Atomizer (510) Cleaning with Denture Cleaner (w/Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yigs

Oct 16, 2010
Los Angeles
Ok here is my first Tutorial

I got the idea from Shortstuff116. I have just included a few steps and pictures to make it easier, perhaps more user friendly.

Key Concepts
1. Rinse
2. Use Denture Cleaner
3. Dry Burn

Cleaning Using Fixodent (Denture Cleaner)
-The Bridge (Nickel Mesh) has been removed for this Tutorial and Clarity
-2.5 Ohms 510 Atomizer used
-All pictures are clickable

Step One: Remove Atomizer from cartridge and power source

Step Two: Rinse Atomizer under warm water

Step Three: Blow the remaining water from the Atomizer

Step Four: Get hot water, Atomizer, and Denture Cleaner Tablet ready

Step Five: Drop in Atomizer and Tablet

Step Six: Let sit overnight (For this review I let it sit for ~20min)

Step Seven: Rinse out Atomizer under warm water

Step Eight: Heat up Atomizer until coils begin to glow

Step Nine: Slowly increase the time that the button is pushed making more of the coil glow at once

Step Ten: Once the Atomizer has stopped sizzling, it is dry. Maintain a high glow for 5-10 Seconds. Wisps of smoke will come from the atomizer, it should smell bad. Allow the atomizer 30 seconds to cool down and repeat again 5-10 seconds. Do this until either there is no more smoke or you have done 4 cycles of heat & cool.

Step Eleven: Re-Submerge in your Denture Cleaner for about 15 minutes swirling occasionally (you may use another tablet if you have extra)

Step Twelve: Rinse under warm water again

Step Thirteen: Blow out the atomizer

Step Fourteen: Press button a few times to heat up the Atomizer, we dont want the atomizer to get too hot (This is Drying Only)

Step Fifteen: Add a few drops of e-liquid to prime the Atomizer for use (Wait 1 min after adding the drops to allow the atomizer to become moist)

Enjoy Vaping!

Notes:

Before:

After:

Denture Cleaner (Fixodent):

Credit goes to Shortstuff116 where the steps were outlined for me in this thread
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-maintenance/85029-5-months-510-atty-cleaning.html

Helpful Tips:

1. Swirling the Denture Cleaner does help clean the Atomizer better, although it isn't required
2. Polident for Smokers may work better then the Fixodent I used
3. A 5 Volt USB Passthrough helps because of the increased voltage from 3.7V and not needing to recharge batteries

FAQ:

Q: What type of power source was used?
A: A 5 Volt USB Passthrough from Madvapes.

Q: How long do you press the button for during a dry burn?
A: Instead of one long press its a series of presses in order to slowly heat the coil.

Q: What type of Atomizers does this work for?
A: All of my 510 Atomizers from Madvapes work (1.7,2.5,3.2 Ohms) the 1.7 is a LR Atomizer. Just be cautious of how quickly the lower ohm Atomizers heat up.

Q: Does this shorten the lifespan of the Atomizer?
A: There is much debate, for me I don't think so, look at your toaster does it still work after a dryburn?

Q: Whats so special about denture cleaner?
A: It acts as a Effervescent, Anti-Bacterial, Detergent, and Whitener.
-Effervescent: It bubbles to agitate gunk off the Atomizer (Sodium Bicarb & Citric Acid)
-Anti-Bacterial: Kills Bacteria
-Detergent: Sodium Polyphosphate + others
-Whitener: Sodium Perborate & Potassium Monopersulfate

Q: What if the atomizer is still dirty?
A: Repeat steps One through Fifteen, If that doesn't work you may need another Atomizer.

Q: What if my atomizer now tastes bad?
A: Remove your drip tip or Cartridge and press the button, make sure you don't see the coil glowing. If the coil glows you haven't primed the Atomizer with enough E-Liquid. Perhaps it is still Dirty.

Q: Can you use an automatic battery for this?
A: Yes, but not easily and I don't recommend it.

Q: Whats the worst that could happen?
A: You break the Atomizer by allowing it to get too hot (white-hot). Orange or slightly bright orange isn't too hot.

Q: What is a dryburn?
A: It is when the Atomizer is heated without any E-liquid on it and the coils become orange hot.

Q: What is a Bridge?
A: A nickel mesh extension from the coils allowing the E-liquid to wick from your cartridge.

Please only post comments regarding this method only. We don't need a method war to ensue.

Thanks for reading,
~Yigs

Trulee

Dec 7, 2010
out in the sticks
GREAT pics and instructions. Noob here just recieved my ego yesterday and as my luck is I ordered the automatic batteries. I will reorder manual batteries next time, the bigger ones too. Then I'll be able to clean my attys properly. I will come back then and let you know how this cleaning procedure went. More than likely ppl read your post, it works great and they don't bother coming back here to let you know. I will. GREAT JOG yigs

dhewey

Oct 31, 2010
Northern Idaho
Atomizer cleaning is very important and without it your atty will slowly produce less and less vapor until it fails entirely.

The 15-Step Method described above is a bit too lengthy for me to follow but I am sure it does a superior job.

On the other hand, if you are satisfied -- as I am -- with an adequate cleaning job with less fuss, then do the following:

(This assumes a MANUAL battery)

1 -- Rinse the atty under hot running tap water.

2 -- Blow through it to remove excess water and, if you have a can of compressed air, blow it out thoroughly with that holding the atty about two or three inches from the airstream.

3 -- Attach the atty to the battery and activate it for 4 to 6 seconds to evaporate the excess moisture. Prior overnight drying is not necessary. When the sizzling stops the atty is dry.

4 -- Dry-burn by pressing and holding the button for 5 to 10 seconds until you see an orange glow. Let it cool down for several seconds between dry-burns. If you are doing it correctly you will see a small amount of burned-smelling smoke rising from the coil area. The burned smell indicates you are burning off residue. Dry-burn the atty this way four or five times.

5 -- Before vaping again, remoisten the coil with a few drops of e-liquid and enjoy.

The basic steps for cleaning are -- Rinse, blow out, dry, dry-burn, remoisten.

Do this regularly and your atomizers will last for a long time and produce clouds of delightful vapor for you!

:vapor:

Last edited:

yigs

Oct 16, 2010
Los Angeles
Yea so after doing this for a while (2 months) im starting to notice a few things.

If I wash the atomizers in the Denture Cleaner about once a week a 'true' dryburn is not necessary just a drying burn (get rid of the water)

The dry burn part was really for my really gunked up attys, cleaner alone might be sufficient.

I blew two 2.5 ohm attys this week. I was doing this method with them but was talking to the girlfriend and I looked down and each had gotten white hot (using a passthrough) time to buy more attys.

I have had attys soak in denture cleaner for 2 weeks (just lazy) no noticed adverse effects.

Glad your liked my post, was wondering if I messed up somehow

DirtyHarry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
Fremont, CA
I have two issues - attys that get "tired" and produce less vape, and attys that are clogged and can't pass air. I've boiled them, usually to almost no effect - especially in the clogged attys. What is the best way to dissolve and remove the PG/VG material from atomizers? This question still seems to be unanswered, at least categorically.

-MJ

This works almost toooo well... Did this last night and I just got one to break back in. I would add ' and soak your atomizers in unflavored liquid for a couple hours...' Brilliant though, thank you. I see this being a weekly routine.

Rediscovering how delicious my RY4's and Strawberries are

Last edited:

REGGAEGEEK

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
West Georgia
Couple of older threads that used denture cleaner....our grandmother has dentures and absolutely swears by Stain Away Plus Professional brand...I found it at WalGreens and i have to say it did work pretty good. I now just dry burn them a couple of times and bump up the Voltage a bit.....when they slow down too much i chuck em. Good post and excellent instructions!

yigs

Oct 16, 2010
Los Angeles
I have two issues - attys that get "tired" and produce less vape, and attys that are clogged and can't pass air. I've boiled them, usually to almost no effect - especially in the clogged attys. What is the best way to dissolve and remove the PG/VG material from atomizers? This question still seems to be unanswered, at least categorically.

-MJ

I use this method for that exact purpose to remove built up PG/VG, I probably cycle through attys about every 4 days. I just toss them into an old soda bottle. I add the tablet and some hot water, I shake it up a bit and let it sit. Just a note please release the pressure, no need in blowing yourself up now.

For everyone else, try this for about 2 months and you'll develop your own strategy and variance with this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread