Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
In order to advance our understanding of atomiser lifespan, in terms of factors such as voltage used, any cleaning done etc, it would be good for as many people as possible to report their dead atomisers here so that in time we might spot some trends. We cannot hope to make atomizers last forever, but we hopefully can find ways to help them last a bit longer, and maintain a good level of vape quality.

* Model number (901, 801, etc)

* Lifetime and use profile (e.g. '2 months, used daily, light use')

* Power supplys used (e.g. 'standard battery and occasional passthrough')

* While what you were doing at the time (this may be coincidental, it is still worth noting)

* Had you performed any cleaning? (if so, what and how often)

* What juices did you mainly use (specify brand, flavor and if whether PG, VG or both, if known)

* drip, cartridge or both

* If you can see the heater coil, how does it look?

* If you are able to include a photo (using macro mode) looking into the atomizer, that will be very useful too

Thanks a lot ! Your contribution can make a difference :)

Provide a long story if you wish, but brief notes such as '801, 2 weeks, never cleaned, standard battery, VG based toffee' is fine.

Last edited:

butterbean03

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Central Texas USA
My 401 has been going solid for four weeks of probably medium vaping. Just ordered a 901. My e-cigar seems to be doing real well also. These atomisers are like cars, you still have maintenance on them that you should be performing to keep them going.
About once every 2 weeks, I soak mine in Coca Cola for about 30 minutes (got this off the forum somewhere) and then rinse them out with water and spray with canned air. Let them air dry for a day or so and put them back in use. You will have to prime them and then it takes about half of a cartridge before it is back to normal. It takes about a week to break in a new 401 atomiser.
Hope this helps!

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
1. RN4072 white lived 1 month
daily use alternating with dse 901 ( still going)
used with batteries and also passthrough+mains adaptor
died on passthrough
drained every evening/overnight
ordinary PG Tobacco High/Low/Zero carts No dripping.
coil is clean
2.RN4072 white lived 2 days
alternating with dse 901 ( still going)
died on passthrough
coil is clean
3. RN4072 silver lived 2 weeks
alternating with dse 901 ( still going) and RN4072's white.
died on passthrough
drained every evening/overnight
coil is clean

Shall attempt resurrection with lemon juice et c but not hopeful.

:rolleyes:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Ed - exactly: one can't find a pattern in just one person'e experience. But amongsth all the seeming randomness, there will be correlations.

Kinabaloo--correlation is tough but your theroy about flavoring is right on point as my results are showing. There is a definate correlation between flavors and residue build up--being water soluble is not the only concern as the results are clearly showing--will post with pictures soon--Dam Taxes--RRRRRRRuffff----Sun

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
What would be a test for that? Maybe heat-up a soldering iron and drop flavoring onto it? :confused: I guess if you drip enough times...say 20 drips...a person could look to see if anything is left on the iron.

We are using real brand new atomizers to get to the bottom of this with a lot of help from kinabaloo et al. So this is no mock deal--we what real life results here if it takes 100 atomizers to get to the bottom of this issue---Sun

While it is certain that juices vary in dry deposit levels and this will affect atomizer lifetime, we dont have anything like complete knowledge on which ones are best. Puff - using a soldering iron would give a rough idea. Heating a fixed amount in a teaspoon over a flame would give a more accurate/visual result.

Some of the other factors it would be nice to know include:

Is there a difference between PG and VG-based juices? We are now running experiments to find out whether VG and PG themselves contribute to the deposit by partially decomposing. VG has a much higher boiling point.

'Dripping is harmful' - fact or fiction (some say this is fiction as carts make more money, but let's see)

'Running at higher voltages reduces atty lifespan' - true or false (there's hearsay both ways; let's find out what the data shows)

Last edited:

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
Hmmm, this is all very interesting.

Kissbox atomizers
3 atomizers lasted 1 week each (all were used extremely heavily with janty juices. Tipping the atomizers upside down at end of day until the next morning didn't seem to lengthen their lifespan at all. Also tried blowing air through them, nothing changed.)
1 atomizer lasted 4 days (used lightly with janty juices, topping off carts)
1 atomizer lasted 4 weeks (and still works, just seems like I'm getting vapor, but wrong temperature, not satisfying anymore. Heavy use. I have used this with janty juices and also some cut to half nic levels with some VG and a bit of vodka)

Liberty Stix atomizer (DSE 103C?)
2 lasted approximately 1 week each. Both were used heavily refilling with Jane's ecigsales juice. No cleaning was performed. Topping off carts.

NJOY NPRO
1 atomizer lasted approximately a month on EXTREMELY light use, another lasted 2 weeks on heavy use. Also using Jane's ecigsales juice. No cleaning performed. Topped off carts.

As we all have seen, the main issue with the "cold" atomizer is the black carbon like gunk that builds up on the atomizer. I suppose that I have seen a slight improvement with doing half pg, half vg, and some vodka (with the thought that maybe since alcohol is a solvent to pg and vg????) has helped a bit. I cannot tell for sure though, because mine always last longer than my husbands by at least two-fold. It seems to be in how hot we allow our atomizers to burn. I have tried the cola cleaning, no change. I am not gutsy enough to take an atomizer and boil it in lemon juice. But as I'm sitting here realizing that I have a handful of off-brands sittings waiting to be vaped, what do I have to lose by trying it....

lordmage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Dundalk,Maryland, USA
* Model number (901, 801, etc)
901x3
* Lifetime and use profile (e.g. '2 months, used daily, light use')
2 months rotation with each other used daily blown dry nightly and warm water soaked and dried weekly
* Power supplys used (e.g. 'standard battery and occasional passthrough')
standard batt no passthur :(
* While what you were doing at the time (this may be coincidental, it is still worth noting)
trying to vap
* Had you performed any cleaning? (if so, what and how often)
listed above
* What juices did you mainly use (specify brand, flavor and if whether PG, VG or both, if known)
pg vg mixes from johnson creek
* drip, cartridge or both
dripped,topped carts,carts
* If you can see the heater coil, how does it look?
coil was black in one a grey brown in two

no pics sorry but was able to dismantle them discovered in all cases either the build up got to much and cause a disconnect in the coil with the circuit or wiring snapped off at the atomiser connection

birdbrain

May 18, 2009
West country UK
901's 3 of them in one month. Am I just unlucky?
Measured resistance after reading about "cleaning", they all measured open.
Took 1st one apart, found wires had broken off at battery connector ring.
Repaired all three using them, whilst waiting for new order delivery.
Going to use the new ones on arrival, if they fail open circuit in the 1st month will ask for guarantee replacement.
So repairs will be backups.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Since March 1st I've gone through 7 atomizers with daily vaping with cartridges on my DSE901. No dripping. Here is my history....

First atty worked good the first day, lousy after that. Was warranty replaced. After numerous cleaning tricks it finally died. Battery powered and Johnson Creek & Pure Smoker juice.

Second atty lasted a couple of days and died. Dissection showed a broken solder connection. Battery powered and Johnson Creek & Pure Smoker juice.

Third atty lasted almost four weeks. Finally died when it got fried when the battery came on while refilling the cartridge. Battery powered and Johnson Creek & Pure Smoker juice.

Fourth atty lasted about 3 weeks when I fried it. The button stuck on my manual 5v pass through. Sure made a nice snap, crackle and pop sound. Battery and manual pass through powered with Johnson Creek & Pure Smoker juice.

Fifth atty lasted almost 3 weeks when I partially fried it. I got distracted and forgot to release the manual button. It died a couple of days later. Battery and manual pass through powered with Johnson Creek & Pure Smoker juice.

Sixth atty just went cold after two weeks of use. Battery and manual pass through powered with Johnson Creek & Pure Smoker juice.

Seventh atty lasted about 36 hours. Just went cold. Battery and manual pass through powered with Johnson Creek & Pure Smoker juice.

My cleaning regime consisted of draining and blowing out nightly. Rinse out with hot tap water once a week. Attys #6 & 7 I tried rinsing out with a daily full force hot tap water cleaning. I have since discontinued that as I suspect it led to their early death. I have also reduced the voltage on my manual PT from 5.2 to 4.6. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
The culprit's fairly obvious on this one:

2 DSE901 (the original) attys and one RN4075 serially fried each in about a week or less on an automatic USB 901 pass-through connected to a powered 5V hub, with no in-line battery. Mostly ECig flue-cured liquid and some JC Tobacco liquid.

1 RN4075 still going strong after 4 weeks with the same liquids on an SD.

Heavy use on SD; medium use on USB. No cleaning except for occasional blow-out and overnight drain. Did try soaking dead ones in coke or hot lemon juice mixture -- still dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread