Atomizer e-Juice Injection Prototype – Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
Hey vapers, finally got round to contributing something to the mod sections, the Atomizer e-juice Injection Prototype

I’ve been looking around the mod forum for a while and there’s always a thread about future technology of the e-cig, primarily the use of injecting the e-juice into the atomizer or storage of the e-juice. Anyway this inspired me to go and build a prototype e-juice injection method heavily based on a thread started by [kinabaloo] who mentioned about using a spray nozzle.
I developed this prototype using a spray nozzle from a small perfume bottle as it sprays approximately 2 drops of e-juice. For the reservoir I used a very small vial type thing I found rummaging around in my GF’s contact lens stuff. It actually contained eye drops but it fits perfectly onto the enlarged ridge where the feeder straw for the pump is attached. I then hollowed out a small channel in the cartridge and inserted the spay nozzle and precariously stuck it in place. The finishing touch was some electrical tape to fix everything in place and seal the cartridge so air won’t escape from the wrong places.
Overall the performance of the unit is good, I filled the vial with some horrible Risky Yuice to try it out on a dry atomizer and it produced very good vapour, same as if I were to drip directly. I haven’t used this for anything other than a prototype / demonstration so it has not been rigorously tested but the first results are promising. Ideally it needs better engineering as I feel the spray nozzle is way too close to the atomizer and I don’t know how it will react to prolonged heat i.e. poisons or melting. I also think I should have washed the nozzle better before use as it did taste a bit of Hugo Boss. . . .
Think this just about wraps it up, hope you find it useful for ideas to further improve upon. :)

I have attached some pictures for you to look at.

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4085.jpg
    IMG_4085.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 143

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Hey, it looks a lot like something i built some time back; thanks for remembering that :)

If the whole thing was in a larger case, it is already a viable option. But making it easy for a user to be able to fill-up the container, change the atomiser and battery etc - these kinds of things are not easy, nor is avoiding any chance of leaks and making the whole thing easy to repeatably construct at a reasonable cost.

A manually operated nozzle is the simple equivalent of an ultrasonic transducer to spray a mist of droplets onto the heater coil (or perhaps just the metal wadding bridge); an ultrasonic jet could activate concurrently with the atomizer.

An alternative architecture would be for the juice part to be like an analog lighter, used once per 'cig' (10-15 vapes). This would need a modified cart but the rest of the VP would be used unchanged.

I decided to develop an automatic version. And i really must do more on that ...

Last edited:

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
Hey, it looks a lot like something i built some time back; thanks for remembering that :)

If the whole thing was in a larger case, it is already a viable option. But making it easy for a user to be able to fill-up the container, change the atomiser and battery etc - these kinds of things are not easy, nor is avoiding any chance of leaks and making the whole thing easy to repeatably construct at a reasonable cost.

A manually operated nozzle is the simple equivalent of an ultrasonic transducer to spray a mist of droplets onto the heater coil (or perhaps just the metal wadding bridge); an ultrasonic jet could activate concurrently with the atomizer.

An alternative architecture would be for the juice part to be like an analog lighter, used once per 'cig' (10-15 vapes). This would need a modified cart but the rest of the VP would be used unchanged.

I decided to develop an automatic version. And i really must do more on that ...

Yer its better to at least have a reference to other peoples ideas!!

Im personally not convinced by this technology, without a doubt its going to be bulky and messy. its going to serve well as a stop-gap between ideas however. i think a more appropriate idea is to have a atomizer element inside a container of e-juice and atomize it that way, this will mean u can have a non-servicable commercial product where ejuice and atomizer element can come in one package. I still havent worked out how the vapour can pass through a membraine and not the e-liquid though. . . a definate future tech.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
MarcE - a very fine nozzle would do. Only vapor can get out as it would be under pressure when heated. It makes sense to separate the juice flow from the air flow; the vapor then joins the air flow. So inside the leak-proof reservoir/atty component, a small amount would be passed to the heater and the vapor on expansion (a huge volume change) is pushed out under pressure through the tiny nozzle into the air stream. A little like a technology vageorge pointed out not too long ago but the flaw there for our purposes is that it required heating the whole reservoir! We have only the power to heat a tiny amount of liquid at a time.

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
MarcE - a very fine nozzle would do. Only vapor can get out as it would be under pressure when heated. It makes sense to separate the juice flow from the air flow; the vapor then joins the air flow. So inside the leak-proof reservoir/atty component, a small amount would be passed to the heater and the vapor on expansion (a huge volume change) is pushed out under pressure through the tiny nozzle into the air stream. A little like a technology vageorge pointed out not too long ago but the flaw there for our purposes is that it required heating the whole reservoir! We have only the power to heat a tiny amount of liquid at a time.

Kinabaloo this is an interesting idea i might get some nichrome and see if the pressure difference allows this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread