ATF or Seafoam to break up carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zep--

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
SW Florida
I know mechanics use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) to break up carbon in an engine. And I had at one time an old Johnson 70hp boat motor that had massive carbon build up and I used a product called Seafoam and it cleaned it right up.

I no longer have the old boat motor but I still have a can of SeaFoam laying about, perhaps I will give it a try when an atomizer dies.

I don't know about the safety of using these products, so try at your own risk.

Zep--

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
Yes, but of course, you'd boil it in water or something after trying such a solvent I gather, to clean out what you used as a cleaner.

Zep--

and you're confident that this Seafoam is likely to be completely water soluble, and wash away with no residue?

Blimey! I take a sometimes alarmingly laid back attitude to health and safety (according to my wife anyway,) but even I'm not letting automotive decoking products near my lungs!

If you survive, do let us know how it turns out 8-o

wyzardd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Broomfield, CO
wyzardd.com
See if you can find some Trike*
It'll get the Seafoam/ATF cleaned off in a jiffy, and is comparatively safe afterwords.

* trichloroethylene or 1,1,1-trichloroethane ... I think the former is safer, but I don't happen to have any on me.

And throw in all the usual disclaimers, as well as a whole heap of unusual ones. Don't **** with TCE if you don't know what you're doing, etc. blah blah. :)

Last edited:

Zep--

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
SW Florida
Well, when my first atomizer dies (*going on 4 weeks and still vaping like a champ,
haven't ever cleaned or drained it, knock wood) i'll give the SeaFoam a try since I have some.

Zep--
*So far it;s been thru 10ml of grape 11mg, 10 ml of riskee 16mg, 10 ml of french pipe16mg, and 5ml each of 36mg marlboro and cola and about 15 prefilled carts along with various homemade no nic pg+g+ flavoring drips lemon, raspberry, almond)

Last edited:

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
See if you can find some Trike*
It'll get the Seafoam/ATF cleaned off in a jiffy, and is comparatively safe afterwords.

* trichloroethylene or 1,1,1-trichloroethane ... I think the former is safer, but I don't happen to have any on me.

And throw in all the usual disclaimers, as well as a whole heap of unusual ones. Don't **** with TCE if you don't know what you're doing, etc. blah blah. :)

ARE YOU ****ING CRAZY???

I'm sorry, but this is such bad and dangerous advice, I really have to protest.
You are recommending a mutagenic carcinogen to clean an unknown mixture (WTF is Seafoam actually composed of???) with not the slightest indication that any of the components of this toxic witches' brew are miscible in water or share any solvent in common!

Here's the MSDS for trichloroethylene:

Safety (MSDS) data for trichloroethylene

[SIZE=+1]Carcinogen. Mutagen. Toxic. Possible teratogen. Human mutagenic data. May cause systemic effects if swallowed or inhaled. May be addictive. Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin. Narcotic. Severe irritant. May cause dermatitis. Typical STEL 150 ppm. Typical LTEL 100 ppm. Carcinogen category 3. [/SIZE]

and

[SIZE=+1]Water solubility: negligible [/SIZE](so you CAN'T WASH IT OFF WITH WATER AFTERWARDS!)

I'm sorry, but which part of that don't you understand?

I love mad science as much as the next Baron Frankenstein, but you're going to get yourself or someone else killed with advice like this.

This is chemistry - it's poisonous if you get it wrong. IT. CAN. KILL.

Eye of newt and wing of bat simply won't cut it (though it would be less homicidal than the advice you're giving here!)

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
I assume this would work (or not) similarly to any other penetrating oil, like WD40 might perhaps,
at least thats what the 'pale oil'/Naptha/API parts of DeepCreep suggest to me.

It's not all that toxic, possibly no different to petrol or oil fumes
(like seem I breathe regularly when I spray WD40 on stuff).

Bet it wouldn't taste nice.

Trichloroethane sounds a bit nastier though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread