VG, unless even less would be optimal, and have it made with no sweetener. I will probably try some other fluids too, this is just so close to my home.

That said, could this simply be a fluid problem, or am I doing something wrong? I prime the coil, take some dry hits, and often wait up to 1 hour before using, after I fill the tank. Basically have followed all the typical advice I get. All that does is allow me to up the voltage more quickly without burning the fluid, I really didn't get burn coils before, but I would let them sit in the tank for awhile before I did this process.

Lastly, I did not notice any substantial difference from 50% VG to 70%. I also didn't notice any positive results when I reduced the nicotine down from 6 to 3. I am thinking either the juice in general is an issue, or the sweetener. I am going to buy non sweetened juice, probably tomorrow, but it doesn't sound that a coil should only last a day. The coils I can, that look new work find, but they aren't quite as good to start as a brand new one. The fluid burns more quickly, and they they basically are the same. I use rubbing alcohol and a rinse with very hot water, followed by a day or two of drying.

Any help would be appreciated, when my mod works, it works great, but only about 6 hours is it really nice. 12 hours is fine, then it gets bad. If something is wrong, I could substantially lower the cost and energy it takes to do this, which is a big perk as someone who has almost entirely quit smoking in a short period of time. Lastly, I use fluid from the same place in lower voltage devices (clearomizers I bought for a 510 battery) with no issue.

Reactions: stols001

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
it certainly does sound like the juice is gunking up the coil and creating the funky flavor. what wattage are you running at? i know the original atlantis could cook the juice faster when run at higher wattages, i sadly dont have an evo, just the v1 atlantis. if you are running at the higher end of the recommended range of these coils you may simply need to lower the watts and adjust the airflow to get a similar experience.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It sounds like sweeteners and other things gunking up your coil without actually burning. You may want to lower wattages, and maybe also try some less sweet, clear and lighter juices (maybe citruses that aren't oversweetened, or any other flavors you think you may enjoy. Trying higher PG MIGHT help too, it carries flavor with less "gunk" than VG.

Anna

talontsiawd

Sep 22, 2011
Bay Area
I have been doing some experimenting since this thread since the place I have been getting my juice at can customize it to my liking. I found with 1/3 of the sweetener added, and going to 50% VG, I stopped having this problem, but I simply did not enjoy using it. The taste was so mellow that I actually used almost 2x as much juice per day, without enjoying it as much. I am now back to 70% VG, with 1/2 the sweetener. It seems to work much better, but I get a slight burning of the juice. I don't even know if burnt is the right word, it's more caramelized, both in look and taste, but I will just use the word burnt because I don't know.

This does happen at higher wattage, but still lower than the advertised wattage for my coils. My coils say 35-40 watts but I find over 25 watts, I burn the regular juice I was using very easily. I can be at that wattage or higher for some time, but not regularly. With the lower levels of sweetener, I still am staying under 35 watts, typically under 30 watts, but I am not getting burnt juice.

I also tried only using a lighter juice, with full sweetener and though that will burn, it doesn't burn as easily as another flavor. Luckily, it also tastes better to me with less than the full sweetener.

I thank you both a lot because many talk about burning the actual coils but I wasn't, they would be brand new looking after cleaning, and work almost as well as new, nobody was talking about burning the actual juice that I could find. On the contrary, I hope I don't have to find a new place to get juice because the place I go is very close, very friendly, something I would enjoy using. However, is there a juice anyone recommends trying that may be more challenging to burn? I typically like something citrus anyway so those are typically very clear and not necessarily sweet, depending.

talontsiawd

Sep 22, 2011
Bay Area
So, a bit of an update if anyone is interested, or having the same problems. I was able to get more life out of my coils by doing what I stated above, but still thought it was odd I couldn't just use it as is. I think I was still theoretically having the same issue, but by trying new things, I was opening up the top cap piece.

I found a similar Aspire tank is notorious for vapor lock, something I didn't know about as I am totally new to sub ohm vaping. I started getting the same problem when I tried regular fluid and found every time I got a burn taste/dry hit, if I opened the top, air bubbles would poor out. I did notice this before, I just didn't know why. I learned I had the top piece too tight, which it doesn't say to keep it fairly loose, but even then, I still get it from time to time. I am playing around but the second I get any burnt taste, if I unscrew the cap, bubbles come out of the coil and everything is fine again.

Even if I have the cap uncomfortably loose, it still can have this issue. I don't know if a new tank is in my future or not but I have so many coils because I was initially told they only lasted a day so I cleaned them (and as said, like new after), so I am not exactly excited when I have 27 coils in great condition.

Anyway, it seems like another issue, still figuring it out, but I don't want people to think that my last post is the end all on this mod/tank. For some reason, 30% VG wasn't bothered by this, but I also didn't like the vape at all. At home, I just unscrew the cap a lot but I still don't like that idea, we will see where this goes.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
So, a bit of an update if anyone is interested, or having the same problems. I was able to get more life out of my coils by doing what I stated above, but still thought it was odd I couldn't just use it as is. I think I was still theoretically having the same issue, but by trying new things, I was opening up the top cap piece.

I found a similar Aspire tank is notorious for vapor lock, something I didn't know about as I am totally new to sub ohm vaping. I started getting the same problem when I tried regular fluid and found every time I got a burn taste/dry hit, if I opened the top, air bubbles would poor out. I did notice this before, I just didn't know why. I learned I had the top piece too tight, which it doesn't say to keep it fairly loose, but even then, I still get it from time to time. I am playing around but the second I get any burnt taste, if I unscrew the cap, bubbles come out of the coil and everything is fine again.

Even if I have the cap uncomfortably loose, it still can have this issue. I don't know if a new tank is in my future or not but I have so many coils because I was initially told they only lasted a day so I cleaned them (and as said, like new after), so I am not exactly excited when I have 27 coils in great condition.

Anyway, it seems like another issue, still figuring it out, but I don't want people to think that my last post is the end all on this mod/tank. For some reason, 30% VG wasn't bothered by this, but I also didn't like the vape at all. At home, I just unscrew the cap a lot but I still don't like that idea, we will see where this goes.
This part sounds like the higher vg is not wicking quickly enough. When you see air bubbles, that usually means that the juice is being sucked into the atomizer. And that is what you want to happen. The air bubbles are a sign that the atomizer is working as it should. With higher vg you need to give it time for the juice to catch up with your vaping and doing several back to back hits you may not be giving it enough time for the juice to get there before hitting the fire button again.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread