hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The subject of today’s review is the Aspire Mixx mod which was sent to me by Sourcemore for the purpose of providing this review. I’ve only started to get into SBS (side by side) mods over the last few months and have three or four. The Mixx has quickly become one of my favorites. The shape and hand feel remind me of the Aspire Boxx which I very much like. The Mixx can be used with most tanks up to 24mm in diameter and a height of at least 30mm is desirable so that the drip tip extends past the top of the mod. As far as operations, it only does VV, VW, and Bypass which honestly will be fine for most vapers. I know there are some out there that still use temperature control but it seems to me like that number is dwindling over time. The Mixx is a really nice unit and is CNC machined which takes 30 minutes per unit to make.

ixqfhp3.jpg

FzyAOoE.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1 x MIXX Mod

1 x 18350 Battery Metal Sleeve

2 x Spare Fixing Screw (For 18350 Battery)

1 x User Manual

upload_2021-10-23_9-30-35.png

SPECIFICATIONS:

Battery Single 18350/18650(Not Included)

Output Wattage 1-60W

Resistance Range 0.1-3.5Ω

Output Mode VW, VV and Bypass

Color Tuxedo, Quick Silver, Jet Black, Amethyst, Sapphire, Orchid, Toffee, Clear Frosted, Smoke Frosted, Yellow Frosted

m79fGW6.jpg

FEATURES:

1. Made of full metal with CNC process
    2. Designed by Sunbox, made by Aspire
    3. Single 18650/18350 battery with 60W max output
    4. 3 output modes available: VW, VV and Bypass

0qv2Yoe.jpg

y0LuLTn.jpg

gNagB9S.jpg

W8jbAe8.jpg

i3aynWy.jpg

eG1S8ff.jpg

0YX6Eab.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Mixx is what I would consider somewhat nice and reminded me of the packaging on the Boxx. The color picture on the front outer sleeve shows the tuxedo version but I received the quicksilver edition. I don’t know if the outer cover shows the same picture no matter what color you order but mine did not match.

The back side of the package shows the contents of the kit and contains a warning and the address for the parent company.

upload_2021-10-23_9-37-13.png

upload_2021-10-23_9-37-31.png

Once the outer sleeve is removed, you see the mod with a black paper around the outer edge that says Designed by Sunbox on the top. Underneath sits the optional tube that allows you to use an 18350 battery and decrease the height of the mod. In order to do this though you must remove the two screws on the top of the battery tube top plate and use the included extra screws for the shorter tube. I haven’t had any 18350 batteries in years so was only able to test the Mixx with a single 18650 battery.

On what I’m going to call the front of the mod in order to describe the aesthetics is the nice sized fire button that sits inside the cut out in the front. The button is a bit clicky with no rattle and has a nice quality feel to it. Below the button is the Aspire name etched into the body vertically. I find it interesting that they decided to put their name here since it will most likely always be covered by the hand when holding the unit. I have found that I like to wrap my hand around from the back side and fire with my middle finger while resting my lower two fingers over the Aspire name.

upload_2021-10-23_9-38-6.png

On the left side are the + and – buttons to adjust wattage or voltage. They do protrude a little but I find them just a little on the small side. The way I like to hold the mod, my hand covers the buttons so I can’t really adjust the settings while holding the mod normally. This isn’t a huge deal but I guess could bother some people. Under the buttons are a couple of grooves cut into the body of the Mixx horizontally. I guess they are just for looks since they really don’t add anything to the hand feel for me. The battery tube also has three horizontal grooves that match the grooves on the base so they must just be for aesthetics.

upload_2021-10-23_9-38-42.png

On the right side of the mod is the MIXX name etched into the body and once again the three horizontal notches in the side of the mod. The notches are on both sides but do not run all the way around.

On the back side of the mod there is no branding and you just see the back of the battery tube. I do kind of wish I had an 18350 battery so I could try the Mixx in the shorter configuration.

upload_2021-10-23_9-39-24.png

upload_2021-10-23_9-39-42.png

Looking at the MIxx from the top side you can see that the inside of the battery tube is marked with a large red + to mark the battery polarity and the battery cap also has a – sign carved into the underside of it.

upload_2021-10-23_9-40-29.png

upload_2021-10-23_9-40-42.png

On the bottom of the Mixx is the star of the show. The display screen on the Mixx seems rather old school to me. It reminds me of displays of days past. It does however show all the important information. The screen displays battery level, coil resistance, output voltage, output amperage, and of course the set wattage in larger font. They also put the Designed By Sunbox information on the bottom. I found the display to be large enough to see easily and the mod fires quickly despite the old school display. I kind of laughed inside when I saw the lock/unlock symbol when you lock the adjustment buttons on the device. It reminded me of an old Atari game.

The screen adjusts in .1 watt increments but if you hold one of the adjustment buttons down then it will fast scroll in 1 watt increments. Also it will round robin if you hit the high or low setting.

The button operation is fairly straight forward and its operation is as follows.

- Press the fire button five times to lock the device

- While locked, hold the fire button down to turn it off

- Once off, press the fire button five times to turn it back on

- Press the fire button three times to go into stealth mode

- Press the + and – buttons to flip the screen

- Press the + and fire button to switch between VW,VV, and Bypass

- Press the – and fire button to lock the adjustment buttons

upload_2021-10-23_9-41-30.png

FINAL THOUGHTS:

The Aspire Mixx is really a very well designed and well- built device in my opinion. It’s fairly lightweight being CNC machined mostly from aluminum. It has a maximum output of 60 watts which may not be enough for some people but I run a lot of tanks in the mid 20’s range so it’s really plenty for most rtas that I use normally.

I felt like the firing response time was very good and I didn’t notice any output drop as the battery level got lower. The Mixx does not have a USB charging port so you have to charge your batteries externally. This could be a pro or a con depending on the person using it. I do kind of wish it had a port but wouldn’t keep me from purchasing it. One thing I don’t really love is the battery cap. It’s very similar to the one on the Boxx and is just a little hard to control when screwing the cap on after changing batteries.

One other thing I noticed was if I hold the mod and put my pinky underneath the mod then it irritates my pinky a little bit on the edges of the bottom plate. I think that could be solved by rounding the edges of the bottom plate a little more. It could just be me or the sample I received as I know a lot of people love this mod and I haven’t heard any complaints on the hand feel of it.

So, would I recommend the Aspire Mixx for others to purchase and enjoy? Yes, no questions asked. I think it’s a really great mod and fairly inexpensive for such a quality built device. I’d like to thank Sourcemore and Joyi for sending the Aspire Mixx for this review and thanks to the readers that always show up to read my reviews. Below is a link to the Sourcemore website if you’d like to take a look. Don’t forget to log into your account for best pricing.

Aspire MIXX Mod VW VV Box Mod 60W single 18650/18350 (sourcemore.com)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread