Atomizer 'break in'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poytim

Feb 21, 2010
Boston, USA
I've got 3 atty's going, one for the fruits, one for the coffees, and one for the sodas. I decided to start doing this because these flavors, when mixed in the same atty, taste awful!

I cleaned one atty, 'primed', and started using the fruits - works great!

I cleaned another atty (using the 'water and dry burn' method both times); I didnt pop the atty (turns to orange in 4-5 seconds or so). After adding the 8 drops or so to prime it, then trying to use, I get decent flavor and throat hit...but almost no vapor! After a few draws, the flavor and throat hit start to fade, then the vapor increases - until I get a good vapor with 'the slightly burnt taste', indicating a couple of drops are needed. This has gone on for a few days...I try to stick it out, but then switch to my working fruit atty. The cola atty didnt need cleaning, so I've been without coffee for a few days :(

I pretty much only direct drip.

SO, today I decided to try a new atty to get some coffee...much to my surprise (and disappointment), the brand new atty acts exactly like the other one! I had been using what I believe is Dekang coffee (PG); so I tried some Starpuff (VG) and got the same result.

I've tried switching batteries, using a PT, and now changing juices - all with the same result. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong! I do not want to try any other juices, as I'm trying to be good about not flavor-contaminating them.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide!

Scorched

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
That's intresting. To me it does not sound like you are doing anything wrong. At first I was going to say it could be VG clogging up your atomizers, but when you mentioned you were using only a mostly PG mix when the problem occured I ruled that out. If this is only happening with your coffee flavors I would begin to suspect that there could be something up with the juice, maybe it is sugary. Keep in mind that there is a chance your atomizer was DOA, but the likleyhood of two DOA atty's is low.

I have had problems with sweeter juices destroying brand new atomizers. Make sure you blew out all of the residual juice in there. If that doesn't work, you may want to try another cleaning method; at this point I can't think of anything else. You may consider using the crst pro mouthwash method.

If you still don't have any success and you believe your atomizer needs to go in the scrap pile you might try removing the atomizer bridge and wicking fibers. I do not recommend this though unless you know for sure you cannot resurrect it. I have got a few attys to start working again that way, but you can only use them for direct dripping. Check this link: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/56499-510-atomizer-resurrection-mod.html

Let me know how it goes, I hope you can resolve the problem. Malfunctioning attys are frustrating, good luck :)

poytim

Feb 21, 2010
Boston, USA
Thank you very much for the note and interest; I'll let you know what I come up with. I bought a multimeter today to test the voltage.

I already use crest pro health for my mouth; might be the first vaping-related thing I've had on hand!

RE: the juice, I'll try another flavor. Been a little too busy to tinker with things, but if I find something out I will come back and let you know.

poytim

Feb 21, 2010
Boston, USA
With 8 drops, are you sure your not flooding the atty?

I tried once with 5 drops, and it was nasty burnt! BUT, the symptoms do sound like flooding...

I tinkered a little bit, with perhaps some success; I took a screwdriver and pushed down on the white part of the atty, to make sure the battery end was sticking out far enough to make good contact. I also have only been putting in one drop, and the atty works OK; not great flavor or throat hit, but there is a little bit of each (with a fruit flavor, 25mg). Vapor production is good.

For my other atty that is acting the same, I'm going to start by just dripping one drop at a time to see if that helps. I find it odd that it might be flooding, as it doesnt leak (except, of course, when I really do flood it).

Multimeter is still in the box...back to work!

poytim

Feb 21, 2010
Boston, USA
An update; I checked the resistance on all my attys today; ranged from 2.8 - 3.2. I think that is OK?

With the atty that I cleaned using the water/dry burn method, it still likes just one drop best - if I put in two, it doesnt work so well at first. It's a little annoying; perhaps I can find a cart mod I am happy with for it. I'm going to try to use this atty again all day with a fruit flavor and see how it goes. It went OK yesterday.

I think it could have been the coffee flavor; it is mostly VG, and it is very dark compared to all of my other flavors.

I need to find a t-tip, but I think I'll post in the cart mod section on that...I remember seeing a plastic-type one somewhere, but now I can not find it!

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's it! Thanks Miss MiA

Since the thread came up again I'll add, Super T also has a delrin version now too, and I think I heard Altsmoke as well, and I dunno maybe others. Improvements have been made in at least some of them since 'back then,' to help funnel in the liquid better. Also shortie versions now. :)

motorcity57

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
I'M RIGHT HERE
i think you need all new atty's, my atty's read less than 2 ohms. and they are cheapo's. i have atty's that read over 3 ohm's, they are at the bottom of my junk box. cause they don't vape worth hooey.
there are new low resistance atty's for sale these days , but i don't think they are worth dbl the price. i have to replace an atty about once a week. i just figure it's worth the price to vape with good stuff. i'm still saving money.

none of your atty's work on coffee flavor? but they all work fine on your other flavors? i got a quick fix. give up coffee's? sorry

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
i think you need all new atty's, my atty's read less than 2 ohms. and they are cheapo's. i have atty's that read over 3 ohm's, they are at the bottom of my junk box. cause they don't vape worth hooey.
there are new low resistance atty's for sale these days , but i don't think they are worth dbl the price. i have to replace an atty about once a week. i just figure it's worth the price to vape with good stuff. i'm still saving money.

none of your atty's work on coffee flavor? but they all work fine on your other flavors? i got a quick fix. give up coffee's? sorry
MC57......What type of atty are you using that your going through one per week? I've been using BE112's that last for months at a time(with occassional cleanings).Seems extreme to me!

:)The Wiz!

motorcity57

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
I'M RIGHT HERE
i use cheap 5$ atty's. they are supposed to be 901's. i bought 10 a month ago the vendor said they were not SLB. i bought 10 from a different vendor just the other day, he told me these are SLB.
i just used 1 a week as an average, sometimes i'll pop an atty in 1 day with my 5 volt Prodigy, sometimes an atty will last a month , but usually not much more than that. and i don't wait for death, when vapor and throat get weak i try a cleaning and if that doesnt pump it up , they go to the junk box, for desperate times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread