Aspire Nautilus and hot weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
Hi all,

I have a nautilus tank (BVC) and it seems to work fine when kept at room temperature. BUT... I have been having major issues since winter is over and it has been hot here. It is of course air conditioned at my work office and when I leave the office at the end of the day and exit the building, my tank starts leaking like a sieve out of the airhole at the bottom and up thru the stem as well. The abrupt temperature change seems to make the tank practically explode. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to prevent this?
thanks

berger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Carvahall
have you tried replacing the head? the only time Ive had any issue with leaking out the bottom or air holes thats always solved the issue...some of the clone heads will do that on occasion..if not that then there are replacement gaskets and center pins and seals available from aspire directly...just google aspire replacement parts..cheap and fairly fast ship times...week or so :)

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I use my Nautilus daily and have never had a problem except a little flooding at times. It had leaked once from the air hole and I never found the cause nor has it done it again. I usually keep it in my pocket right side up too. I concur with Berger and would replace the o-rings first. My wife uses the mini that a friend gave her and she hasn't had any problems either. Please post when you resolve it.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
I have replaced the coil, a couple of times to see if that was the issue. It is not the issue. And also the issue is not clones, my coils are certified aspire coils. So unless the entire box of coils is bad... and I honestly dont think that is the case either.
I think it's just too hot and the going from cool AC environment to outside HOT air unbalances the pressure in the tank and forces the juice out any avenue possible. Oh and it also wasnt that the tank was too full either as it was at the end of the day and it had maybe 2ml in it. Today was not as hot and it did not leak out like it did on the couple of very hot days that we had. I think I will try opening it to the largest hole and holding it upside down when I exit the building on the next hot day and then give it some time to adjust to the outside heat and humidity for several minutes and see if that helps prevent the flooding out.
As far as tightening the unit together... well, I tighten the coil into the base tight as it will go and I even tighten the base down pretty hard, but the base is hard to gage as I have fears of overtightening and stripping the threads either on the coil or the stem and fear of under tightening and having leaks. Maybe it is partly due to not tightened the base that last little bit. I do remember seeing a youtube video a while back about tightening these bases more than you feel comfortable doing typically. And the thing is, I have sat in my home all weekend with the same hot weather with NO AC going, and not had any leaking problem. It was just at work going from the AC environment to the sudden hot that seemed to make it explode.
And the juice I use is typically a 80/20 PG/VG and what I have been vaping is a darker juice and maybe it's just me, but it seems to me the darker the juice, the thicker the juice is?

I am still interested to hear from others who live in hot humid areas about their experiences with abrupt transitions from AC to outdoors.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I've thought about this for most of the day and have a couple of ideas. BTW, I'm from Kissimmee, Fl and I've been in both very hot and humid climate. I believe your right in the idea of the rapid heat theory. The liquid will expand and have to go somewhere so idea #1 is start vaping as soon as you walk out so that it will catch the overflow. #2 is loosen or remove the bottom cap for a couple of seconds for the tank to acclimate. Wharfrat's idea is the other theory that I also heard from a buddy. You would have to wait a few minutes until the tank reached it's highest temp to start vaping with it again. Good luck bro. I hope this might help.

This is undoubtedly a differential temperature/pressure issue. I'm sure your Aspire is as well constructed and quality-controlled as mine is (the Chinese are the _best_ at that side of things, bless 'em). FWIW, the ambient temperature here in my electronics-filled room down on the Caribbean coast of Colombia is 34 degrees C, and I've not had any leaks so far. What I will do, as an experiment, is take my tank into our air-conditioned bedroom for the night and bring it out in the morning and see if any leakage occurs. Will report back on that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread