Astro clone and Trident Clone..From FT...First mech mod and dripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlavorCloudJunkie

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2013
SC
HI. My friend told me to pick ip the astro clone and trident vlone from FT gor my first mech mod and rebuildable dripper.. Is this a good setup? I was thinking the gold trident clone with the astro clone. Will this be good for masdive clouds? She is going to teach me how to do the coils and wick (sub ohm). Let me know what you think... Thanks...

g0nadz

Nov 20, 2013
40km from Tallinn
I have the Astro, can't say anything bad about the clone except that it won't take anything that needs it's airflow through the bottom. The original has echings in the top for airflow, the clone does not. If you plan to use a dripper then it's ok. A ViVi, Protank or iClear30 is a no-go. Unless you do some dremel work or get an ariflow ring.

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
HI. My friend told me to pick ip the astro clone and trident vlone from FT gor my first mech mod and rebuildable dripper.. Is this a good setup? I was thinking the gold trident clone with the astro clone. Will this be good for masdive clouds? She is going to teach me how to do the coils and wick (sub ohm). Let me know what you think... Thanks...

Astro clone is my everyday mod at the moment and I love it. Shouldn't have any airflow problems if your going to drip. Not sure about the trident, but any three post dripper should do. The bottom button and spring are actually better on the Astro clone than on the real Astro.

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
I have the Astro, can't say anything bad about the clone except that it won't take anything that needs it's airflow through the bottom. The original has echings in the top for airflow, the clone does not. If you plan to use a dripper then it's ok. A ViVi, Protank or iClear30 is a no-go. Unless you do some dremel work or get an ariflow ring.

If you unscrew the tank until there's a small gap and then snug up the telescope a bit, the tank will sit tight and you will have airflow without a controller. I run a protank on mine occasionally and that's how I do it. For a dripper you can tighten the drip atty all the way down until it's flush and then snug up the battery for a seamless fit.

g0nadz

Nov 20, 2013
40km from Tallinn
If you unscrew the tank until there's a small gap and then snug up the telescope a bit, the tank will sit tight and you will have airflow without a controller. I run a protank on mine occasionally and that's how I do it. For a dripper you can tighten the drip atty all the way down until it's flush and then snug up the battery for a seamless fit.

Yes, but you don't have it sitting flush and it will put a strain on the threads.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm vaping a Nemesis and Trident clone right now. I've not tried the Astro, but it gets great reviews on FT. If that is what you want, I say go for it.

The Trident will make a lot of vapor if you set it up that way. It comes with one dual air holes option which are not big - I estimate under 2 millimeters. It also has three single air holes which I think are even smaller then the doubles. You definitily need the dual joles for dual coils. If you go below about 0.6 ohms combined dual coils in it I would suggest you should think seriously about drilling the air holes bigger or you will be pulling really hard and wasting the battery power for no gain. Check out this video for more info on it.

Your battery selection and a good charger will be critical to safety for low ohms. Hopefully your friend understands this, but not everyone who does this knows. You can read about batteries for low ohm use in this thread. Basically, the lower you go in ohms the more amps (power) you draw from your batts. If you use too much for too long the battery will start to heat up. Get one hot enough and it will vent gas, which is nasty stuff and venting can get dangerous as well.

Vape safe :thumb:

Last edited:

Grateful4jerry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wasatch mtns
I'm vaping a Nemesis and Trident clone right now. I've not tried the Astro, but it gets great reviews on FT. If that is what you want, I say go for it.

The Trident will make a lot of vapor if you set it up that way. It comes with one dual air holes option which are not big - I estimate under 2 millimeters. It also has three single air holes which I think are even smaller then the doubles. You definitily need the dual joles for dual coils. If you go below about 0.6 ohms combined dual coils in it I would suggest you should think seriously about drilling the air holes bigger or you will be pulling really hard and wasting the battery power for no gain. Check out this video for more info on it.

Your battery selection and a good charger will be critical to safety for low ohms. Hopefully your friend understands this, but not everyone who does this knows. You can read about batteries for low ohm use in this thread. Basically, the lower you go in ohms the more amps (power) you draw from your batts. If you use too much for too long the battery will start to heat up. Get one hot enough and it will vent gas, which is nasty stuff and venting can get dangerous as well.

Vape safe :thumb:

Are you able to get your trident flush on the nemesis? I just posted on another thread that I cant because of the minimal amount of threads on both my nemesis and trident clones, and then stumbled onto this. When i screw it down flush it seems like it's catching a portion of a thread because if i knock it or take drip tip off, it comes loose and is wobbly. Hoping you have a solution, but not too obvious of one that I feel dumb:)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Are you able to get your trident flush on the nemesis? I just posted on another thread that I cant because of the minimal amount of threads on both my nemesis and trident clones, and then stumbled onto this. When i screw it down flush it seems like it's catching a portion of a thread because if i knock it or take drip tip off, it comes loose and is wobbly. Hoping you have a solution, but not too obvious of one that I feel dumb:)

The 510 center pin screws up and down. What I do is take off the top part of the Nemesis, screw that center pin down away from the atty and put the atty on all the way, pretty tight by hand. Then screw the pin back in to make light contact with the atty. Install on the Nemesis and screw down the switch button so it's just snug on the battery. I've had minimal issues with the Trident unscrewing when I manipulate it and when that has happened I don't remember it becoming wobbly, but I would have tightened it down again right away.

If what you're saying is that when you screw down the Trident there is only part of a thread catching the Nemesis' threads, that is not the case with mine.

Grateful4jerry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wasatch mtns
If what you're saying is that when you screw down the Trident there is only part of a thread catching the Nemesis' threads, that is not the case with mine.

Yea, thats what I was trying to say, you phrased it better though. Unfortunately that is how I do it. Thanks though! Wanna trade:)

Last edited:

Grateful4jerry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wasatch mtns
I just saw the Magneto clone with inlaid crystals... Would it be a good choice? I like it cause it looks more like a girls mech mod.

I have the magneto and think its a pretty good mech, but a little tall/long for my liking(an inch taller than nemesis in 18650 mode). Not sure how the clone compares, but if the crystals are calling your name and reviews are good I'd grab it, and maybe one of the others on your list if you can afford at the moment.

The trident clone fits my magneto no problem so I would think/hope it fits the clone as well

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Heard nothing but good things about the Astro clone. And it is kickable with a 18650. Would recommend getting the Evolv kick 2, when starting to explore the sub ohm zone. The kick 2 will turn you mech mod into a Variable Wattage device, accept builds from .5-3 ohms, and max out at 15 watts. This will give you all the protection of an regulated device and allow you the room to learn how to build and get into sub ohms safety. The once you are skilled and learned enough to venture down to .3 ohms, you can un-kick it. But since some atomizers aren't good with sub ohm builds, you can still kick them at 15 watts and have a fantastic vape.

I am not into dripping, so can't say much there, but what I've seen on the trident looked good. Although with rba's, I find that paying for the Authentic devise is well worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread